New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Galaxy, columbus, chinook = solid combo! Huge orange citrus flavor with some earthiness of the Columbus to balance it a little. Really good.

This batch had zero wheat or oats. 13lbs MO, 2 lb crystal 20, 1 lb Vienna. Extreme haze and smooth hop bomb. Haze has to be strictly from the massive flame out addition and steep.

This is also a single dry hop with 5 Oz of hops for 4 days. Any more aroma I wouldn't know what to do with myself!

Wife isn't a huge IPA fan and her response was, "this is good! I'm not even saying that to be nice, I would drink this!"

View attachment 1476637547992.jpg

Galaxy, columbus, chinook = solid combo! Huge orange citrus flavor with some earthiness of the Columbus to balance it a little. Really good.

This batch had zero wheat or oats. 13lbs MO, 2 lb crystal 20, 1 lb Vienna. Extreme haze and smooth hop bomb. Haze has to be strictly from the massive flame out addition and steep.

This is also a single dry hop with 5 Oz of hops for 4 days. Any more aroma I wouldn't know what to do with myself!

Wife isn't a huge IPA fan and her response was, "this is good! I'm not even saying that to be nice, I would drink this!"

I like the sounds of that hop combo. Would you mind posting your hop schedule?

I love this style of beer. Primarily El Dorado with Citra and Azacca too

IMG_3724.jpg

Thanks to the B-fessor and all the posters, killer thread. Tapped this last week but needed to mellow a bit. Pretty solid now but definitely some improvements in my process I need to make. Followed the original recipe as close as I could.

Missed my target OG. Came in at 1.048. and added a half pound of honey malt instead of a quarter accidentally; not sure how much this influenced the final product as it is not overly sweet.

The bitterness is right where I think it should be but the aroma could be better. Nice on first sniff but dissipates really quickly. I did not do the keg hop just the 2 stage dry hop the primary.

Also used RO water with the simple measurements (and thanks for those I skipped most of my chemistry class in high school...if only I'd known). Will try some of the other additions next round I think. The mouth feel isn't exactly where I want it, not super thin but could be a little heavier or thicker. Not sure if those salt additions will help.

Color seems pretty tight on. Did a comparison to trillium Congress and it's in the ballpark.

Thanks again B-fessor!

View attachment 1476652748315.jpg

Does anyone do a Juicy tasting IPA like these that are clear or nearly so? Just curious cuz I read that most of these Brewers don't bother even trying to clear them, but I'm wondering what would happen if they did. Would they loose the juice? Now I like the look of some of these beers too but I mostly like my beer to be clean and clear. Just askin, not trying to stir anything up...

Does anyone do a Juicy tasting IPA like these that are clear or nearly so? Just curious cuz I read that most of these Brewers don't bother even trying to clear them, but I'm wondering what would happen if they did. Would they loose the juice? Now I like the look of some of these beers too but I mostly like my beer to be clean and clear. Just askin, not trying to stir anything up...

I think with this "style" you want the haze because it is the hop oils in suspension along with some proteins that keep it there. If you clarify the proteins in the normal ways, you likely end up removing some of the hop oils. That said, I have had a few decent juicy hop bombs that were crystal clear. Not sure if it is harder to make that happen or not, but I just brew to the "style". The quotes are because this is not currently an official "style", but it SHOULD be! Cheers!

I think with this "style" you want the haze because it is the hop oils in suspension along with some proteins that keep it there. If you clarify the proteins in the normal ways, you likely end up removing some of the hop oils. That said, I have had a few decent juicy hop bombs that were crystal clear. Not sure if it is harder to make that happen or not, but I just brew to the "style". The quotes are because this is not currently an official "style", but it SHOULD be! Cheers!

That's the thing... I hear arguments that say it's shoddily brewed beer and all but the samples I have tried have been very tasty. So if cloudy is the only way to get the taste, why all the disagreement. I do prefer clear beers but I like Juicy tasty beers even more....

I brewed the HopHands clone from river wards and fined it with gelatin. Seemed to be the same either way (to me).

I've had the OP recipe on tap for a couple weeks now without fining. Quite tasty though I ran out of honey malt and crystal 40 was the closest thing I had. Turned out a touch darker than expected so I will try honey malt or maybe GNO next time.

I het huge mango and peach from it (50:50 Citra:Mosaic and Conan).

Meant to add ... I think the haziness adds to the perception of mouthfeel. Sort of in the way a lot of non beer people think Guinness is a super thick beer. We taste with our eyes first right?

Has anyone used equinox hops in this beer?

My last batch was citra/galaxy/equinox. Tasted good and was a hit at a party. Some people say they get green pepper from it, I didn't detect it. I used equal hop amounts for all additions. Going to give azacca hops another go today. Used them in a single hop beer and did not get much of anything from them. Going to blend them with citra and Columbus and see what I get. Anyone had any luck with Azacca combined with anything?

My version of this is citra/mosaic/azacca and it's tremendous. I can't say for sure how much the azacca contributes to it, but i'm not going to change anything.

My last batch was citra/galaxy/equinox. Tasted good and was a hit at a party. Some people say they get green pepper from it, I didn't detect it. I used equal hop amounts for all additions. Going to give azacca hops another go today. Used them in a single hop beer and did not get much of anything from them. Going to blend them with citra and Columbus and see what I get. Anyone had any luck with Azacca combined with anything?

I threw Azacca in a IIPA with Capypso and Mosaic. Not sure how much of the aroma was from the Azacca though. Most of what I've read about it says it's mostly a let down in terms of flavor and aroma. I might try a 3gal batch with a neutral bittering charge and then 4oz of Azacca spread out over the last 10 minutes.

