Northern Brewer Oktoberfest questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
Guys,

I plan on brewing the 5g extract Oktoberfest from Northern brewer either tomorrow or Monday. I have a few questions before I do.

1) The directions fro NB say for primary fermentation to leave it in a dark, cold area but don’t specify a temperature. Should I leave it in my basement (usually 68-72 degrees) for primary, or should I put it in my temperature controlled fermenting chamber, which is a full-size fridge with a heat wrap controlled by an inkbird. If so, what temp should I keep for primary fermentation? the directions say to keep the temp for secondary at 35-40, which wont be a problem.

2) It says ready in 3 months, with 2 weeks primary, 2 months secondary, 2 weeks bottle conditioning. May be a ridiculous question, but if I keg, that last 2 weeks turns into a realistic 3 days, correct?

Thanks

Look at the yeast you planning to use to determine the appropriate temp. No matter the temp using a temp controlled fermentation is a good idea.

If you keg then you can do your secondary in the keg and carb at the same time and the 3 day goes to zero.

Look at the yeast you planning to use to determine the appropriate temp. No matter the temp using a temp controlled fermentation is a good idea.

If you keg then you can do your secondary in the keg and carb at the same time and the 3 day goes to zero.

Secondary IN keg?? Just getting into kegging, is having secondary in keg a common practice??

Dont worry about secondary . It's not useful except for storing for long periods or racking onto fresh fruit or other stuff. As ba brewer said look at the yeast . If it's a true Lager yeast then its gonna be colder . I brewed my Oktoberfest at 53f. When it gets about 75% done fermenting you start creeping the temp up about 4 degrees a day until you reach about 66. Leave at 66 for 3 days then reverse the process until you get about 38f. Then you can transfer to your keg and Lager till your ready. Mine has been lagering since April 2nd.

This was asked before, and essential: What yeast are you going to use?

Once fermentation has completed, true lagers are being cold stored (32-34F) for several weeks, even several months, to clear. It's called lagering. That would be the "secondary" they are referring to. A keg is surely the best vessel for that.

When using a lager yeast, a brief diacetyl rest at the right moment is also recommended.

Guys,

I plan on brewing the 5g extract Oktoberfest from Northern brewer either tomorrow or Monday. I have a few questions before I do.

1) The directions fro NB say for primary fermentation to leave it in a dark, cold area but don’t specify a temperature. Should I leave it in my basement (usually 68-72 degrees) for primary, or should I put it in my temperature controlled fermenting chamber, which is a full-size fridge with a heat wrap controlled by an inkbird. If so, what temp should I keep for primary fermentation? the directions say to keep the temp for secondary at 35-40, which wont be a problem.

2) It says ready in 3 months, with 2 weeks primary, 2 months secondary, 2 weeks bottle conditioning. May be a ridiculous question, but if I keg, that last 2 weeks turns into a realistic 3 days, correct?

Thanks
my rule of thumb, read the yeast packet for its optimal temperature. pitch and maintain that for at least 3 days , then let it free rise. I rarely do secondary unless Im adding something. but 2 weeks is plenty for most applications.

or alternately, check out the Lager Warm Fermentation thread

for suggestions on yeast that will work well at room temps. I have a really good Marzen recipe that I'm going to try with this technique next with Mangrove Jack

If you're using 34/70 you can get it down in 4-5 weeks. Ferment between 55-60 degrees when you get around 2-3 Plato from FG let it free rise to 65 for 2 days. Then bring it down to around 45 for 2 weeks. Crash and transfer.

Back