New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cashmere is definitely leading the charge in my beer. I get a lot of peach and lime from it. I think LUPOMAX is a great product. I’ve been happy with all varieties I’ve used so far

That's great info, thx brother. Gotta love the Lupomax. The Lupomax varieties I've used so far are Citra, Mosaic, BRU-1, Amarillo, Azacca & I7. Although I have to say that Azacca was a bit let down. But might be it got overpowered by other hops I used in that particular brew. Anyway I will definitely add Cashmere Lupo to my next order

That's great info, thx brother. Gotta love the Lupomax. The Lupomax varieties I've used so far are Citra, Mosaic, BRU-1, Amarillo, Azacca & I7. Although I have to say that Azacca was a bit let down. But might be it got overpowered by other hops I used in that particular brew. Anyway I will definitely add Cashmere Lupo to my next order
@TBryerton & @The M I used 6 oz in dryhop if that helps you plan for your next.

Last edited:
I brew this red ale all the time with wy1450 and I can confirm it has a really nice, big, round mouthfeel. I think it would work well in a NEIPA.
Is 1450 Denny’s? If so, I brewed quite a few with it early on with it. I still brew my black ipas with it. Can’t quite recall mouthfeel benefits since it’s been a while but def puts a malt presence in the forefront. Might work well for a neipa, as the dryhop rates have greatly increased since when I originally tried to brew them.

Is 1450 Denny’s? If so, I brewed quite a few with it early on with it. I still brew my black ipas with it. Can’t quite recall mouthfeel benefits since it’s been a while but def puts a malt presence in the forefront. Might work well for a neipa, as the dryhop rates have greatly increased since when I originally tried to brew them.
Yup, Denny’s. I’m going to try it out.

I brewed my last neipa with imperial juice a38. It's about a month in the keg now and dropping clear already. The first time I've had that happen with this yeast. I did nothing different then I have in the past other then using spelt in place of white wheat. This initial appearance of this beer was great and I wish it would have stayed... the beer itself still has great flavor, not getting any oxidation flavors and the mouthfeel is still ok but not as good.
First 3 weeks look like this
20211212_150514.jpg

And I took this pic of the same beer last night. Now just over a month I believe 9 days apart.
20211221_174138.jpg

This style is so tough haha, I used a fresh pack of a38 and I did harvest some to reuse on my next batch. Anything wrong with that or should I get another fresh one? I was also thinking about trying cosmic punch on my next one and doing a mash hop. Any thoughts?

I brewed my last neipa with imperial juice a38. It's about a month in the keg now and dropping clear already. The first time I've had that happen with this yeast. I did nothing different then I have in the past other then using spelt in place of white wheat. This initial appearance of this beer was great and I wish it would have stayed... the beer itself still has great flavor, not getting any oxidation flavors and the mouthfeel is still ok but not as good.
View attachment 753023

And I took this pic of the same beer last night. Now just over a month I believe 9 days apart.
View attachment 753024

This style is so tough haha, I used a fresh pack of a38 and I did harvest some to reuse on my next batch. Anything wrong with that or should I get another fresh one? I was also thinking about trying cosmic punch on my next one and doing a mash hop. Any thoughts?
Did you move your keg or did it shaken around at all? I’ve had this happen when moving kegs around before

Did you move your keg or did it shaken around at all? I’ve had this happen when moving kegs around before
I brew 15 gallon at a time, 3 kegs total. In this case 2 of the 3 went right in the kegerator and have not moved. Both clearing at similar rates. 3rd keg is in spare fridge and it will get moved when one of the first 2 kick. No major movement, some from swapping out other kegs in my 4 tap keezer.

Whirlfloc wouldn't cause that clearing of the beer. I use it all the time and don't experience it. What's your dry hopping schedule and amounts? Is A38 from the LA3 family?
Yes it is same family, I didn't think whirlfloc would cause it either as I always use it too. Fermented for 2 weeks then soft crash to 48f then 1 dry hop of citra and vic secret at a little over 1 oz per gallon. Hold 48 to 50 for a couple days then crashed and kegged. I would have to check my notes to see exact dry hop rate but I know it was close to 1oz per gallon.

Like a shti load... was heavy on the wp hops. Maybe less then usual cause I split it with a 10min addition. But still 17 oz in a 15gal batch
How careful were you with not transferring trub to the keg? Clearing tends to occur when there is large sized/weight molecules in the beer. These large particles end up attracting more and more particles. This will cause a beer to floc pretty darn clear.