Anyone had any luck with Azacca combined with anything?

I used some in my version of this recipe with Citra/Mosaic/Conan. Beer was great but when I went to dry hop, the reopened bag of Azacca smelled way oniony. I was very disappointed and decided not to risk it, so I only dry hopped with Citra & Mosaic. Really not sure what happened because I vacuum sealed and froze the hops like I do every other time. Never had that issue before or since.

Thinking of maybe doing Azacca/citra/Columbus in the kettle and then Azacca/citra/mosiac for the dry hop. Heard good things about these Azacca hops but they were way underwhelming by themselves. Have a pound to use up though.

I just finished kegging my batch. First closed CO2 transfer was a success. Surprisingly I came right in at 1.012 and the sample tasted wonderful, seriously tasted like a mimosa! Can't wait till Friday!

Been a long time since I had Hop Ranch. Might need to revisit that one. Had Founders Azacca IPA recently thought it was pretty decent.

Me tooooooo! Tried to brew the Two Hearted clone and my yeast harvested from Oberon bottles never took off. Ended up pitching some harvested 1318 from my last batch of Hop Hands clone. I moved the bittering addition to 45 min and plan to do a 2 oz dry hop

I'm pretty sure Oberon (wheat beer) is not the same yeast as two hearted. Try the amber for yeast harvesting.

I've read a significant portion pf the 1700+ posts on this thread and haven't seen this addressed...

What is the reigning thinking on finishing this beer? I have 10G in primary right now. I was going to transfer to dry hopping kegs at about day 12. Let it sit on the second dry hops for 4-6 days, cold crash for 3-4, and then transfer to serving keg.

I assume no one is doing any gel fining in secondary, right? I do this with beers I'm looking to drop real clear, but this isn't in that category :)>)

I've read a significant portion pf the 1700+ posts on this thread and haven't seen this addressed...

What is the reigning thinking on finishing this beer? I have 10G in primary right now. I was going to transfer to dry hopping kegs at about day 12. Let it sit on the second dry hops for 4-6 days, cold crash for 3-4, and then transfer to serving keg.

I assume no one is doing any gel fining in secondary, right? I do this with beers I'm looking to drop real clear, but this isn't in that category :)>)

I usually have a cake of hop pellets on top of the beer when it is at room temp unless I let it sit many many days. So, I usually chill it down to 30s F and wait until the hops drop down to the bottom, takes 1-3 days or something like that. then, you can rack.

I don't bother cold crash these at all. I dry hop in primary, very much limit any and all oxygen exposure. No fining agents, just let the beer be what it is.

I find I really transfer very clean beer to serving keg from dry hop keg (double filter on the dip tube in the dry hop keg and 1/2 inch cut off the dip tube) .....no hops, trub, yeast with only 2 days and no cold crash. Everyone's system varies for that though - so you have to do what your system calls for. I am a proponent of transferring beer with as little hops, trub and yeast as possible.

Seems your description would put beer in the serving keg around day 21 or so. Nothing wrong with that (who knows, might even be better - I have not tried it.) However, I am generally putting beer in serving keg at day 12-14 and drinking it by Day 15-18 or so.

I don't generally fine this beer - but I have used gelatin a time or two out of curiosity. Still hazy.... even with gelatin. Like I said though, my versions of this tend to be like a beer with a very heavy protein haze that dissipates to something similar to a chill haze over the life of the keg.

In an attempt to reduce the chance of oxidation, I'm thinking of eliminating one dry hop addition and taking that addition and adding it to the zero min addition or the WP addition.

I'm not 100% set on the specific hops. Previous versions include Amarillo/Chinook/Simcoe and the orig hops posted by the OP.
Would like to include Galaxy at some point, not necessarily in this batch.

Thoughts?

Here's what I come up with:
41.8% 2 Row
41.8% GP
8.4% Flaked Oats
4% Flaked Barley
2% White Wheat
2% Honey Malt

.65 oz CTZ FWH (36.79 IBU)
.81 oz Simcoe @ 0
1.35 oz Citra @ 0
1.08 oz Amarillo @ 0
.54 oz each Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo WP for 30 min @ 160
.81 oz Citra DH 5 days
.54 oz Amarillo DH 5 days
.27 oz Simcoe DH 5 days

In an attempt to reduce the chance of oxidation, I'm thinking of eliminating one dry hop addition and taking that addition and adding it to the zero min addition or the WP addition.

I'm not 100% set on the specific hops. Previous versions include Amarillo/Chinook/Simcoe and the orig hops posted by the OP.
Would like to include Galaxy at some point, not necessarily in this batch.

Thoughts?

Here's what I come up with:
41.8% 2 Row
41.8% GP
8.4% Flaked Oats
4% Flaked Barley
2% White Wheat
2% Honey Malt

.65 oz CTZ FWH (36.79 IBU)
.81 oz Simcoe @ 0
1.35 oz Citra @ 0
1.08 oz Amarillo @ 0
.54 oz each Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo WP for 30 min @ 160
.81 oz Citra DH 5 days
.54 oz Amarillo DH 5 days
.27 oz Simcoe DH 5 days

I would personally bump up the white wheat content. I used 35.7% in mine and 3.6% Flaked Wheat and 3.6% Flaked Oats. Not too sure if anyone else has or not but I love the mouth feel I got

In addition to bumping up the wheat, the hops are waaaay too low in my opinion. I've been using 12-16 ounces per 5 gallon batch for these.

Latest posts

Back