Northern Colorado-CMC group buy round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we order more grain?

• Yes, do it now.

• No, I'm good

• Yes, but maybe later in the year

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tomorrow works, what time is convenient?

I will email my address to everyone.

Those of you that are having someone else pick up your grain, please email me so I can keep track of all the bags. Thanks!

It would be 6 to 630 depending on traffic if that is ok with you. I have to be in Loveland at 715 and planned on grabbing it before.

Very pleased to have 100 lbs of top notch grain sitting in my garage this evening! Big thanks to Colohox for setting all of this up, and to Brad2287 for hauling grain and serving as a storage point for folks in Denver. Now I just have to wait for the new Monster Mill to arrive so I can start crushing grain!

It is more effective to run the group buy in the middle of the summer brewing season.

Now that you know what you consume in a year, you can buy more bags during the next round!

Wondering what kind of prices make it worth buying directly. Has anyone discussed a bulk purchase with a LHBS. I know Tom's Brew Shop in Lakewood has access to over 428 types of grains for major suppliers and is happy to discuss pallet pricing or any bulk purchases. There are more choices and many prices available if you just ask. They have even brought in mixed pallets to please multiple needs.

I'm sure you may have tried a couple places, but i have seen prices lower than online. The place in mentioned can get almost any item by the pallet by the next day. Looks like the real reason is feeling like you got something no store could or would offer. I think that may not be true. What kind of prices are you paying per bag or per pound. Are the bags 50 or 55 pound? I truly like hunting for the best deals. Curious if this is. My purpose is not to knock a good deal, but to know if it really is.

What brand, type is it. I have a fantastic base 2row Malteurop $39.99 everyday price. Almost full pallet sitting on hand. 2 row Rahr $43.67 everyday price. Just ask, also discounts for AHA members 5%, plus would offer special on bulk purchase. Goal is to help, not cause friction. I love this business and all the home brewers we meet everyday. It's why we just started our our hops garden out back too. Can't get any better than brewing fresh ingredients with friends.

it's Colorado Malting Company and it's various types. We all go in and buy a pallet. I'd be shocked if you could beat the deal (as far as I know CMC doesn't offer discounts or wholesale prices to any LHBS). I think anyone would go to LHBS for other varieties/brands but we use this method to buy CMC direct because people prefer their local Colorado grains.

Honestly I've gone through 2 bags and love the stuff. Will be using CMC for all my base grain in future (maybe with the exception of Golden Promise in a Scottish Ale)

Your correct in the fact that they offer one price only. When your main buy is Molson Coors and they pay a premium price for local malts, you do not have to offer discounts to anyone. As you can see buying at that price and paying the shipping costs then having to mark it up, would price most people right out of the market. That being said, best of luck on your purchase and hopefully you think of us when you want something other than CMC. In testing hundreds of base malts over the years, we have not found the CMC to be noticeably better in flavor than others. you should try at least one bag of Malteurop to taste the difference. You may be surprised & as impressed as we were. At least stop in and introduce yourself sometime. Would be happy to meet.
CHEERS!

A group buy from CMC has more appeal than just price. We get a great deal and are buying local. That's enough for me. Feel free to join the buy when I run it again.

Bump -- am now out of CMC Base Pale and hoping ColoHox is interested in organizing another group buy sometime soon!

Hey guys, where do you get this delivered to? Thinking about joining but not sure how far I'll have to drive to pickup.

Last time the delivered to Fort Collins but several members in the Denver area generously offered to pick up and hold sacks to cut down the drive for other Denver residents. I happily took advantage of that offer.

So it all depends on who joins this buy and whether they've got extra space to carry and hold bags. But I figure even if I have to drive to Fort Collins I'm in!

Has anyone tried CMC's Belgian Style Pale Malt? Thinking of trying a bag of that and making some belgians.

Has anyone tried CMC's Belgian Style Pale Malt? Thinking of trying a bag of that and making some belgians.

I picked up a bag on the last round. You definitely get that Stella Artois sort of breadiness, moreso than with CMC's Pilsner malt, so if you like Stella, you will like this malt. I've got a Belgian pale ale on tap right now in which I used it for the base. My daughter says it's probably her favorite Belgian that I've brewed to date, and I've brewed quite a few.

I would order full bags of Base Pale and Pilsner for sure, but would also like to split bags of some others that look interesting but that I won't use 50lb of over the next year. I'm not trying to create uninvited work for ColoHox, so if I find interested parties for splits I'd order and pay for full bags upfront, and we could then divide them up at my place (in NW Denver) and you could pay your share there.

I'd be up for splits of any/all of the following, please PM me if you're interested:
  • Belgian Style Pale
  • Malted White Wheat
  • Rye (not clear from their website if this is still offered)
  • Full Pint Malt (apparently limited stock so who knows if available)

I talked with CMC over the weekend. They now use Boulder Fermentation Supply to distribute to homebrewers. CMC said BFS would honor the discount we have been receiving from CMC.

I am waiting for a pricelist and shipping options from BFS. When I get that info, I will start a new thread for round 3.

I am not sure how this new arrangement will affect things, but I will keep everyone in the loop.

Well that sucks. Going to have to go to Boulder to pick up my grain and that necessitates a trip to Avery for at least 4-5 tasters. This is going to be brutal.

Well that sucks. Going to have to go to Boulder to pick up my grain and that necessitates a trip to Avery for at least 4-5 tasters. This is going to be brutal.

Across the street from Avery is a small off leash dog park with a pond for swimming if you have a furry friend. We usually take ours for a swim and then he dries off while we sit on the patio and have lunch.

@bondra76
I've made a SMaSH with this malt (Colorado Belgian Style) and Ahtanum hops and it came out terrific. As LLBeanJ said, it's a very bready malt when coupled with the citrusy/flowery taste of Ahtanum, it became a really good dessert-type beer. It should make a really good Belgian.

Back