New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY! Blonde ale to propagate yeast is in the boil kettle and NE IPA is going into the Mash tun soon..... I have not brewed in an entire month.... that has not happened in a LONG time. School is out and hoping to brew 6 batches of beer in the next few days.
Blonde and NE IPA today
Two Pilsners on Wednesday Perhaps.
Two Saisons on Thursday or Friday I think.

Hopefully have 6 fermenters chugging away by the weekend.

Now, to decide what hops for the NE IPA..... trying to decide between the C-M-G standby or go with Centennial, Cascade, Citra combo I did last time..... came out really nice. Gonna go with 1318 on the yeast for this one as well as a 140:90 Chloride to Sulfate ratio.

FINALLY! Blonde ale to propagate yeast is in the boil kettle and NE IPA is going into the Mash tun soon..... I have not brewed in an entire month.... that has not happened in a LONG time. School is out and hoping to brew 6 batches of beer in the next few days.
Blonde and NE IPA today
Two Pilsners on Wednesday Perhaps.
Two Saisons on Thursday or Friday I think.

Hopefully have 6 fermenters chugging away by the weekend.

Now, to decide what hops for the NE IPA..... trying to decide between the C-M-G standby or go with Centennial, Cascade, Citra combo I did last time..... came out really nice. Gonna go with 1318 on the yeast for this one as well as a 140:90 Chloride to Sulfate ratio.

What was the ratio for the centennial combo?

I just brewed a blonde myself for the summer. Added home made watermelon concentrate and a lime tincture at keg time. Perfect summer crusher.

What was the ratio for the centennial combo?

I just brewed a blonde myself for the summer. Added home made watermelon concentrate and a lime tincture at keg time. Perfect summer crusher.

I went with 2 ounces of each in a hop stand after wort was chilled down a ways..... probably in the 140- 160 for sure, not sure exact temp though. Then I did 2 x dry hop - first at day 3. Second at day 9 or so. Both were in even ratio of 1 ounce of all 3.

Recently brewed some. I split it 3 ways with Conan, 644 and London Ale III. Hops in the kettle were mainly Simcoe, Mosaic and El Dorado. A little Citra for good measure and Apollo for bittering. Dry hopped twice with Simcoe, El Dorado and Mosaic. Left in and loose on Day 2 and Day 9. Kegged on Day 12
80% Weyermann Pale Malt
15% Oats
5% Wheat
water 150 Chl, 100 sulfate

1st time using 1318, and am impressed.
Also is the first time using El Dorado. I was very underwelmed when opening the bag compared to Simcoe, Mosiac, Citra, etc. But they seem to add a nice touch when blended. I am getting some nice melon and tropical flavors from the combo and some of that tongue coating spicy dankness on the backend.

Back to the yeast - I use to be all for Conan. But may start leaning towards 1318. 644 is decent. I'll update as i drink them. Lots of kegged beer right now :mug:
I also have 007 fermenting some hoppy Pale Ale. Fermenter smells great. May try that next in a NE IPA.

I wanted to say thanks Braufessor for the thread and the tips - first batch for me just tapped and it is awesome. Based on my inventory went with 75% 2row/5% white wheat/20% flaked oats+barley, 1318 (also my first time with this) and Citra/Mosaic/Azacca 1:1:1 for all the additions. I pretty much followed your schedule in post #1418 except I didn't jump to a separate serving keg. Don't think it's going to matter tho, tapped it today at the 2 week mark and this thing ain't going to survive to see 3.
:D

NEIPA.jpg

@revkev - how do you like the Blanc hops? You

This is the first brew I've done with them, it's a sister of Cascade with almost Nelson like grape character and some melony citrus. All these hops together just sounded great.. haven't used this much kettle hops in a while the wort it's looking just like hop water

View attachment 1496781612008.jpg

Did a lower gravity (NE Pale I suppose) based on a lot of the info in this thread.

8lb- Pale
1 lb- oats
.25 lb- crystal 40

.5 oz Columbus (60)
1 oz Columbus, 1 oz mosaic, 1.5 oz Citra at flameout

Dry hop
1 oz galaxy, 1 oz Equinox, 3 oz Citra

OG: 1.051
FG- 1.010
Fermented with a mix of Conan and Nottingham (my Conan culture has been throwing a ton of esters, so this was an attempt to mitigate that; worked pretty well)

Built up from RO water to Bru's specs.

Aroma is orange, lime, grapefruit, underripe mango, pineapple, some bready maltiness. Taste follows, soft, medium mouthfeel, super crushable and refreshing.

