not a blow over... valve gave out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswalker

Reaction score
So I pitched yesterday about 4pm. checked last night and everything was fine. checked this morning, and looked like I had my first blow-over. nothing was in the air lock, so I topped it off, and went to the shop to get my wet-vac. Upon inspection there was no beer on top of the lid. SO I think the spigot valve on the bucket has given way. What do? Advice?
95JHWrO.jpg

Is that a ROPAK bucket? I saw somewhere the other day about the bottoms leaking after the glue gave out. There are 2 different versions of those buckets I guess

Cleaned and sanitized everything. Looks like the seals on the spigot gave out. Transferred to another bucket, but there's a lot more head space. there seems to be almost no activity from the yeast yet. should i give it a day or so, or re-pitch?
lhFZNjx

Definitely give it at least another day. Depending on the strain, I've had lag times of between 4 hours and 3 days.

I agree with kh5...I use plain buckets for fermenting and save the spigot for bottling.

All my fermenters have spigots. But you have to get used to tightening them properly. Too loose or too tight & they'll leak. It doesn't necessarily mean the seals are bad.

Also there's a possibility that the spigot was on TOO tight, and instead of a nice even pressure on the two washers, one might have been twisted/not seated as flush with the face of the bucket as it could have been which developed the leak. Had that happen with my bottling bucket once when I went all gorilla strength with the back nut. Good thing I leak tested with sanitizer first and caught it.

I'd check to make sure the rubber washers are in good shape, maybe grab a few spares, and re-assemble just over two finger tight with a leak test. If you like the spigot, keep it.

Latest posts

Back