New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the idea of cold crashing, though. I might try just fill a big ziplock with CO2 and attach it in place of the airlock.

I drilled and installed a port to the Home Depot bucket lid to hook up the CO2 tank. Every few hours I add CO2 until airlock bubbles. Pretty simple if you use plastic. Used this fitting, a grommet, and removable plug which I made myself since none available at LHBS.

Screenshot_2018-03-15-10-12-00.png

Last edited:
I have been using pellets. I'm not sure what the mesh size is. It's a Chinese Amazon special

I have been using pellets. I'm not sure what the mesh size is. It's a Chinese Amazon special
Thanks for the quick reply. I assume this is for a 5gal keg. What is the hop weight limit? I take it you don't see much hop material transferred to the next keg? Also do you use a dip tube strainer?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I assume this is for a 5gal keg. What is the hop weight limit? I take it you don't see much hop material transferred to the next keg? Also do you use a dip tube strainer?

Yes, I use it in a 5 gallon keg. I've had up to 4 oz in it for a 5 gallon keg, but it would hold more. The keg hop is my 2nd dry hop, so I do 3-4 oz in fermenter, then another 3-4 oz in keg. I transfer from fermenter, to keg with dry hops for about 4-5 days, then to a new purged serving keg. I haven't had any issues with big particles when using this in the keg. I have noticed that when my serving keg runs out and I clean it, there is a lot of fine hop sediment that has settled to the bottom of the keg. But, I think that's just going to happen with this style due to the overall amount of hops used, and the fact that no effort is made to clear the beer. I do not use a dip tube screen or any other filter.

While keg hopping, I hook up the co2 and get a head start on carbonation. The beer will be almost fully carbonated when it gets to the serving keg (after the 4-5 day keg hop). It's usually a little harsh for the first week or so, then it hits it's peak for about 10 days, then it starts going downhill (losing hop juiciness).

As far as the keg filters, I have one concern. You'd have to fit the filter before you purge the keg, and therefore before you fill the keg. So I would think clogs would be likely while filling. Or even if it didn't clog, whatever debris is racked into the keg that can't pass through the screen would end up on the inside of the screen and thus would not be filtered out of your pour.

I think you may be misinterpreting how people are using the keg filters that surround the dip tube. The intent is for the hops to go on the outside of the filter. So you'd fit the filter, then fill the keg with water/sanitizer and purge (unless its for primary, in which case no need to purge with co2), then fill with beer and add your dry hops through the lid when desired. This way the dry hops are kept outside of the screen surrounding the dip tube but still get the benefit of better extraction by not being packed inside a dry hop container. I don't dry hop in the serving keg, but will be using the long dip tube filter in primary for my brew this weekend.

I think you may be misinterpreting how people are using the keg filters that surround the dip tube. The intent is for the hops to go on the outside of the filter. So you'd fit the filter, then fill the keg with water/sanitizer and purge (unless its for primary, in which case no need to purge with co2), then fill with beer and add your dry hops through the lid when desired. This way the dry hops are kept outside of the screen surrounding the dip tube but still get the benefit of better extraction by not being packed inside a dry hop container. I don't dry hop in the serving keg, but will be using the long dip tube filter in primary for my brew this weekend.

Right, I get how it keeps the keg hops from making it into the glass. I was just thinking about the hop (and other) particulate that's in the beer when you rack it might get caught up inside the mesh.

Right, I get how it keeps the keg hops from making it into the glass. I was just thinking about the hop (and other) particulate that's in the beer when you rack it might get caught up inside the mesh.

I don't keg hop myself (unless you count the hops added to the keg I use for primary), but yeah - if you plan to use it as a serving keg hop filter, it is probably a good idea to have a strategy for avoiding transferring hop material from primary to the keg if racking into the liquid out post.

