New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally brewed and kegged this fantastic beer. I followed everything as close as I could and it is hands down the best beer I've ever brewed, and probably top 10 beers I've ever tasted.

Thanks Braufessor for all your help and sharing this recipe, it has taken my brewing to the next level.
I also brewed a session version with Nelson and Amarillo that'll be kegged soon. Also planning a Double Galaxy based on this.

My mind has been blown that I can make this at home.

image.jpg

I finally brewed and kegged this fantastic beer. I followed everything as close as I could and it is hands down the best beer I've ever brewed, and probably top 10 beers I've ever tasted.

Thanks Braufessor for all your help and sharing this recipe, it has taken my brewing to the next level.
I also brewed a session version with Nelson and Amarillo that'll be kegged soon. Also planning a Double Galaxy based on this.

My mind has been blown that I can make this at home.

Looks fantastic thanks for sharing for those considering this recipe. Could you post what differences your recipe had and what you used?

I followed everything from the grist, hops, water chemistry, method of transfer between kegs, everything as close as I could.
I made a second batch with all Citra and an ESB yeast that'll be ready in a few days. I'll keep posting my variations here.

Brewing my variation of this today. Currently I'm bringing it up to the boil. I'm using 1332 Northwest Ale yeast as my LHBS was out of the DIPA yeast (Conan) they usually have. First time trying this chloride:sulfate ratio.

Edit: Bumped up the grain bill a bit and hit 1.060. I deleted the flaked barley and doubled up on flaked oats. Increased bittering charge a bit as well to compensate for gravity. Might dry hop with 8 oz vs. 6 oz. Looking forward to it!

In case anyone is interested - this is the blonde ale I make:
OG = 1.042

45% 2 row
45% golden promise
2.5% each of Wheat, honey malt, cara 20 and flaked barley

Hops = 1oz. of liberty at 30 minutes, 1 oz. liberty at 5 minutes
OT, but curious what fermentation temperature profile younuse for this beer? Same as you use for the IPA recipe? I'm planning to do a cream ale I've made in the past with US05 but using Conan to harvest a few jars for use down the road. Wasn't sure if it would be worth keeping fermentation on the cool side to keep the yeast profile in the beer cleaner?

OT, but curious what fermentation temperature profile younuse for this beer? Same as you use for the IPA recipe? I'm planning to do a cream ale I've made in the past with US05 but using Conan to harvest a few jars for use down the road. Wasn't sure if it would be worth keeping fermentation on the cool side to keep the yeast profile in the beer cleaner?

Yeah - same thing..... start it in the low 60's and let it rise to 66-68 range. Maybe 68-70 to finish.

I am not saying someone could not do it.... but, personally, I have not had success with this kind of beer, using hops like Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, etc.

I recently tried to brew a low abv 1.042 APA that was a scaled down version of this recipe. Used Centennial and Cascade. I was hoping for a NE version of sort of a sierra nevada/two hearted hybrid. 2 ounce additions instead of 3 ounce additions...... It ended up coming across dry. Not "bad" - but edging toward a touch harsh and dry.

I think the big tropical hops seem to work best..... Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe, some of the australian and New Zealand varieties... Ahtanum maybe???

I like low cohumulone for littering - almost always use Warrior, and only to about 30 IBU's for the battering addition.

I have some Azacca coming this week that I am anxious to try out in this recipe.... never used it, but looks intriguing.

I second this for the cascade/centennial becoming a meld of snpa and two hearted.

I also have limited hops here. For mine I was thinking: Magnum for bittering, Amarillo and Citra whirlpool at 140*F. Dryhop with Amarillo and Citra.

Does anyone have experience with Summit and how to get tangerine without the garlic/onion?

I think that's a taste-bud thing. Some people don't get the garlic/onion (like me) and some do. You might be predisposed towards it.

But I am nowhere near sure.

I don't mind the flavor, but in this style of beer I'd rather that component not come out. I've had some summit beers that you get a small hint of garlic/onion, but a huge tangerine. I wonder if there is a certain process or grams per gallon to achieve that. Such as different whirlpool temps, first wort hop only, dry hop only.... etc.

I don't mind the flavor, but in this style of beer I'd rather that component not come out. I've had some summit beers that you get a small hint of garlic/onion, but a huge tangerine. I wonder if there is a certain process or grams per gallon to achieve that. Such as different whirlpool temps, first wort hop only, dry hop only.... etc.

For an attempted pliny-like thing, I used 3oz of Summit at FWH. The final beer had quite the tangerine flavor despite the fact that there were no other boil hops. Whirlpool was 1.5 oz Amarillo, 2.5 oz Centennial, 1 oz Columbus, and 3 oz Simcoe. Dry hop was similar. The resulting beer was crazy tangerine-forward, and I kind of assumed that the Summit had something to do with it since I don't associate those flavors with Amarillo, Centennial, or Simcoe. Haven't verified that theory since.

