New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5852.jpg

kegged this Sunday-not carbed yet obviously but should I expect the hop bite to subside with time? I'm guessing since this is a big beer (8%) it might take more time for the yeast to fall out? I think I finally understand the term green though lol

Give it a few weeks. It takes some time for those hop particles to drop out.

IMG_5852.jpg

kegged this Sunday-not carbed yet obviously but should I expect the hop bite to subside with time? I'm guessing since this is a big beer (8%) it might take more time for the yeast to fall out? I think I finally understand the term green though lol

Every three days or so, pour a few ounces to clear out the beer that's in the lines, which will be oxidized and gross, and then pour another few ounces. You will see a constant improvement. Deciding when it's good enough to drink will take many batches as each one is different. Sometimes you think it's at its prime, you start drinking the crap out of it, and it just keeps getting better. Sometimes it gets good fast and it starts declining before you begin drinking the crap out of it. There is a definite, large learning curve with these types of beers. The only way to understand them is to keep brewing them.

Every three days or so, pour a few ounces to clear out the beer that's in the lines, which will be oxidized and gross, and then pour another few ounces. You will see a constant improvement. Deciding when it's good enough to drink will take many batches as each one is different. Sometimes you think it's at its prime, you start drinking the crap out of it, and it just keeps getting better. Sometimes it gets good fast and it starts declining before you begin drinking the crap out of it. There is a definite, large learning curve with these types of beers. The only way to understand them is to keep brewing them.

Why are the first few ounces oxidizawed as hell?

Yeah, I see that. I posted before I saw your pic, thanks. My fermenter is ported. Hopefully I'll be okay pulling from underneath.

This is from day 3 or so. I think I'll add my second round of dry hops tomorrow and keg Sunday. I can't wait to put this in my mouth.

It actually does seem slightly clearer, but nowhere near clear. Day 9.

View attachment 1485949272505.jpg

Why are the first few ounces oxidizawed as hell?

Beer line is oxygen permeable. The beer that has been sitting in the line for even one day always tastes drastically different than what's right behind it in the keg. The difference is obvious to me, but maybe not everyone can detect it.

Beer line is oxygen permeable. The beer that has been sitting in the line for even one day always tastes drastically different than what's right behind it in the keg. The difference is obvious to me, but maybe not everyone can detect it.

I agree - I always dump the first couple ounces or so on the first pour of the night. Beer that has been sitting in the lines for a day+ is sub par in my opinion also. After the first pour of the night, subsequent pours I let it roll, but I always dispose of that first blast that has been sitting in the lines.

I agree - I always dump the first couple ounces or so on the first pour of the night. Beer that has been sitting in the lines for a day+ is sub par in my opinion also. After the first pour of the night, subsequent pours I let it roll, but I always dispose of that first blast that has been sitting in the lines.

Is it O2, or maybe the line is the tower is warmer, so the first few ounces are off tasting, foamy?

I do the same with any beer.

So I'm going to do my first dry hop tomorrow. I have an oz of Denali that I was going to throw in along with the citra, mosaic, and galaxy. Would I get more impact from the 1 oz of Denali in the first or second dry hop?

Just threw a 100% brett Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #2 on gas today but poured a big glass to taste. 8 weeks in the fermenter, galaxy and citra in the boil, big citra dry hop. Looks, tastes and smells like straight up pineapple juice! Can't wait til it's carbed up.

zOU9Jbb.jpg

Just threw a 100% brett Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #2 on gas today but poured a big glass to taste. 8 weeks in the fermenter, galaxy and citra in the boil, big citra dry hop. Looks, tastes and smells like straight up pineapple juice! Can't wait til it's carbed up.

zOU9Jbb.jpg

Count me very intrigued......

*I assume you used that yeast for the primary ferment.

*Did you basically follow this recipe otherwise??

*With an 8 week ferment, how did you handle the dry hopping??

*Have you done the recipe as a normal "ale"? How do you find it comparing to this NEIPA, or other similar NEIPA??

Sharing a pic of my attempt. This is the second pull from the Keg. Lots of mouthfeel, aroma, and flavor. Low to moderate bitterness. I'm pretty happy with it. Needs a few more days to carb(on day 5 of 15psi.)

906E45FF-CC55-4931-A266-6143DECFA46C_zpsz1nlwx6u.jpg

91BB513B-559B-4937-ADCC-7EFFCC554DDA_zps4ydbgepc.jpg

Ended up with a 1.072 OG

Rounded up the golden promise and 2 row to 6#, cut the flaked oats to 1/2# and added 1# of oat malt. Otherwise used the malt bill from post 1418. Cut the bittering hop to 0.5 oz but followed the OP hop scheduled.

Count me very intrigued......

*I assume you used that yeast for the primary ferment.

*Did you basically follow this recipe otherwise??

*With an 8 week ferment, how did you handle the dry hopping??

