Northern Brewers brew in a bag system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgilmore

Reaction score
I just came across this the other day and was wondering if anybody has tried doing all grain in what amounts to be a giant tea bag?

Success stories? Horror stories?

Could this be done in a 5 gallon batch?

I extract brew for the convience right now as I learn more and more about the process. Would this be a logical next step for someone who doesn't want to invest in more equipment right now?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/biab-3-gallon-system.html

Thanks.

I just recently moved to AG and have been using the BIAB method. There are lots of people doing it and lots of threads on this site that talk about it. I have done 2 5gallon batches with BIAB. Worked great. All of my mistakes were more about getting settled into a new process and setup, not using a bag to mash in with a higher water to grist ratio than normal mash techniques. I wanted to get into AG via BIAB because it was a much cheaper way to move from extract to AG.

the 3 gallon all grain recipe kits sound interesting.
I can see those being big sellers.

Thanks. Very useful information. This is something I will kick around a bit and possibly move to in the future.

I just did my first BIAB this past weekend. It was nice to finally make the jump to all grain after kinda being displeased with the results of extract brewing.

It worked well, I had some troubles but that was due to my equipment only.And it was a 10 gallon batch....Not what i would recommend starting with now :D

I've been doing BIAB for about a year now. I only did extract before. I found it easy to get into all grain brewing this way without laying out a bunch of cash for equipment that I didn't have. You most likely already have most of the equipment you need to do BIAB. The main thing missing is the bag. There are some people on here that just use voile curtains from (largest retailer in world) and drape them into the pot. Some use laundry bags, some paint strainers (I did this at first), and some even use homemade or purchased bags.

I am glad that I switched. I find that the beer tastes better than the extract brews I did. Maybe its psychological, but to me its better.

Look up the BrewingTV episode "Jake's Got A Brand New Bag" on youtube. He was testing out that system for Northern Brewer.

I do BIAB myself because of space limitations. Seems to work okay, although my success rate ain't what it should be (which could be for any number of reasons.)

Back