Kegerator set at 38 degrees, beer pouring at 50+ degrees, what gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I hate when basic science fails me, but here I am. I have a Danby fridge converted to 2-keg kegerator and am running an inkbird controller set at 38 degrees, the beer is pouring at 50-53 degrees. The temperature probe is held against a keg with a neoprene coozy. I just placed a thermoworks temperature probe next to the inkbird probe under the koozy and it read 39 degrees. I placed the thermoworks temperature probe in the front of the keg next to the door and it is reading 44 degrees. Current highs outside are in the high 90's(SE Georgia). I placed my thermometer in my glass and poured and it registered 52-53 degrees as I pour(second and third pour of the night). My tower has mediocre insulation but I wouldn't think the beer would warm that much(12+ degrees) through the foot of uninsulated tower, or would it? So my question is, is it reasonable for 38 degree to warm to 50-53 degrees when going up a 12" faucet tower? What should I do to remedy this? I am already planning to add a tower chiller and a neoprene cover over the tower. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Towers are notorious for warm pours. But if you want to know how much the temperature is increasing during the pour, you need to know the true starting beer temperature. And since you can't really measure that directly, you need to know the average air temperature in your kegerator over time.

When I was dialing in my keezer setup, I noted the temperature at "half keg height" every 5 minutes over a few hours (as it cycled through on/off cycles), then averaged it. Use a known good probe for this. and don't open the fridge for any reason.

Is the kegerator in an airconditioed house or outside in the heat?

We do not have these issues in SW Georgia. You should move this side of I75. But the fishing won't be as good.

Does the kegerator have a built in fan that blows the cold air up the tower? If not, I recommend getting one. Lot of places sell what is basically a computer fan with AC power. And this Popular Mechanics article has some good tips on insulating the tower by running the beer line through copper tubing and then using spray foam to fill all the empty space in the tower. How to Keep Your Kegerator Foam-Free

Is the kegerator in an airconditioed house or outside in the heat?

We do not have these issues in SW Georgia. You should move this side of I75. But the fishing won't be as good.
Kegerator is outside, the misses would kill me if I brought another piece of beer related equipment indoors! It is in a covered porch and it is subject to the unrelenting heat during the day. I'm close to Savannah, the fishing and salt water access can't be beat!

Does the kegerator have a built in fan that blows the cold air up the tower? If not, I recommend getting one. Lot of places sell what is basically a computer fan with AC power. And this Popular Mechanics article has some good tips on insulating the tower by running the beer line through copper tubing and then using spray foam to fill all the empty space in the tower. How to Keep Your Kegerator Foam-Free
I just picked up a computer fan from a friend to build a tower chiller, I already have a fan rigged to blow on the compressor and one running inside the kegerator. I may do the spray foam later but I am still figuring kegging out. I did order a neoprene sleeve to go over the tower to help with insulation. Thanks for the info!

Back