*Have you done the recipe as a normal "ale"? How do you find it comparing to this NEIPA, or other similar NEIPA??

Yup 100% Funk Weapon #2. Didn't use your recipe, but used a similar one I've been brewing for a few years. 82% Pils/18% Golden Naked Oats. I typically do 80-85% base pils/pale or a blend, and 15-20% flaked oats/malted oats/GNO/spelt/wheat or a blend.

I left it sitting because I had other beer to drink and was too lazy to keg it up for a while. It smelled like super fruity mango juice while fermenting, like a beer that was already dry hopped even though it wasn't. The second month the mango aroma mellowed and the bretty overripe/tart aroma came out more. Like warm cut up pineapple that was sitting out for a day or so.

I've done similar recipes since 2013 with different hops/malts/yeasts etc. This one is definitely the most straight up juicy NEIPA I've done. I was afraid the brett would over attenuate and thin it out too much, ruining the body, but it actually has a great medium/full body with some slickness from the oats (it finished around 1.012!)

It really reminds me of pineapple cocktail juice. It has a similar sweetness, and even has that pineapple tartness with it. You could even call it a Sour Pineapple NEIPA. The light tartness is super refreshing and really helps drive home the pineapple character.

All dry hops were added to the keg for 48 hours before throwing it in my kegerator and putting it on gas. Purged keg, bagged hops, lightly agitating the keg twice a day to disperse. I wasn't anal about O2 exposure. I definitely popped off the airlock a few times to smell it over the course of 8 weeks. Siphoned it to a keg. It had a lot of time and chances to get oxidized and somehow it isn't!

I think my theory that brett IPAs prevent oxidation has some truth to it. This is one of the most aromatic NEIPAs I've made, even after an 8 week primary, and only one 4oz addition of Citra for a dryhop!

Yup 100% Funk Weapon #2. Didn't use your recipe, but used a similar one I've been brewing for a few years. 82% Pils/18% Golden Naked Oats. I typically do 80-85% base pils/pale or a blend, and 15-20% flaked oats/malted oats/GNO/spelt/wheat or a blend.

I left it sitting because I had other beer to drink and was too lazy to keg it up for a while. It smelled like super fruity mango juice while fermenting, like a beer that was already dry hopped even though it wasn't. The second month the mango aroma mellowed and the bretty overripe/tart aroma came out more. Like warm cut up pineapple that was sitting out for a day or so.

I've done similar recipes since 2013 with different hops/malts/yeasts etc. This one is definitely the most straight up juicy NEIPA I've done. I was afraid the brett would over attenuate and thin it out too much, ruining the body, but it actually has a great medium/full body with some slickness from the oats (it finished around 1.012!)

It really reminds me of pineapple cocktail juice. It has a similar sweetness, and even has that pineapple tartness with it. You could even call it a Sour Pineapple NEIPA. The light tartness is super refreshing and really helps drive home the pineapple character.

All dry hops were added to the keg for 48 hours before throwing it in my kegerator and putting it on gas. Purged keg, bagged hops, lightly agitating the keg twice a day to disperse. I wasn't anal about O2 exposure. I definitely popped off the airlock a few times to smell it over the course of 8 weeks. Siphoned it to a keg. It had a lot of time and chances to get oxidized and somehow it isn't!

I think my theory that brett IPAs prevent oxidation has some truth to it. This is one of the most aromatic NEIPAs I've made, even after an 8 week primary, and only one 4oz addition of Citra for a dryhop!

Great info - thanks!

Is it O2, or maybe the line is the tower is warmer, so the first few ounces are off tasting, foamy?

It's just O2 in my case since my lines are inside my keezer and the exact same temp as the kegs. The first few ounces are actually flat, not foamy.

Thanks for this info! One more question. Even though you let yours sit for an extended amount of time, how long do you think it actually took FW#2 to reach terminal gravity?

Thanks for this info! One more question. Even though you let yours sit for an extended amount of time, how long do you think it actually took FW#2 to reach terminal gravity?

Guessing by airlock activity/flocculation/etc, anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

Anyone try this style on Nitro yet? I thought it might be the best creamy body but also maybe less aromatic/flavorful due to less volatilization of hop aromatics.

Anyone try this style on Nitro yet? I thought it might be the best creamy body but also maybe less aromatic/flavorful due to less volatilization of hop aromatics.

I hada normal APA the other day on nitro, wasn't too fussed (not a NEPA/NEIPA)

to be honest though I've never really enjoyed hoppy beers on handpump or nitro, it loses too much of its intended purpose i think.

stick with rich malty beers for nitro and HP

I hada normal APA the other day on nitro, wasn't too fussed (not a NEPA/NEIPA)

to be honest though I've never really enjoyed hoppy beers on handpump or nitro, it loses too much of its intended purpose i think.

stick with rich malty beers for nitro and HP

Yeah - sadly, I have to agree with this. I have a beer engine and have never really found hoppy IPA type beers to benefit from the beer engine. The few I have had on nitro were "fine"..... but they were not as good as the similar beer was carbed naturally.