This is easily my most successful IPA I've made. The last time I attempted Brufessor's recipe it turned out swampy brown and lost like 75% of its hop aroma and flavor after bottle conditioning. I was pretty discouraged to even brew IPA's anymore until I get a kegging setup in a few months. I threw all stops and tested a batch of cream Ale by fermenting in my bottling bucket, and bottling straight off the spigot (gently stirring in priming sugar, all in one vessel). So I tried the NEIPA with low expectations but; this helped immensely! No discoloration, hop aroma is fresh and vibrant. I was so stoked I brewed another higher gravity batch that I just threw an 11oz dry hop of mostly Galaxy in. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496815228.568771.jpg

Did a lower gravity (NE Pale I suppose) based on a lot of the info in this thread.

8lb- Pale
1 lb- oats
.25 lb- crystal 40

.5 oz Columbus (60)
1 oz Columbus, 1 oz mosaic, 1.5 oz Citra at flameout

Dry hop
1 oz galaxy, 1 oz Equinox, 3 oz Citra

OG: 1.051
FG- 1.010
Fermented with a mix of Conan and Nottingham (my Conan culture has been throwing a ton of esters, so this was an attempt to mitigate that; worked pretty well)

Built up from RO water to Bru's specs.

Aroma is orange, lime, grapefruit, underripe mango, pineapple, some bready maltiness. Taste follows, soft, medium mouthfeel, super crushable and refreshing.

This is easily my most successful IPA I've made. The last time I attempted Brufessor's recipe it turned out swampy brown and lost like 75% of its hop aroma and flavor after bottle conditioning. I was pretty discouraged to even brew IPA's anymore until I get a kegging setup in a few months. I threw all stops and tested a batch of cream Ale by fermenting in my bottling bucket, and bottling straight off the spigot (gently stirring in priming sugar, all in one vessel). So I tried the NEIPA with low expectations but; this helped immensely! No discoloration, hop aroma is fresh and vibrant. I was so stoked I brewed another higher gravity batch that I just threw an 11oz dry hop of mostly Galaxy in. View attachment 403419

Bottling buckets are a great way to ferment. That became my fermenter of choice until I bought some Brew Buckets. If I was not using Brew Buckets, I would go back to the bottling buckets in a heartbeat. I actually still use them for lagers because they fit in my chest freezer/fermentation chamber better.

Make sure you are taking extra precautions with the spigots. That is the only downside. Take them totally apart (they pull apart into multiple pieces..... lots of people don't realize that.) Also, I generally put a plastic baggie over the spigot with a rubber band during fermentation to keep stuff out and spray it out thoroughly with star san before pulling anything through the spigot.

Glad this one worked out for you -looks great.:mug:

Bottling buckets are a great way to ferment. That became my fermenter of choice until I bought some Brew Buckets. If I was not using Brew Buckets, I would go back to the bottling buckets in a heartbeat. I actually still use them for lagers because they fit in my chest freezer/fermentation chamber better.

Make sure you are taking extra precautions with the spigots. That is the only downside. Take them totally apart (they pull apart into multiple pieces..... lots of people don't realize that.) Also, I generally put a plastic baggie over the spigot with a rubber band during fermentation to keep stuff out and spray it out thoroughly with star san before pulling anything through the spigot.

Glad this one worked out for you -looks great.:mug:

I bought a two-pack of spigots on Amazon which seem nicer quality than the ones they give you with homebrew kits. But yes, Ive just took it all apart, cleaned it, hit with starsan it, then faced it upward and spray it all down with starsan, and wrap a sanitized piece of aluminum foil around it while it ferments.

Glad you agree. The risks of contamination by fermenting in a vessel with a spigot seem much more unlikely then the risk, for me at least, of further oxidizing my beer by having to rack then bottle, so I'm gonna keep it up for now.

Brau, I'm sure you discussed this before, but do you mill your flaked oats?

I've used them before but just for kicks I milled them this time, and I feel the elusive "slickness" in this beer more than others I've brewed.

Brau, I'm sure you discussed this before, but do you mill your flaked oats?

I've used them before but just for kicks I milled them this time, and I feel the elusive "slickness" in this beer more than others I've brewed.

I do.... but, honestly, the main reason is that one time I did not mill them and left them to the side..... and I forgot to put them in the mash. So, now, I just run it all through the mill and have it is the same bucket.

They don't "need" to be milled. But, unless you have lots of problems with stuck sparges, there is no harm in milling them either.

This thread has been an awesome read. I've read every page and I have to say, I don't think S-04 gets much credit as a yeast choice. If you shake a 1l starter with a pack of s-04 and pitch at high krausen it makes a fantastic version of this IPA/apa. And the ability to keep dry yeast vs liquid make it my go to.

I've heard it's the same as 007? Which I know makes an excellent NEIPA

Catching up on this thread.
Two weeks ago, I made a hoppy pale ale in which I had heavy whirlpool hopping and pitched a rehydrated pack of 04. I dry-hopped first addition on day three at high krausen and added big second dryhop a few days ago.
The appearance of the beer, now at final gravity and ready for keg, is hazy AF. That was not my intention but I was curious about hopping at krausen and other big additions.

