Northwest Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
used it in an amber and ipa both had temps that exceeded 70deg and no strong unwanted esters - the ipa i just kegged was with a 6oz slurry from the previous batch

fermented from 1.066 to 1.005 even with mashing around 152°

If you are refering to Wyeast 1332 I use the yeast for some of my APA's. It is from Hales Brewery in Seattle and gives a mildly spicy aftertaste. It seems to me to be close to a packman otherwise...not as clean with the spicyness mentioned. I use it when I am trying to balance out the hop and malt profiles in my APA's. I feel like it is lost in very hoppy brews. I am also using it in American Browns and like it there a great deal. I believe but do not know for a fact that it is the yeast used by Hales in their Nut Brown Ale. If you like Browns try their Brown for sure...it is a seasonal and very hard to find out of the Northwest US.

Yea its the 1332 I used it for a Rye IPA (all grain) My OG was 1.061. I usually have about 3 days of active fermentation visible in the airlock (i know people say the airlock is not a good indicatior but it has been consistent for me). I am now on day 6 now and still have mild activity in the airlock is this a slower yeast? I started seeing activity in the airlock about 8 hours after pitching yeast. My mash temp was around 153. The fermentation temp has remaind between 66-68 degress my usual ale temp. I have read a bit about the spicy aftertast but i thought it would be nice in a rye so i gave it a shot. You get Hales in Wyoming??

I've used this yeast in a number of recipes. It does add a decidedly malty character to the finished product.

The hops in an IPA don't seem quite as crisp with this yeast, but I like the richer mouthfeel. With that said, I used it recently in a Juniper Rye IPA and it came out fantastic. I love that beer. Also in an APA it did a great job...yummy.

My favorites so far with this yeast are an India Black Ale and India Brown Ale. Both are among my favorites now. For some reason, the calculated 99 IBUs on my India Black do not seem overpowering....but instead they are "just right". I have a feeling it's due in part to the malty power of this yeast, but likely to other factors as well.

I also just did an oatmeal stout and a rye stout with this yeast, but they aren't ready yet. I'm sure they'll turn out well, though. I want to use it in an Imperial Stout, but have concerns about attenuation. I think I'll pitch a pack of Notty along with the 1332 just to make sure it attenuates properly.

Some other notes with this yeast. It does often take longer to ferment. 2-3 weeks is not unusual. The kraeusen may stick around for that entire time, and be thick and chewy as well. I haven't fermented too warm (66-70F), and have not noticed any extreme esters or fruitiness. I did note that it seems to be more sensitive to mash temp in terms of fermentables and attenuation. It doesn't tear through anything you throw at it like a bull in a china shop. With a yeast like Notty, I can mash at 158 in most cases and still get off-the-charts attenuation. Not so with 1332.

By the way, I reused the same batch of yeast for all of these beers. I usually just keep back a cup or two from each batch and reuse it that same day or save some in a quart jar in the fridge until I need it. Works great.

Just my $.02...

Wow thanks great input. I wanted thus beer to be have a solid malty presence and after reading your take on this yeast in pretty excited for this beer!

beowulf, I would love to see your Juniper Rye IPA recipe if you've got it somewhere. I'm intrigued.

@kyleobie - I'll post it eventually...perhaps in one of the other forums...just getting pics put together. Plus I don't want to hijack this thread with my recipe :)

@moose123 - how is your Rye IPA coming along??

funny you asked I kegged it last night and chucked in some centennial to dry hop. my final gravity was 1.011. Had a little sample and it tasted great. :mug:

Back