New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any experience with Idaho 7 "hop hash?" Something like 34% alpha acids.... lol

I picked up two ounces of it. Thinking about them in a NE IPA, but the stuff scares me. Thinking one ounces at flame out ,and another for dry hopping.

I have a batch going with it right now. Using a 1/2 oz addition of the Idaho 7 hash at both dry hops, along with citra, mosaic, and galaxy. Transferred from primary to dry hop keg today, smells killer. Will have more information in about a week once I go into the serving keg and chill/carb.

I have a batch going with it right now. Using a 1/2 oz addition of the Idaho 7 hash at both dry hops, along with citra, mosaic, and galaxy. Transferred from primary to dry hop keg today, smells killer. Will have more information in about a week once I go into the serving keg and chill/carb.

Awesome! Thanks

Heres my next version:

1.062 - 5.5 Gall
65% Pilsner Malt
15% Wheat
10% Flaked Oats
10% Malted Oats

FWH-Columbus (1 oz)
5min-Columbus (1 oz)
0min-Columbus (1 oz)

Dryhops- Mosaic Galaxy Citra 2oz of each.
WLP007

Heres my next version:

1.062 - 5.5 Gall
65% Pilsner Malt
15% Wheat
10% Flaked Oats
10% Malted Oats

FWH-Columbus (1 oz)
5min-Columbus (1 oz)
0min-Columbus (1 oz)

Dryhops- Mosaic Galaxy Citra 2oz of each.
WLP007

i was thinking of a similar strategy for mine tomorrow in terms of CTZ at flameout and then dryhop with denali and eureka.

I have an ounce of Denali that I would like to throw in the second dry hopping. Should I just add it with the galaxy/mosaic/citra or remove one of those?

I have an ounce of Denali that I would like to throw in the second dry hopping. Should I just add it with the galaxy/mosaic/citra or remove one of those?

I'm sure it will blend fine with those. Layer a touch of pineapple onto the classic Braufessor hop combo.

Trying my first attempt to this style this weekend. I have a funny feeling it will be the first of many! I'll be using Azacca, El Dorada, and Citra. 2 gen of Conan for yeast.

I'm about to keg and 2nd dry hop an ipa with these same hops. I didn't really follow this recipe, but I'm shooting for a tropical, juicy NE IPA. I used WLP 095 Burlington ale yeast for the first time, after not finding much info on the yeast. I overshot the gravity a little (1.074), and the yeast went all the way to 1.012, so it's gonna be a little bigger than it should be.

I'm about to keg and 2nd dry hop an ipa with these same hops. I didn't really follow this recipe, but I'm shooting for a tropical, juicy NE IPA. I used WLP 095 Burlington ale yeast for the first time, after not finding much info on the yeast. I overshot the gravity a little (1.074), and the yeast went all the way to 1.012, so it's gonna be a little bigger than it should be.

I LOVE WLP095! It's a great yeast. It ferments very well, non-finicky, and leaves a very round, smooth flavor in the beer. I've used it in various IPAs and also in porters and stouts. It would make a great house yeast. It is not as crisp and bitter in the perception compared with the Chico strain.

Nice! Just brewed mine yesterday. Used
.5 horizon for FWH.
2 oz El Doroado FO
1 oz Azzaca FO
1 oz Citra FO
Using 2 oz each to dry hop
Came in at 1.056. This is the first time I did a small bettering and FO only hop schedule. Had a really smooth bitterness but no real hop flavor or aroma. Hoping the dry hops will make up for that!

Nice! Just brewed mine yesterday. Used
.5 horizon for FWH.
2 oz El Doroado FO
1 oz Azzaca FO
1 oz Citra FO
Using 2 oz each to dry hop
Came in at 1.056. This is the first time I did a small bettering and FO only hop schedule. Had a really smooth bitterness but no real hop flavor or aroma. Hoping the dry hops will make up for that!

I did an oz Magnum at 60.
1 oz each of the citra, azacca, and el dorado at 10 minutes.
1 oz each of the citra, azacca, and el dorado for whirlpool.
1 oz each of the citra, azacca, and el dorado for dry hop on day 3 of primary fermentation.
And will be doing another oz of each of the 3 in the keg while carbonating getting ready for a NE Super Bowl.

tasted this recipe with amarillo citra and mosaic and I am in love. This keg will be kicked by next week especially with the superbowl. I think I'll do an all mosaic and all citra batch this weekend. I also want to increase my ABV.
Should I up everything proportionally or just the malted grains?

tasted this recipe with amarillo citra and mosaic and I am in love. This keg will be kicked by next week especially with the superbowl. I think I'll do an all mosaic and all citra batch this weekend. I also want to increase my ABV.