For an attempted pliny-like thing, I used 3oz of Summit at FWH. The final beer had quite the tangerine flavor despite the fact that there were no other boil hops. Whirlpool was 1.5 oz Amarillo, 2.5 oz Centennial, 1 oz Columbus, and 3 oz Simcoe. Dry hop was similar. The resulting beer was crazy tangerine-forward, and I kind of assumed that the Summit had something to do with it since I don't associate those flavors with Amarillo, Centennial, or Simcoe. Haven't verified that theory since.

How many oz. per gallon did you FWH with?

How many oz. per gallon did you FWH with?

3oz for 6.25 gal of ending kettle. I forget what the starting boil volume was, but it was pretty high gravity. Lots of trub, lots of hop material in the whirlpool/dry hop.

The onion/garlic characteristics are a product of the hop grower not the Brewer. I think it can be minimized by avoiding long boil contact however.

Kegged my batch last night. I had it in the dry hop keg for 3 days and did a closed transfer to the serving keg. The transfer was a bit slow. I think the dip tube got a little clogged. I pushed the liquid post down a few times and that seemed to loosen things up.

There was about 0.5 gal of sludge left in the keg after transfer. I think the batch ended up around 4 gal into the serving keg.

The aroma was out of this world. I can't wait to try it. I have it on 30 psi right now. I'll back it down to 8 psi tonight and leave it there for a few more days.

20160403_223120.jpg

20160403_225728.jpg

20160403_231422.jpg

Kegged my batch last night. I had it in the dry hop keg for 3 days and did a closed transfer to the serving keg. The transfer was a bit slow. I think the dip tube got a little clogged. I pushed the liquid post down a few times and that seemed to loosen things up.

There was about 0.5 gal of sludge left in the keg after transfer. I think the batch ended up around 4 gal into the serving keg.

The aroma was out of this world. I can't wait to try it. I have it on 30 psi right now. I'll back it down to 8 psi tonight and leave it there for a few more days.

Yeah..... I generally end up with about 5 full gallons in the dry hop keg, but 4.5 gallons into the serving keg. Seems a small price to pay though:)

After a particularly disastrous transfer a couple weeks ago, I cut about an inch off of my dip tube in my dry hop keg..... figured I was leaving that much behind any way - the last transfer was really smooth with the slightly shorter dip tube.

Hope it tastes as good as you thought it smelled:mug:

Oh - I also put my dry hop keg and Co2 tank up on my chest freezer, with the serving keg on the floor for the transfer..... Figure that gives it Co2 pressure plus the help of gravity in moving the beer.

I personally get orange-citrus from Amarillo, myself.

Could be. I just hadn't ever had it come across tangerine-like before.

Either way, the comment that the onion aroma of some hops is likely down to the grower is probably the most helpful to the poster above.

Summit produces tangerine, onion and garlic.

I've never had anything but citrus and orange from Amarillo.

I'd say brew some small batch beers with different methods of hopping and see where you get it. I do notice certain hops need to hit a threshold to throw "off flavors" like that though.

Latest batch..... Simcoe/Amarillo/centennial..... gotta say it is ok, but a bit disappointed. Centennial always seems to leave my beers a bit harsh and dry. It is fine, but not what I hoped. I think if I did it again, I would use an ounce of each in the kettle, in the hop stand an in the first dry hop. But, in the second dry hop I would go 1.5 each of simcoe and amarillo and skip the centennial. Maybe even skip it in both dry hops.

IMG_0618.JPG

Latest batch..... Simcoe/Amarillo/centennial..... gotta say it is ok, but a bit disappointed. Centennial always seems to leave my beers a bit harsh and dry. It is fine, but not what I hoped. I think if I did it again, I would use an ounce of each in the kettle, in the hop stand an in the first dry hop. But, in the second dry hop I would go 1.5 each of simcoe and amarillo and skip the centennial. Maybe even skip it in both dry hops.

Looks good. What grain bill did you use on this one?

Looks good. What grain bill did you use on this one?

oh.... actually, I did do something different for a change. I use all Pearl malt for the base portion (normally 50/50 rah 2 row and golden promise). Can't say I am blown away with anything being better about it from the malt perspective. Not enough to justify the cost of 100% pearl malt base. I have a Citra/Columbus in the fermenter right now that is 50/50 rahr and pearl for the base. #2 dry hop on that in a couple days.

Otherwise, this one was exactly the same as the original posted recipe.

Interested to hear your Citra/Columbus experiment.

I see you 12 days primary, 3 day secondary, how long in the keg till the flavor peaks?

My hoppy IPAs peak around week 6, I don't drink them sooner than that.

Interested to hear your Citra/Columbus experiment.