I've brewed many successful NEIPA's in the past but I'm looking to change things up a little bit. I want see what effect raising the level of flaked oats has and dropping a bit of the wheat out. Traditionally I have done equal amounts that add to no greater than 20% of the total grain bill. Any thoughts on how that may change the mouthfeel, appearance or texture of the beer? Here is the recipe I'm looking at doing:

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 83% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.22%
IBU (tinseth): 32.77
SRM (morey): 3.72

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (63.9%)
2 lb - Flaked Oats (18.3%)
1 lb - American - White Wheat (9.1%)
0.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (4.6%)
0.45 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.1%)

HOPS:
0.55 oz - Columbus, First Wort,
1.5 oz - Citra, Whirlpool for 30 min at 165 °F
1.5 oz - Mosaic, Whirlpool for 30 min at 165 °F
1.5 oz - Azacca, Whirlpool for 30 min at °F
2.5 oz - Citra, Dry Hop for 3 days
2.5 oz - Mosaic, Dry Hop for 3 days
2.5 oz - Azacca, Dry Hop for 3 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 15 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast - A38 Juice
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 67 - 80 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F & Ramp to 72 F

I've brewed many successful NEIPA's in the past but I'm looking to change things up a little bit. I want see what effect raising the level of flaked oats has and dropping a bit of the wheat out. Traditionally I have done equal amounts that add to no greater than 20% of the total grain bill. Any thoughts on how that may change the mouthfeel, appearance or texture of the beer? Here is the recipe I'm looking at doing:

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 83% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.22%
IBU (tinseth): 32.77
SRM (morey): 3.72

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (63.9%)
2 lb - Flaked Oats (18.3%)
1 lb - American - White Wheat (9.1%)
0.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (4.6%)
0.45 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.1%)

HOPS:
0.55 oz - Columbus, First Wort,
1.5 oz - Citra, Whirlpool for 30 min at 165 °F
1.5 oz - Mosaic, Whirlpool for 30 min at 165 °F
1.5 oz - Azacca, Whirlpool for 30 min at °F
2.5 oz - Citra, Dry Hop for 3 days
2.5 oz - Mosaic, Dry Hop for 3 days
2.5 oz - Azacca, Dry Hop for 3 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 15 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast - A38 Juice
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 67 - 80 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F & Ramp to 72 F

Just use 20% of the oats and take the sugar out, the wheat out and the carapils out.

Then you'll know for yourself what it's really contributing.

I get a sweetness (unique to oats that I can't quite place but it's cloying to me) from a high use of oats (actually not a fan) and it softens the mouthfeel...obviously your adding more protein so the haze may be more opaque and last longer.

Just use 20% of the oats and take the sugar out, the wheat out and the carapils out.

Then you'll know for yourself what it's really contributing.

I get a sweetness (unique to oats that I can't quite place but it's cloying to me) from a high use of oats (actually not a fan) and it softens the mouthfeel...obviously your adding more protein so the haze may be more opaque and last longer.

Interesting about the sweetness from a higher usage of Oats, don't know if I've ever heard that one before honestly. As far as haze. I've never had haze drop out before. Longest a keg has ever lasted was about 2.5 months (I was away for work) and came back it was still pouring strong.

Interesting about the sweetness from a higher usage of Oats, don't know if I've ever heard that one before honestly. As far as haze. I've never had haze drop out before. Longest a keg has ever lasted was about 2.5 months (I was away for work) and came back it was still pouring strong.

Yeah maybe it's me. I just haven't preferred the beers I've used flaked oats in as much. Even the Saisons I've made with it and those get real dry. Could be my process or I confuse the body they give with sweetness. I use white wheat all the time and enjoy it.

There's a great article by Scott Janish about using oats:

http://scottjanish.com/case-brewing-oats/

Edit: It is a flavor thing for me though...like a artificial sweetener taste that lingers from the finish of the beer that I get. It's very subtle but I've tasted it in Tired Hands Hop Hands (I know it's just malted oats) and a hoppy beer from Hill Farmstead that used oats in it...one of the Grassroots Beers I think.

I did this exact same recipe 3 weeks ago. Kegged it last Saturday and I must say that this is my best recipe for an NEIPA.
I went with 113 Sulfate and 171 Chloride. My next water profile will be the one from your updated post:

Ca = 100
Mg = 5
Na = 13
Sulfate = 147
Chloride = 80
Bicarbonate = 16

Look at this wonderful perfect color.

tjjyh1h.jpg

Cheers and thanks for the recipe.

This keg is about to be kicked... It was so good that I am gonna brew this exact grainbill recipe again but I have 3 oz of Nelson Sauvin that is waiting to be used.
I never used Nelson Sauvin before what do you think about Citra/Mosaic/Nelson Sauvin ???

