Northern Brewer grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
What do some people get for mash efficiency when using NB crushed grains ? I have never used them before but I have some gift cards to spend.

I'd suggest you dig in your pockets for spare change and check the cushions of the couch to see if you can find just a bit more, then buy a cheap Corona style grain mill (about $30 in several places) so you can buy uncrushed grains and mill them yourself. It's the only way to assure yourself of consistent grain milling. Once you have your own mill you have the opportunity to purchase your grains in bulk and make a batch of beer anytime you have time available.

I've used the crushed grain from NB, seems to be a pretty consistent crush and it's usually done when you order. I haven't stuck with any one brewing system long enough while using their pre-crushed grain to give any accurate efficiency numbers, keep changing my equipment.

I have done about 8 kits now from them that they have crushed for me and I think I can throw out the first 4-5 just on learning curve alone but lately I seem to be getting between 69-72% with batch sparging and 1.5qt/lb ratio

What do some people get for mash efficiency when using NB crushed grains ? I have never used them before but I have some gift cards to spend.

If it's anything like morebeer, 65% Brewhouse Efficiency (BIAB) no sparge is what I get. But like RM-MN said get a corona. I just got a corona type mill and made my ugly junk mill, hope to make it to 70% or a little better.

I'd suggest you dig in your pockets for spare change and check the cushions of the couch to see if you can find just a bit more, then buy a cheap Corona style grain mill (about $30 in several places) so you can buy uncrushed grains and mill them yourself. It's the only way to assure yourself of consistent grain milling. Once you have your own mill you have the opportunity to purchase your grains in bulk and make a batch of beer anytime you have time available.

Have you heard of anyone using the grain mill that attaches to the kitchen aid mixer? I know it grinds very fine but also says it will do cracked as well. I know they are a little more expensive and could probably find a dedicated mill for about the same price but this could be used for other uses in the kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DVP1V...t=&hvlocphy=9025471&hvtargid=pla-272807402333

Have you heard of anyone using the grain mill that attaches to the kitchen aid mixer? I know it grinds very fine but also says it will do cracked as well. I know they are a little more expensive and could probably find a dedicated mill for about the same price but this could be used for other uses in the kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DVP1V...t=&hvlocphy=9025471&hvtargid=pla-272807402333

I'd hesitate to grind 100 pounds of malted barley with that expensive combination. If you burn out the motor milling the grains for your beer it would be something to make you cry. I have ground well over 100 pounds with my Corona mill and it looks like new yet. Most of that was done by hand but it is real easy to add a drill adapter to it.

Don't try this with a Kitchen Aid. The KA milling attachment is only for very short runs for milling flour. The motor will over heat.

Thank you for the advice guys. I will add that I do between 3-5 gal batches only about 1 a month. But none the less I do not want to burn out the ka! That would not be news I want to tell to my wife.

I have used their precrushed malt in kits when they have cheap deals on them. Lets me add some variety try a new style to see if I like it etc. I bought a barley crusher and use my cordless drill and can mill 20 pounds of grain in about 10 minutes so it is an investment that is well worth it over a corona!

Back