This is why I asked about moving the keg in case you re suspended the trub at any point.

View attachment 753023

View attachment 753024

What did the grist look like?

How careful were you with not transferring trub to the keg? Clearing tends to occur when there is large sized/weight molecules in the beer. These large particles end up attracting more and more particles. This will cause a beer to floc pretty darn clear.

This is why I asked about moving the keg in case you re suspended the trub at any point.
I usually am pretty careful about not getting much trub in the fermenter. I actually think I did a better job of it this time around. With my system I whirlpool for quite a while on this style and it makes a nice cone so once I get close I shut off my pump. Usually pick up very little trub. My whirlpool was a little on the warm side, so maybe more then usual stayed suspended. I think I was around 180 at the end of whirlpooling.

What did the grist look like?
As in the crush or the grain bill? I crush my own grain and adjust the gap accordingly to each style of grain, though I did have an issue with my mill and some of the malted oats didn't look as crushed as usual, I remember saying something to my wife about it but we didn't run them through the mill a second time, I had a slight drop in efficiency which in part I chalked up to that.

As in the crush or the grain bill? I crush my own grain and adjust the gap accordingly to each style of grain, though I did have an issue with my mill and some of the malted oats didn't look as crushed as usual, I remember saying something to my wife about it but we didn't run them through the mill a second time, I had a slight drop in efficiency which in part I chalked up to that.
Grainbill, how much % of what

Where did you hear that from? This is not true. If anything yes, he could have transferred some yeast but it clearing has nothing to do with transferring trub or yeast. Back in the day I would transfer a bunch of yeast/trub and use a clear beer draft system and the beer never cleared. Would also ferment in a keg with no clearing problems. It has to do with the type of grains he used (protein), hops and the process/timing and not trub.

Where did you hear that from? This is not true. If anything yes, he could have transferred some yeast but it clearing has nothing to do with transferring trub or yeast. Back in the day I would transfer a bunch of yeast/trub and use a clear beer draft system and the beer never cleared. Would also ferment in a keg with no clearing problems. It has to do with the type of grains he used (protein), hops and the process/timing and not trub.
What I stated is true. This is exactly how fining products work. Whirlfloc is essentially a large piece of positively charged protein which attract more proteins to bond with them. When their weight gets large enough they drop out of suspension. Biofine is the same thing coolside using a positive charged silicone particle. Gelatin is negatively charged and will drop opposite charged particles out of suspension.

The less molecular weight a molecule has, the longer it will stay in suspension. That’s why clearer beer into the fv and keg, droping yeast out if suspension prior to dryhoping to avoid stripping and prevent hop creep which binds of proteins and polyphenols (increasing molecular weight) and then dryhoping will create more stable haze

What I stated is true. This is exactly how fining products work. Whirlfloc is essentially a large piece of positively charged protein which attract more proteins to bond with them. When their weight gets large enough they drop out of suspension. Biofine is the same thing coolside using a positive charged silicone particle. Gelatin is negatively charged and will drop opposite charged particles out of suspension.
The less molecular weight a molecule has, the longer it will stay in suspension.
Ok but this isnt the issue that Bailey is having. I use whirlfloc and my hoppy beers never clear.

I also do a cold crash for a couple days before kegging. I don't think I get much, if any trub into my kegs. Probably some on the last keg as I try to squeeze every drop into that one, I fill kegs by weight so I know when I'm at 5gal. The third keg I filled is the one I don't have on tap yet, so the 2 that are clearing should both have little or no trub.

I also do a cold crash for a couple days before kegging. I don't think I get much, if any trub into my kegs. Probably some on the last keg as I try to squeeze every drop into that one, I fill kegs by weight so I know when I'm at 5gal. The third keg I filled is the one I don't have on tap yet, so the 2 that are clearing should both have little or no trub.
How many oz dry hop? and whats your pre DH and post DH PH? Also, how is your water looking? Could also be some oxidation. I've seen this in a few EQ beers that dropped clear from oxidation. Its weird and i dont know why it happens lol

Just over 1oz per gallon dry hop and dry hopped around 50f for 3 or 4 days then cold crashed, I did not check ph at this stage though my mash ph was low at 5.0 ... I run co2 when dry hopping and purge a couple times right after. Could be oxidation though the taste hasn't been impacted .... yet. I take all the measures possible to avoid it but its always a possibility.