For my usage, the only hops that would make it to the inside of the mesh filter is the particulate that is small enough to pass through the mesh from the outside. The vast majority of hop material settles to the bottom after primary fermentation anyways, so the screen is there mainly as an extra precaution. I've done 6 closed transfers on NEIPAs so far without any screen in place around the dip tube without having to remove the guts from the liquid post of either keg. That being said, I feel the risk is always there, which is why I bought the screen for insurance.

are you able to get the air bubble out of the unit? seems the housing fills up mostly with beer and then it starts to flow out to keg before the last bubble at the top disappears.

just picked one up ,have only used it once, but already thinking i should have gotten a different screen. the one that came with the unit is 80 mesh/100micron. not trying to filter out yeast but seems like still get some hop dust coming through....

My latest GMC, these are the first two pints after being in the keezer for a few hrs. I racked this batch over into the keg on day 3.5 and naturally carbed for 10 days before today. Also added an oz of Cryo hops in a bag to the keg.
51B20599-EEDA-4267-9910-6FB23FBA92A0.jpeg

At a local Homebrew competition, I won people's choice and an opportunity to brew on a local brewery's 1bbl system, Working Draft Brewing Company in Madison, Wi. Yesterday we brewed my White Bronco NEIPA;
53% Two-row
28% Maris Otter
10% Flaked Oats
7% White Wheat
2% Honey Malt
165f
Omega DIPA
20 min .75/.75/.5
Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra
5 min with .75/.75/1.5
Flameout 1:1:2
Whirlpool 2/1.5/2.5
Dryhop 2:2:4 Galaxy/Denali/Citra

Last edited:
At a local Homebrew competition, I won people's choice and an opportunity to brew on a local brewery's 1bbl system, Working Draft Brewing Company in Madison, Wi. Yesterday we brewed my White Bronco NEIPA;
53% Two-row
28% Maris Otter
10% Flaked Oats
7% White Wheat
2% Honey Malt
156f
Omega DIPA
20 min .75/.75/.5
Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra
5 min with .75/.75/1.5
Whirlpool 2/1.5/2.5

lookin good. you like the omega dipa? havent had good luck with it over 1.060, doesnt finish well

53% Two-row
28% Maris Otter
10% Flaked Oats
7% White Wheat
2% Honey Malt
165f
Omega DIPA
20 min .75/.75/.5
Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra
5 min with .75/.75/1.5
Whirlpool 2/1.5/2.5

Thats awesome! Great job. I get it tastes great!

Thats awesome! Great job. I get it tastes great!

It's pretty tasty and can smell it acrossed the room. This is the second time I've won people's choice with a version of this recipe, this time I also got 1st in the IPA category. First time was with my Psuedo Sue grain bill, similar hopping schedule, same hops and WLP007. That one got 3rd in the IPA category. Both scored from 39-43!

I brewed this recipe, kegged on day 9
OG- 1.054
FG. 1.008

Should I keg sooner next time so that the gravity doesnt come down so low? I've seen a few posts suggesting to keg sooner to achieve a fuller mouthfeel

53% Two-row
28% Maris Otter
10% Flaked Oats
7% White Wheat
2% Honey Malt
165f
Omega DIPA
20 min .75/.75/.5
Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra
5 min with .75/.75/1.5
Whirlpool 2/1.5/2.5

Is that for a 5 gal. batch?

It's pretty tasty and can smell it acrossed the room. This is the second time I've won people's choice with a version of this recipe, this time I also got 1st in the IPA category. First time was with my Psuedo Sue grain bill, similar hopping schedule, same hops and WLP007. That one got 3rd in the IPA category. Both scored from 39-43!

What'd you use for a psuedoSue grain bill??

Haven't checked in this topic in a good while so looking for some advice for my next brew. Going to do a double version of this in the next few weeks so looking for a new hop combination. I've done the two hop versions that Braufessor listed and both turned out excellent. Looking for something incredibly juicy but wouldn't be good or brave enough yet to pick these myself. I like the sound of Azacca so thinking this along with with some suggestions. I have a lot of Simcoe in the freezer so maybe this to balance out all the juice. Probably bitter with warrior too as I think I still have enough but maybe do this at 30 minutes instead of 60. Any ideas would be great so I can get planning and ordering.

Have my second version of this in the Irish nationals this Saturday. Competition was supposed to be a few weeks ago but was canceled because of a snow storm. Not holding out much hope as it' well past its best as I brewed it just before Christmas.