This keg is about to be kicked... It was so good that I am gonna brew this exact grainbill recipe again but I have 3 oz of Nelson Sauvin that is waiting to be used.

I never used Nelson Sauvin before what do you think about Citra/Mosaic/Nelson Sauvin ???

If you've got galaxy. Make it a 4way.
Nelson works well. IMO

Solid but they lead all their good points with suggesting a 5 minute addition stating it will yield low bitterness. I strongly disagree with this and highly advise against it. Save those hops for the dry hop for this style. Actual IBU's would be way higher than anything I like to target (30-35 IBU's) assuming you use a controlled 60min addition already.

I also think that 30min is way overkill for a whirlpool @ 170* and actually detrimental to the desired hop chararistics. Volatile compounds dissolve & aromatize quickly. I get great results in as little as 10min with pellets starting @ 160*.

X331 Experimental hop NE SMASH Pale Ale. This hop puts out super fruity and dank notes at the same time, its kind of like a mix of simcoe and citra. Lots of tangerine and passion fruit. I noticed that before the 2nd dry hopping it was much more fruit forward so next time i may take it easy on the quantity! A whole LB went into this one...

Briess 2-Row Malt
X331 Hops
London ale III Yeast

Want to try with pilsner malt and maybe some flaked oats or wheat. Also, does anyone think that this style tastes better with say WLP001? I am curious to hear yeast alternatives that are a bit more thirst quenching if that makes sense. I mean ripe fruit is great but 1318 can be a bit cloying IMO.

18358629_733546926824479_5329521708302946047_o.jpg

interesting about the "burning throat" character. i've had that in some of my super murky neipas. it doesn't seem to be a problem in some other styles though, such as saison and belgian golden strong ale, where the murkiness from yeast actually makes the beer taste good to me with now burning character. i wonder if it isn't more of super-high level of some hop particulates that creates the burn?

I think the hop pellet particles cause the burn. A non-floccing yeast + oats + no finings + a pound of hops = burning hop dust in suspension (chew a raw hop pellet! you'll see), which subsides with time...

X331 Experimental hop NE SMASH Pale Ale. This hop puts out super fruity and dank notes at the same time, its kind of like a mix of simcoe and citra. Lots of tangerine and passion fruit. I noticed that before the 2nd dry hopping it was much more fruit forward so next time i may take it easy on the quantity! A whole LB went into this one...

Briess 2-Row Malt
X331 Hops
London ale III Yeast

Want to try with pilsner malt and maybe some flaked oats or wheat. Also, does anyone think that this style tastes better with say WLP001? I am curious to hear yeast alternatives that are a bit more thirst quenching if that makes sense. I mean ripe fruit is great but 1318 can be a bit cloying IMO.

Where did you get the x331?

Where did you get the x331?

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/

:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:
Currently sold out, try to check in about once a week. I had to wait like 2 months.

Would blend with something that offers a just a little pine/resin/grapefruit like cascade, but does great on its own. I might try a cleaner pale ale or hoppy pilsner with 1/4 the x331 hops next time to see if i can make it less heavy. This strain is seriously stone fruit and melon juicy even in small amounts, and can get verrry dank in large amounts. Will be a really big name if it can make it to the point of getting named.

Solid but they lead all their good points with suggesting a 5 minute addition stating it will yield low bitterness. I strongly disagree with this and highly advise against it. Save those hops for the dry hop for this style. Actual IBU's would be way higher than anything I like to target (30-35 IBU's) assuming you use a controlled 60min addition already.

I also think that 30min is way overkill for a whirlpool @ 170* and actually detrimental to the desired hop chararistics. Volatile compounds dissolve & aromatize quickly. I get great results in as little as 10min with pellets starting @ 160*.

In combination with a bittering hop I agree. I've been running some hop bursting 15 - FO w/o a bittering hop and love it. The bitter is super smooth and just enough to balance the hop juice.

I am curious to hear yeast alternatives that are a bit more thirst quenching if that makes sense. I mean ripe fruit is great but 1318 can be a bit cloying IMO.

I have been using WY1272 in quite a few styles and liking it lately. Stouts/porters, a couple ambers, and 3 DIPA's (one more NEIPA like). If you have some wheat/oats in the grain bill and add the hops with 4-5 points left in fermentation it finishes cloudy, nice mouthfeel, and not overly fruity/sweet. I didn't start using the 1272 until I was on generation 3 of harvesting so using it right from a smack pack I don't know how it will be.

Not sure how different it is than adding oats to the mash. Cooler temp is really the only difference. More of a steep than a mash I guess.

True, although its definitely a slightly different take on the whole oats in beer craze thats going on. Having had oat milk recently, i can tell you its quite a potent flavour contribution, so it'd be interestingto see what sort of flavour it contributes.

interesting also, that he add 10% malted oats to the mash as well.

Back