Ok but this isnt the issue that Bailey is having. I use whirlfloc and my hoppy beers never clear.
But those phenomena can cause the issues that @bailey mountain brewer is having. if you move a keg and resuspend protiens and other trub that has already flocced out, it can cause more clearing by attracting even more protein/polyphenols when they floc out again.

But those phenomena can cause the issues that @bailey mountain brewer is having. if you move a keg and resuspend protiens and other trub that has already flocced out, it can cause more clearing by attracting even more protein/polyphenols when they floc out again.
Hmm interesting. Ive never experienced or heard of this before. Could be possible but I never had this happen after moving kegs around. I think he needs to use more dry hops and some high protein two row and more malted oats/wheat. Also if using a conical, rouse the dry hops with c02 from the bottom every few hours for a day. Ive had clear beer pre-dry hop turn to murk after final cold crash.

Are people spunding with this style? before or after dryhopping? I was playing around with this idea but not sure how to go about it. If before dryhopping wont it create foam when hops are added, but wont it also help reduce oxidation since there would be dissolved co2 in the beer that would then scrub oxygen if some was introduced during dryhop? Sorry throwing a lot of questions around.

Hmm interesting. Ive never experienced or heard of this before. Could be possible but I never had this happen after moving kegs around. I think he needs to use more dry hops and some high protein two row and more malted oats/wheat. Also if using a conical, rouse the dry hops with c02 from the bottom every few hours for a day. Ive had clear beer pre-dry hop turn to murk after final cold crash.
I don't rouse hops in my conicals... I probably should yes. I did use golden promise for part of this batch, not sure what the protein content is on that. Also what percentage malted oats would I benefit from?

I don't rouse hops in my conicals... I probably should yes. I did use golden promise for part of this batch, not sure what the protein content is on that. Also what percentage malted oats would I benefit from?
I haven't been using malted oats recently but some people go as high as 40-50% I believe. Pale wheat is also good.

Anyone successfully used Talus? I think I read a post from secretlevel that he had used it with keg hops? Any suggestions which hops would pair well with Talus? I'm not a big fan of Sabro or to be precise the coconut flavor it brings to the table. So I'm a bit unsure how I could avoid that overpowering coconut flavor which Talus might produce. Going to use Cosmic Punch with mash hops and continue experimenting with spelt with this one

Anyone successfully used Talus? I think I read a post from secretlevel that he had used it with keg hops? Any suggestions which hops would pair well with Talus? I'm not a big fan of Sabro or to be precise the coconut flavor it brings to the table. So I'm a bit unsure how I could avoid that overpowering coconut flavor which Talus might produce. Going to use Cosmic Punch with mash hops and continue experimenting with spelt with this one

I've used Cosmic Punch with a Citra/Idaho 7/Talus/Wai-iti combo before. I really enjoyed it. Didn't get any coconut. It was all pineapple and passion fruit.

Slightly off topic but I brewed a clone of this Cellermaker beer a few weeks ago and its turned out so good.

https://beerandbrewing.com/recipe-cellarmaker-kilning-me-softly-ipa/
The dry hop combination is one of the best I've tried and will definitely be doing a hazy version of this when I get more Mosaic. Even with US-05 its probably hazier than my DIPA brewed with London Fog that's about 3 weeks younger.

White Labs have definitely changed this strain as its dropping clear a lot quicker than before and they've also changed the attenuation to 75-82% from 65-70%. Personally it's not a patch on what it used to be. WOn't be brewing with it again. Got Omega DIPA strain for my next brews.

Slightly off topic but I brewed a clone of this Cellermaker beer a few weeks ago and its turned out so good.

https://beerandbrewing.com/recipe-cellarmaker-kilning-me-softly-ipa/
The dry hop combination is one of the best I've tried and will definitely be doing a hazy version of this when I get more Mosaic. Even with US-05 its probably hazier than my DIPA brewed with London Fog that's about 3 weeks younger.

White Labs have definitely changed this strain as its dropping clear a lot quicker than before and they've also changed the attenuation to 75-82% from 65-70%. Personally it's not a patch on what it used to be. WOn't be brewing with it again. Got Omega DIPA strain for my next brews.
What temp did you dry hop at? And how long?

What temp did you dry hop at? And how long?
Dry hopped cool, was around 55 I think. Didn't do the double dry hop like the recipe, just one big charge. Was at 55 for around 48 hours then crashed for 24 hours before transferring to the dry hop keg. The Mosaic I used was Lupomax and Citra Lupomax for dry hop.

Back