Nostalgia Kegerator take FOREVER to get down to 38 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bekyndnunwind

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought a Nostalgia KRS-2100 after reading about the upgrades that are now included standard (double regulator, etc).

When I first started up the fridge with 1/2 keg in it, it would only reach a temp of 47 degrees when set on MAX. After reading some things online, I decided to remove the faceplate, etc for the thermostat and go ahead and turn a screw that controls the temperature range a few turns clockwise.

I was successfully able to lower the temperature to 41 degrees, and then I gave the screw a few more turns and it kept getting lower. Now my problem is that it seems to take FOREVER to reach 37 degrees. It'll run for 2 hours, hit 37 degrees, then turn off. In 30 minutes its back on again.

I put a fan on the compressor to ensure it doesn't overheat. Any advice on what I should do? How much would it cost for me to call up a refrigerator repair man to get this thing running right?? LOL

I just looked that model up. $400 on Amazon.

Yikes.

Honestly, IMHO that's too much money for something that doesn't work the way it's supposed to straight out of the box. If it was me I'd return the thing.

I see commercial quality kegerators on craigslist from time to time for $200 to $250. They generally need some cosmetic TLC, but I'd wager you'd be happier with one in the long run.

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/app/2589123551.html

A buddy of mine has one just like that. It will freeze a 1/2 barrel keg overnight if you get careless and turn the temp control too far. That one's a little rough looking, but with the $175 you'd save I bet you could make it look nice and pretty.

Saw one one on craigslist a few weeks ago that would hold 3 1/2-barrell kegs. $500. Still kicking myself for not snatching it up. I mean, the kids would only have had to eat ramen for a week. Small price to pay, right? (Yes, I'm kidding about that....) :)

How long has the keg been in the kegerator? To cool a full 15 gal keg it can take well over a day to cool down from room temperature. During that tHat time the kegerator will cycle on and off frequently. Before messing with it give it 2 days to equalize temp.

Wow, thanks for the advice guys. Woke up this morning and it seems to be holding at 37-38 degrees effortlessly. Poured a small glass just to see how well it poured, and it was PERFECT. Perfect amount of head. Very pleased now.

Sorry, I know this is an old post, but i was just given a KRS-2100. I am in the process of fixing it up with the parts i need, but i am having the same issue. It will cool down to about 41 on medium. Where exactly is the thermostat? I've never worked on a refrigerator before so I'm not sure. Anyone have pics?

I have had one of these for 3 years now, and it works fine. However, I did have to modify the thermostat adjustment when I first bought it to get it down into the mid-30's. Google Nostagia kegerator thermostat adjustment and you will find all sorts of threads and even youtube videos on how to do it. It's easy. Good luck.

Back