I see you 12 days primary, 3 day secondary, how long in the keg till the flavor peaks?

My hoppy IPAs peak around week 6, I don't drink them sooner than that.

Mine never see 6 weeks...... I will have to brew a couple the same day and try to leave one sit longer than usual. 4-5 weeks seems to be at the peak for me.

oh.... actually, I did do something different for a change. I use all Pearl malt for the base portion (normally 50/50 rah 2 row and golden promise). Can't say I am blown away with anything being better about it from the malt perspective. Not enough to justify the cost of 100% pearl malt base. I have a Citra/Columbus in the fermenter right now that is 50/50 rahr and pearl for the base. #2 dry hop on that in a couple days.

Otherwise, this one was exactly the same as the original posted recipe.

I did a citra/columbus/mosaic IPA recently, right around this ball park of gravity. Just one dry hop, not 2. I felt that the columbus totally overwhelmed the citra and mosaic. It wasn't a lot different than a 100% columbus beer I had done. It was good, but I felt like I wasted the more $$$ hops.

I could see that..... I went 2:1 Citra:Columbus. I will try it before I do the second dry hop and if it seems way to much columbus, I will likely ditch the columbus from the final dry hop if necessary.

So the past few days I've given this beer out to a lot of people, a mix of coworkers, my wife's coworkers, and some guys/gals I met for the first time on Sunday for an event my wife was having. Everyone loved it. From the beer geek to a casual beer drinker, they all were very impressed. One girl said, "I thought home brew was supposed to suck, this is fantastic!"

I brewed a pretty small batch of 2.5 gallons. All that is left is enough to present to my homebrew club and a local competition. Time to brew up 5 gallons.

What are thoughts on using WY1968? Conan isn't available at my LHBS. I can pick up 1318, but I've already got some 2nd Gen 1968 on hand.

I brewed a pretty small batch of 2.5 gallons. All that is left is enough to present to my homebrew club and a local competition. Time to brew up 5 gallons.

Ha.... for sure. I can't keep 5 gallons around - no way 2.5 is going to last long. I bet I brew Three 5 gallon batches of this a month and still can't keep it on tap. My friends demolished a keg of it this last weekend - gotta get it back on the brew schedule this weekend:drunk:

What are thoughts on using WY1968? Conan isn't available at my LHBS. I can pick up 1318, but I've already got some 2nd Gen 1968 on hand.

I used this with this recipe but using all Citra. It's cold crashing now ready to transfer and carbonate.

I think it will make a good beer, although, maybe a different beer to some extent. The yeast should flock out more. I would not be surprised if you ended up with a bit higher FG. But, I have brewed session IPA's with 1968 before and like them. I have not brewed this exact recipe with 1968, but, I would not hesitate to give it a try.

I think it will make a good beer, although, maybe a different beer to some extent. The yeast should flock out more. I would not be surprised if you ended up with a bit higher FG. But, I have brewed session IPA's with 1968 before and like them. I have not brewed this exact recipe with 1968, but, I would not hesitate to give it a try.

I was planning to up the OG just a little bit anyway. I've got a perfect amount of Mosaic and Citra on hand, and just enough 1968 left for a batch. I've only got Magnum on hand for bittering, no Warrior.

I actually just made a GP/Mosaic SMASH with 1968 last month, right a 1.060, and it was delicious, one of the best beers I've ever made. So this will be a great play off of that....but I like the looks of this even more.

I've never messed with the water, have just used my city tap. But will try it with RO from grocery with the additions you mentioned. I do BIAB, but can't see how that would matter.

I find 1968 a little to clean, but still makes a good beer. I am probably in the minority, but I like what s04 does for these beers. Maybe it is just my palatte and I like a lot of esters.

Braufessor, what's your method of forced carbonation of these? I'm typically doing 25 psi for two days then backing it off to 10 psi or so for another couple, but am guessing if this is about right the whole time. I'll be bottling my 4.8% Nelson/1318 and the 5.8% Citra/ESB beers on Thursday in time for my homebrew club meeting and they're both carbing up now.
Our club challenge this month is session beers under 5%, so we'll see if this can be scaled down a bit and still work.

Any tips for quick forced carbonation?

I'm am fairly new to all grain. About 10 batches under my belt. My question is if I bump up the grain bill to make it a DIPA. Do I have to bump up the hops as well?

I'm am fairly new to all grain. About 10 batches under my belt. My question is if I bump up the grain bill to make it a DIPA. Do I have to bump up the hops as well?

I put together a recipe based on this and used 7% corn sugar and upped the bittering hops a bit. The other grains were bumped up accordingly but the percentages remained the same of the total grain bill. It hasn't been brewed yet but was planning on it this weekend if all goes well. My IBU of the bittering went from 29 to 48 IBU, just from the bittering hops. We'll see how it turns out.

Back