Awesome. If I make it bigger, I basically just scale up all of the grains in the same percentages (give or take round numbers).

Second batch based on this recipe is tasting great. Needed a little time to get past the bite/tingle from the heavy dry hop (you could see fine hop particles in the first several glasses, even after transferring through a 300 micron filter on the dip tube of the dry hop keg).

Brewed 1/7 and kegged 1/21. Columbus for bittering, the remaining four additions were 1.5 oz Citra and 1.5 oz Mosaic. OG of 1.070 and FG of 1.012, for ~7.8%.

5by934.jpg

there always a touch of additional sugar to increase abv, just bare in mind it might also dry it out a little more.

there always a touch of additional sugar to increase abv, just bare in mind it might also dry it out a little more.
I added honey to my last one (Azacca, Citra, Galaxy). I figured I'm adding honey malt, so why not honey (1 lb)? OG 1.074
Still in primary, so I'll let you know how it turns out if anybody is interested.

Well my first attempt was a hit, kicking the keg in about 6 hours at a party full of bud light drinkers. Thank you very much for the recipe Braufessor!! This will be a mainstay in my rotation now, with some variation. Possibly the best beer I've made.

Second batch based on this recipe is tasting great. Needed a little time to get past the bite/tingle from the heavy dry hop (you could see fine hop particles in the first several glasses, even after transferring through a 300 micron filter on the dip tube of the dry hop keg).

Brewed 1/7 and kegged 1/21. Columbus for bittering, the remaining four additions were 1.5 oz Citra and 1.5 oz Mosaic. OG of 1.070 and FG of 1.012, for ~7.8%.

5by934.jpg

That looks great. How'd you get it so orange looking? I'm guessing you used Marris otter as your base malt. That seems to be what gives it a more orangish hue.

I used the recipe in the original posting and have a batch in the fermenter as we speak. SG was dead on at 1.062, but with 1318 and only a 1 liter starter at 3 days on a stirplate, my gravity right now is already 1.008 and it's still blowing bubbles pretty good. It's only been in the fermenter since Friday night at around 9pm, so not even 3 days. My mash pH was higher than calculated on Bru n water. I had it calculated at 5.39 and it ended up at 5.56. I'm gonna add the first dry hops tonight so we will see if that changes the color any. It tasted pretty good already from the sample I just tasted so I'm happy with that.

I used 50% Rahr 2-Row, 50% Muntons Pale Maris Otter for the base malts, and also a touch of C-40L, which may have added a little orange.

It is very lighting dependent, it is more yellow in low light but a great light orange in direct sunlight. I'd actually like it to be a little more orange and someone suggested using some Vienna, so I'll try that in a future batch.

I also used 1318 (1500mL starter, saved 500mL and pitched 1000mL at high krausen) and went from 1.070 to 1.015 in 48 hours. Added the first dry hop at that point, it ended up finishing at 1.012.

Grain Bill
6 lbs Rahr 2 Row
6 lbs Muntons Pale Maris Otter
1 lbs Flaked Oats
0.5 lbs Flaked Barley
0.5 lbs Rahr White Wheat
0.25 lbs Gambrinus Honey
0.25 lbs Briess 2 Row 40L

Awesome. If I make it bigger, I basically just scale up all of the grains in the same percentages (give or take round numbers).

Still new to this. In homebrew terms, does bigger mean bigger volume or higher abv?

Forgot to thank you for the recipe.

THANKS! It's amazing and I actually prefer it over a few of the NEIPAs I've tried. Now I want to brew two more batches in one day to give it a fighting chance to mature a bit.

I'm very impatient with my brews.

Wondering what all citra and all mosaic will taste like. I have some Treehouse brewery - green and taste pineapples and will be buying some eldorado soon!

Sorry if this has been answered but is everyone using half 2 row/ half marris otter to save money or does it actually make a difference vs all Marris otter?

I used 50% Rahr 2-Row, 50% Muntons Pale Maris Otter for the base malts, and also a touch of C-40L, which may have added a little orange.

It is very lighting dependent, it is more yellow in low light but a great light orange in direct sunlight. I'd actually like it to be a little more orange and someone suggested using some Vienna, so I'll try that in a future batch.

I also used 1318 (1500mL starter, saved 500mL and pitched 1000mL at high krausen) and went from 1.070 to 1.015 in 48 hours. Added the first dry hop at that point, it ended up finishing at 1.012.

Grain Bill
6 lbs Rahr 2 Row
6 lbs Muntons Pale Maris Otter
1 lbs Flaked Oats
0.5 lbs Flaked Barley
0.5 lbs Rahr White Wheat
0.25 lbs Gambrinus Honey
0.25 lbs Briess 2 Row 40L

My gain bill I came up with is really close to this. Mosaic, citra, Amarillo hops going in it.