Haven't checked in this topic in a good while so looking for some advice for my next brew. Going to do a double version of this in the next few weeks so looking for a new hop combination. I've done the two hop versions that Braufessor listed and both turned out excellent. Looking for something incredibly juicy but wouldn't be good or brave enough yet to pick these myself. I like the sound of Azacca so thinking this along with with some suggestions. I have a lot of Simcoe in the freezer so maybe this to balance out all the juice. Probably bitter with warrior too as I think I still have enough but maybe do this at 30 minutes instead of 60. Any ideas would be great so I can get planning and ordering.

Have my second version of this in the Irish nationals this Saturday. Competition was supposed to be a few weeks ago but was canceled because of a snow storm. Not holding out much hope as it' well past its best as I brewed it just before Christmas.

I would look at Denali, Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Azacca. Bitter to 30 IBU's with whatever you want. Any combo of those hops would do well.

This is my latest version, slightly convoluted grain bill but was kind of an empty the fridge/experimental, and will definitely brew it again! It borders on a double, at 6.72% and might be something you're looking for. You could certainly replace the 30min with Warrior if you wanted. The El Dorado is actually Denali, BeerSmith doesn't have Denali yet, but the hops are also in line with what you might be looking for. It's very smooth with some dank, juicy and a touch of piney resin. 6.25 gal batch size the DH were 2citra, 2cashmere, 1galaxy, 1denali...oh and the 5min steep is actually a 45min WP @165f
IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

Last edited:
I would look at Denali, Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Azacca. Bitter to 30 IBU's with whatever you want. Any combo of those hops would do well.

I would caution against bittering with whatever you want. I have a 100% Riwaka pale ale right now that I'm not entirely happy with. Not all hops are isomerized with equal results. In the future, I will steer clear of high cohumulone hops for bittering.

It seems like many of the tropical hops don't necessarily translate to a tropical taste. I think the citrus hops tend to translate pretty well though. With my latest DIPA, I used Apollo for bittering, Citra for flavor, then Azacca, Equinot, Galaxy, Riwaka for aroma. It's a nice tropical nose that finishes with a citrus grapefruit punch in flavor.

I brewed this recipe, kegged on day 9
OG- 1.054
FG. 1.008

Should I keg sooner next time so that the gravity doesnt come down so low? I've seen a few posts suggesting to keg sooner to achieve a fuller mouthfeel
No.... kegging before fermentation is finished is not really the best way to end with a higher gravity. The beer should finish fermenting out and still remain in that 1.011-1.014 range.

1.008 does seem a bit low for this beer.

*Make sure your fermentation temperatures are in the right range (66-72)..... and that is for the beer, not the room. The beer will ferment 5-6 degrees above room temperature when active.

*Use a yeast that attenuates less (conan, 1318)

*Make sure mash temperatures are correct and in the 154 range perhaps.

*Make sure sanitation is good and you do not have wild yeast eating sugars and pushing gravity too low.

Also - biggest thing is not the numbers - but, how does it taste? How is the mouthfeel? If those things are where you like them, don't get caught up in a number. Could always be a bad measurement rather than an actual problem.

Thanks for the clarification . I used 1318 , 1.5L starter. Temperature was controlled via inkbird and heating pad, temp probe taped to side of fermenter and insulated . My mash was a bit low, I had to fire up the burner to bring the temp back up (first time thats happened to me). Mouthfeel is a bit thin but it probably needs some more time to carb up. Plus my expectations may be too high, Equilibrium Brewery is local and I drink their DIPAs frequently, which isnt a fair comparison.... if every new brewer (this was my 5th beer) could brew a comparable beer, those guys wouldnt have a line through the parking lot every saturday morning ...

Thanks for all the hop recommendations. At the minute I'm thinking Simcoe, Galaxy and El Dorado. My homebrew store doesn't have Azacca in stock at the minute so unless it comes back in before I brew I'll have to leave it till next time. What does everyone think of this combination? I've never used El Dorado or even tasted it in a beer but do like the sound of it, and how about amounts, would keeping the original amounts of 6 oz for whirlpool and 6 oz dry hop work with 2 oz of each for both additions? aiming for arond 7.5-8% ABV so might bump hops to 7 oz for each addition, would that be overkill?

