Northern Brewer IPA kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
Looking to take advantage of the 20% sale at Northern Brewer and I have recently gotten into IPAs. But I have no idea which kit(s) to buy:

Kama Citra?
Highrise?
Deadringer?
Will Wheaton?

I don't care for IPAs that have too much pine or resin.

Like:
Baxter Brewing Stowaway IPA
Fireston Walker Union Jack
Goose Island IPA

Dislike:
Sierra Nevada

Any tips on which kits I should go for?

I've brewed the Kama Citra and Wil Wheaton's Vandel Eyes PA. Both were amazing! I added the zest of two, large Ruby Red grapefruit to the dry hops in secondary. It really turned out nice. I also brewed the Surly Furious kit. It didn't end up tasting exactly like the real thing, but it's still pretty good. I'm think it needs more time bottle conditioning for the flavors to develop properly, but that could just be wishful thinking...

I've brewed the Kama Citra and Wil Wheaton's Vandel Eyes PA. Both were amazing! I added the zest of two, large Ruby Red grapefruit to the dry hops in secondary. It really turned out nice. I also brewed the Surly Furious kit. It didn't end up tasting exactly like the real thing, but it's still pretty good. I'm think it needs more time bottle conditioning for the flavors to develop properly, but that could just be wishful thinking...

Did the Citra IPA come out too sweet or was it nicely balanced? The one "Citra IPA" I had was like drinking juice.

Is the Permafrost White IPA on the list of discounted kits? I brewed that one and LOVE IT. Fresh citrus and grapefruit flavor and aroma all glass long!

Did the Citra IPA come out too sweet or was it nicely balanced? The one "Citra IPA" I had was like drinking juice.

It came out perfectly balanced with no residual sweetness. The kit includes Centennial (0.5 oz @60 min), Cascade (1 oz @20 and 1 oz @10 min) and Citra (2 oz at flameout, with a 10 minute hop stand) hops for the boil and Cascade and Citra (1 oz each) for dry hopping. I was aiming for more grapefruit than tropical; hence, the addition of grapefruit zest to the dry hops, which I soaked in vodka for three days prior to adding them.

Is the Permafrost White IPA on the list of discounted kits? I brewed that one and LOVE IT. Fresh citrus and grapefruit flavor and aroma all glass long!

I brewed that one too and loved it as well. I did the extract version, so it was pretty dark, despite doing a late malt addition.

Seems the 20% coupon code isn't working now. Darn!

I emailed customer service to alert them. (I had previously emailed them about this offer, hoping I could use in in-store, as I like near both of their Minnesota locations, but, alas, it is only good for online orders.) I'll post when I hear back.

Somebody leaked the code online; it was meant only for customers who hadn't shopped at NB for a while. A followup email with a new code will be sent to affected customers.

I haven't used them in 18months...hope I get it.

It's only been a few months for me, so hopefully you will get the email. I do most of my shopping with them in the stores, as I live so near to both of their Minnesota locations...

The new code email has been sent out. If you got one, great! If not, me sharing it will not help you, as it is customer-specific. Sorry!

Talked to them online and they told me to call in and gave me the discount. I converted away from them after they removed flat rate shipping, but now they have it back and so far their customer service remains top-notch.

Now let's just hope I like the Kama Citra :)

I've had the Permafrost, Dead Ringer, Chinook, Plinian Legacy, and the Kiwi Express. I have the Mongoose IPA too that I hope I can brew soon. Of the ones I have had, I liked the Dead Ringer the best. The rest are great, except for the Chinook as it just seemed to have too much bitterness for me in the finish.

I've done NB's Hopquila DIPA twice and can't keep it around as my beer aficionado friends love it. Adding tequila in the secondary and a small amount more at bottling really mellows out the large amounts of Mosaic hops such that it's not a bitter beer and very drinkable for people that like IPAs IMO. You do need to like IPAs to enjoy this beer :). I highly recommend it to the point of trying to decide if I do another batch for my next brew in a couple of weeks or move on to something else like an Irish Draught Ale to reuse the Irish Ale Yeast at the bottom of my Guinness clone currently in my primary :).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back