northern brewer nut briw ale yeast help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasp

Reaction score
Just started my first batch, and I noticed the yeast that came with the kit (muntons active brewing) says it needs dissolved in cooled boiled water. The directions in the kit say to cut the packet and add to the fermenter? What should I do? Thanks

This is copy/pasted from John Palmer's How To Brew, which every brewer should own:

"Re-hydrating Dry Yeast
1. Put 1 cup of warm (95-105F, 35-40C) boiled water into a sanitized jar and stir in the yeast. Cover with Saran Wrap and wait 15 minutes.
2. "Proof" the yeast by adding one teaspoon of extract or sugar that has been boiled in a small amount of water. Allow the sugar solution to cool before adding it to the jar.
3. Cover and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight.
4. After 30 minutes or so the yeast should be visibly churning and/or foaming, and is ready to pitch.
"

Then do I just add to the wort just before sealing it up and letting it ferment? Thanks for the info!

Then do I just add to the wort just before sealing it up and letting it ferment? Thanks for the info!

Yes, just make sure to keep everything sanitary when you're adding it to your wort. If you want to shake it for a minute or so after you've added it to your carboy / bucket to aerate it, that would be fine too.

Like the other poster said, you *can* just throw dry yeast into the wort. I haven't brewed with dry yeast in years, but I recall having markedly better success when rehydrating yeast versus just throwing it in there dry.

Back