Personally I don't like El Dorado, it has a sweet, "candy" fruit flavor. If you do use it use sparingly it will get away from you.

Personally I don't like El Dorado, it has a sweet, "candy" fruit flavor. If you do use it use sparingly it will get away from you.
Thanks. I might be safer to stick with the tried and tested so. Would like to try something different to Citra though, so Galaxy, Mosaic and a Ctira alternative then, what would be a perfect alternative for Citra?

Thanks. I might be safer to stick with the tried and tested so. Would like to try something different to Citra though, so Galaxy, Mosaic and a Ctira alternative then, what would be a perfect alternative for Citra?

Not a big fan of El Dorado on its own but find it plays well with other hops. Citra/El Dorado is a nice combo.

Nelson, Rakau, Denali, Ekuanot are good with those hops....Vic Secret is a great WP/DH too

Looking at going with this hop schedule for the minute so how does it look.

Grain bill is 6.9 kg/ 15.2lb
ABV 7.7%
Warrior - 25g/.88oz (30 IBU) Boil

Citra - 78g / 2.75 oz whirlpool
Azacca - 78g / 2.75 oz whirlpool
Galaxy - 78g / 2.75 oz whirlpool
Vic Secret - 50g / 1.76oz whirlpool

Citra - 78g / 2.75 oz dryhop
Azacca - 78g / 2.75 oz dryhop
Galaxy - 78g / 2.75 oz dryhop
Vic Secret - 50g / 1.76oz dryhop

Does this look overkill or should it work? They're expensive hops so don't want to be wasting them or money.

Looking at going with this hop schedule for the minute so how does it look.

Grain bill is 6.9 kg/ 15.2lb
ABV 7.7%
Warrior - 25g/.88oz (30 IBU) Boil

Citra - 78g / 2.75 oz whirlpool
Azacca - 78g / 2.75 oz whirlpool
Galaxy - 78g / 2.75 oz whirlpool
Vic Secret - 50g / 1.76oz whirlpool

Citra - 78g / 2.75 oz dryhop
Azacca - 78g / 2.75 oz dryhop
Galaxy - 78g / 2.75 oz dryhop
Vic Secret - 50g / 1.76oz dryhop

Does this look overkill or should it work? They're expensive hops so don't want to be wasting them or money.
That's a pretty heavy whirlpool. It might give more bitterness than you're looking for. Maybe move 1/2 to 3/4 of it to dryhop.

That's a pretty heavy whirlpool. It might give more bitterness than you're looking for. Maybe move 1/2 to 3/4 of it to dryhop.
I just took Braufessor's 6oz whirlpool pool and 6oz dry hop and scaled it up in Beersmith to suit the gravity. I did add on the Vic secret after this though so maybe I'll scale it back a bit to accommodate it. Is 4 hops over the top for whirlpool and dry hop?

I just took Braufessor's 6oz whirlpool pool and 6oz dry hop and scaled it up in Beersmith to suit the gravity. I did add on the Vic secret after this though so maybe I'll scale it back a bit to accommodate it. Is 4 hops over the top for whirlpool and dry hop?

Depends on what hop character you like. I personally find a blend of 2-4 different hops to be better for my tastes than just a single variety.

Heck this last time i just took 4x8oz packs (centennial, el dorado, azaaca and chinook), mixed them up in a large mixing bowl, and weighed each dose from the bowl. It's probably the best hop experience flavor-wise i've had to date. Little pine, little orange, some grapefruit, and a little dank.

Depends on what hop character you like. I personally find a blend of 2-4 different hops to be better for my tastes than just a single variety.

Heck this last time i just took 4x8oz packs (centennial, el dorado, azaaca and chinook), mixed them up in a large mixing bowl, and weighed each dose from the bowl. It's probably the best hop experience flavor-wise i've had to date. Little pine, little orange, some grapefruit, and a little dank.
I'm looking for a full on tropical fruit blast. I've done two versions of this beer already so just want to try something a bit different I guess.

Back