That said.... I still plan to take another stab at a "british bitter" version of this beer..... and serve some of it on beer engine. Probably brew it up on Sunday as a matter of fact.

For this style how long do you guys typically keg condition/carb before it hits its prime? Esp. for guys that do not cold crash before kegging, do you think it's necessary to sit on it for a couple of weeks for the beer to taste less green (especially with the boat loads of dry hops that this style necessitates)?

For this style how long do you guys typically keg condition/carb before it hits its prime? Esp. for guys that do not cold crash before kegging, do you think it's necessary to sit on it for a couple of weeks for the beer to taste less green (especially with the boat loads of dry hops that this style necessitates)?

I think it can depend somewhat on the hops.... I find hops like columbus, Centennial, etc. take more time than citra, Mosaic types.

For me....
Days 1-14 - fermenting/dry hopping/ etc.
Days 14-21 - carbonating ( I am also drinking some during this time)
Days 21-35 - I think this 2 week window is when the beer is at its best
Days 35 and on..... If it is still on tap, it is good, but it is going to probably drop off a little every day after this point.

I keg and drink the next day or so. Force carb at 30psi for a day then drop to serving pressure and maybe wait another day depending on where it's at. I do not wait weeks to drink though.

I think it can depend somewhat on the hops.... I find hops like columbus, Centennial, etc. take more time than citra, Mosaic types.

For me....
Days 1-14 - fermenting/dry hopping/ etc.
Days 14-21 - carbonating ( I am also drinking some during this time)
Days 21-55 - I think this 2 week window is when the beer is at its best
Days 35 and on..... If it is still on tap, it is good, but it is going to probably drop off a little every day after this point.

Good to hear-I whirlpooled and dry hopped with columbus so that might explain it. Smells like straight dank though :)

I've been away for 4 days and returned home to find that my ferm chamber heater stopped working. Looks to be hanging around the upper 50's. Anybody experience this before? Are there any possible defects I should look for in the beer? DIPA brewed on 1/22 and kegging this weekend.

Checked the gravity before I left and it was sitting around 1.014/15 so I'm not concerned with it attenuating. Moreso any issues with yeast cleanup or the dryhops.

Probably overthinking this but just curious. Thanks guys.

I've been away for 4 days and returned home to find that my ferm chamber heater stopped working. Looks to be hanging around the upper 50's. Anybody experience this before? Are there any possible defects I should look for in the beer? DIPA brewed on 1/22 and kegging this weekend.

Checked the gravity before I left and it was sitting around 1.014/15 so I'm not concerned with it attenuating. Moreso any issues with yeast cleanup or the dryhops.

Probably overthinking this but just curious. Thanks guys.

If fermentation was complete (which it basically sounds like it was) you should be fine. One thing that I have had happen is when I have had temp. drops early and yeast kind of shuts down (especially if using english yeasts) is you can get acetaldehyde. However, I have found that if I take a keg with acetaldehyde (apple kind of flavor often) and set it at room temperature for a week or so, it often clears itself up. So, I think your fermentation is probably fine. If you do encounter something in the way of the beer tasting "unfinished" or slight off flavors, that would be my strategy - set it at room temperature for a week or so.

Kegged my attempt on Mon. Impatiently waiting for it to be ready. Just took a sample, not ready. The waiting game sucks in this hobby! hahaha Pineapple a plenty on the nose and palate tho.

Guess I'll have to drink some more TH and Trillium while I wait. TGIF!

Brewed This with 1:1:1 ratio of simcoe Amarillo and Galaxy. Just added first round of dry hops and smells amazing. Have brewed this with citra mosaic and Galaxy and lived it. Can't wait to try the latest batch. And I am using imperial a38 juice for the first time.

So I have a question. My fermentation is done but I'm curious as to why my final gravity is so low?? Everyone else seems to be ending at 1.013ish, and mine ended at 1.005 which is way lower than I wanted. I only used one pack of 1318 yeast and made a 1liter starter which was technically under pitching by a small amount according to the yeast calculators. I feel like that low of a final gravity takes away from the sweetness and dries it out way to much. My starting gravity was dead on at 1.062

So I have a question. My fermentation is done but I'm curious as to why my final gravity is so low?? Everyone else seems to be ending at 1.013ish, and mine ended at 1.005 which is way lower than I wanted. I only used one pack of 1318 yeast and made a 1liter starter which was technically under pitching by a small amount according to the yeast calculators. I feel like that low of a final gravity takes away from the sweetness and dries it out way to much. My starting gravity was dead on at 1.062

Mash temp? Most ppl seem to be around 154-156 for this style

what is the mash temp? do you use a mashout? does the wort cool down and sit before heating in the kettle for the main boil?

My OG was also 1.062 but finished at 1.016 with using 1318. A FG of 1.005 seems extremely low for that strain.

Back