Still new to this. In homebrew terms, does bigger mean bigger volume or higher abv?

Forgot to thank you for the recipe.

THANKS! It's amazing and I actually prefer it over a few of the NEIPAs I've tried. Now I want to brew two more batches in one day to give it a fighting chance to mature a bit.

I'm very impatient with my brews.

Wondering what all citra and all mosaic will taste like. I have some Treehouse brewery - green and taste pineapples and will be buying some eldorado soon!

Yes--- meaning higher gravity (higher ABV). So, if I wanted to take it up to 1.070-1.080 starting gravity, I would likely just increase everything in the same/close to the same ratios.

Sorry if this has been answered but is everyone using half 2 row/ half marris otter to save money or does it actually make a difference vs all Marris otter?

Just depends on what u want. You'll get more malt taste out of marris otter so it's a good compliment to doing a half 2 row/MO mix that way for me I don't have to add any other base malts like Vienna or Munich but I also a lot of time just use all 2 row with dashes of c10, white wheat, flaked oats, barley, and carapils. The fun is in experimenting but the original recipe brau uses 2 row and golden promise which is lighter than MO but just slightly maltier than 2 row. Heck I think an even all MO base wouldn't be bad in this and it gives a nice color too.

Does anyone happen have a picture of a successful batch in the fermenter close to kegging day? I usually watch for my beer to drop clear but I'm not sure what to expect here. I'm on day 8 of my first batch and it doesn't look my different than day 1.

Does anyone happen have a picture of a successful batch in the fermenter close to kegging day? I usually watch for my beer to drop clear but I'm not sure what to expect here. I'm on day 8 of my first batch and it doesn't look my different than day 1.

Mine looks the same on Day 7 as Day 1 except less green and more yellowish. I don't think you should expect this style to clear up. Have you taken a gravity reading?

Mine is typically in a keg by Day 7 for a 2nd round of dry hops.

@Murphyslaw, She's murky the whole way through.:) Just kegged it. Will post pic of what she looks like Fri/Sat.

Thanks @hopme and @hezagenius, that's helpful to know. I thought maybe it would clear up some, but not completely. I have not taken a gravity reading, but I will before I keg. With all the talk about O2 being particularly troublesome for this beer, I didn't want to open it up.

Also, I make a lot of traditional IPAs--probably 5-6 last year--but I always use a bag to contain my dry hops. This time I did not, and last time I looked, which was probably day 7 or 8, there was still a layer of hop matter floating at the top. I assume that's normal too? Does that drop or do you just drain from underneath it?

Man I feel like such a noob with these questions! :)

I racked from underneath mine. You can see there's a layer of hop sludge on the surface of mine.

From now on, I'm going to use a SS mesh tube around the racking cane. I picked up a lot of hop material just piercing that layer.

I racked from underneath mine. You can see there's a layer of hop sludge on the surface of mine.

From now on, I'm going to use a SS mesh tube around the racking cane. I picked up a lot of hop material just piercing that layer.

Yeah, I see that. I posted before I saw your pic, thanks. My fermenter is ported. Hopefully I'll be okay pulling from underneath.

This is from day 3 or so. I think I'll add my second round of dry hops tomorrow and keg Sunday. I can't wait to put this in my mouth.

View attachment 1485897801060.jpg

I've gone grain to glass in 7 days with these before. All depends on how quickly it gets fermenting really.

oh right - personally i dont think i'd be comfortable with that. i like to let the yeast condition and eat up any possible off-flavors before hand. but it obviously works foryou.

Thanks @hopme and @hezagenius, that's helpful to know. I thought maybe it would clear up some, but not completely. I have not taken a gravity reading, but I will before I keg. With all the talk about O2 being particularly troublesome for this beer, I didn't want to open it up.

Also, I make a lot of traditional IPAs--probably 5-6 last year--but I always use a bag to contain my dry hops. This time I did not, and last time I looked, which was probably day 7 or 8, there was still a layer of hop matter floating at the top. I assume that's normal too? Does that drop or do you just drain from underneath it?

Man I feel like such a noob with these questions! :)

i never take gravity samples with these. why risk oxidation? chill the beer down and the floating hops will sink and compact some. then u can rack off of them into your keg out poppet without clogs. i do this with 2oz/gal dry hops. works great

IMG_5852.jpg

kegged this Sunday-not carbed yet obviously but should I expect the hop bite to subside with time? I'm guessing since this is a big beer (8%) it might take more time for the yeast to fall out? I think I finally understand the term green though lol

Back