New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, LJvermonster!

I will say I didn't get much dank from the Citra which is a little upsetting. In commercial beers I get some dank quality from Citra. There is lots of hops flavor though!

I'm looking for a super dank hop without onion/garlic aromas. Anyone?

I'm starting to plan a future brew that would be my first all grain (BIAB) and first "New England" style IPA. How does this recipe look?

wIJ0c2V.png

Grain bill and resulting color OK? IBU OK? Should I use citra instead of mosaic? Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Apollo! dankest hop I've smelled yet, I've used it in my last two beers as both a bittering and flavor edition. When I cut the bag open, I ordered 4oz from farmhouse, it literally smelled like dank weed. Super high aa at 18+% so it's great to bitter but also lends a nice grapefruity dankness when used really late like at 5 min or whirlpool.

Brau, so I'm setting up my water for another beer like this using 1318 for the first time. So using all RO water and Bru'n water my adjusted profile looks like this what do ya think, I'm gonna try the high chloride again with the 1318 and see what happens.

Cal-113
Mg-0
Na-0
Sulfate- 74
Chloride-147
Bicarbonate- (-34)
Hardness-284
Mash pH- 5.3
OG- 1.068
FG- 1.014

So a 2:1 chloride to sulfate ratio. Good to go with this or would you add anything? Is the calcium to high? If so how would I lower it.

I'm starting to plan a future brew that would be my first all grain (BIAB) and first "New England" style IPA. How does this recipe look?

wIJ0c2V.png

Grain bill and resulting color OK? IBU OK? Should I use citra instead of mosaic? Any advice is welcome, thanks.

What are you hoping to get from a 120F whirlpool?

Brau, so I'm setting up my water for another beer like this using 1318 for the first time. So using all RO water and Bru'n water my adjusted profile looks like this what do ya think, I'm gonna try the high chloride again with the 1318 and see what happens.

Cal-113
Mg-0
Na-0
Sulfate- 74
Chloride-147
Bicarbonate- (-34)
Hardness-284
Mash pH- 5.3
OG- 1.068
FG- 1.014

So a 2:1 chloride to sulfate ratio. Good to go with this or would you add anything? Is the calcium to high? If so how would I lower it.

Easiest way to knock the Calcium down a little is to use a bit of Canning Salt to get some of your chloride (I like the Na it adds too) and add a bit of epsom salt in place of gypsum. This will also add a bit of Mg that is good for yeast health. Both of these get you your sulfate and chloride without adding Calcium. I don't know that the high calcium would be "bad". I think it is higher than you need. Might also cause yeast to Floc out more??

Your overall chloride and sulfate look good.
I like to be in the high 5.3's to low 5.4's for mash pH and Kettle pH (pre boil) of a bout 5.4-5.45.

wIJ0c2V.png

looks good to me. 5 is about the perfect color in my opinion. I tend to go lower gravity with more hops. However, I think your recipe looks good. Brew it and then change to suit your preferences in the future.

looks good to me. 5 is about the perfect color in my opinion. I tend to go lower gravity with more hops. However, I think your recipe looks good. Brew it and then change to suit your preferences in the future.

Glad to hear 5 is a good color, I thought 7 was more the target.

Keep in mind that is a 3 gallon batch. So more than 2.5 grams of hops per gallon? Not that I'm surprised, I have no real frame of reference.

Easiest way to knock the Calcium down a little is to use a bit of Canning Salt to get some of your chloride (I like the Na it adds too) and add a bit of epsom salt in place of gypsum. This will also add a bit of Mg that is good for yeast health. Both of these get you your sulfate and chloride without adding Calcium. I don't know that the high calcium would be "bad". I think it is higher than you need. Might also cause yeast to Floc out more??

Your overall chloride and sulfate look good.
I like to be in the high 5.3's to low 5.4's for mash pH and Kettle pH (pre boil) of a bout 5.4-5.45.

Where do you get canning salt and Epsom salt? Will the lhbs have it? So the canning salt will knock down the calcium while adding sodium and then I can reduce the gypsum and add a touch of Epsom salt to reduce the calcium as well. Oh the fun with water chemistry.

Glad to hear 5 is a good color, I thought 7 was more the target.

Keep in mind that is a 3 gallon batch. So more than 2.5 grams of hops per gallon? Not that I'm surprised, I have no real frame of reference.

Sorry - did not notice it was 3 gallons.... good to go on the hops. As far as color.... so much of that has to do with the lighting. These two pictures are the same beer. Different light. Personally, I really like the color coming in around 5 - always looks great. Also like to avoid caramel/crystal malts as much as possible.

12828548_1019675218088957_2395902212820340120_o.jpg

12794787_1019687641421048_1900073137817751292_o.jpg

Where do you get canning salt and Epsom salt? Will the lhbs have it? So the canning salt will knock down the calcium while adding sodium and then I can reduce the gypsum and add a touch of Epsom salt to reduce the calcium as well. Oh the fun with water chemistry.

Just get them at Walmart or grocery store. Make sure to use a water calculator...... we are really talking about small amounts.

I think typically I am using approximately the following per 5 gallons:

3-3.5 grams CaCl
1 Gram Gypsum
.5 gram Canning Salt
.5 gram Epsom Salt.

(also getting a bit from my 20% tap water that goes with 80% RO Water).

Just get them at Walmart or grocery store. Make sure to use a water calculator...... we are really talking about small amounts.

3-3.5 grams CaCl
1 Gram Gypsum
.5 gram Canning Salt
.5 gram Epsom Salt.

I use Bru'n water if that's what you mean by water calculator. Using all RO water my amounts are def more than what you have listed. In this next batch to get 146 for chloride I need to add 6 grams to the mash so I'm sure your tap water is helping add minerals for you. Thanks for the info.

I wasn't a fan of Apollo. I'm looking for some comet myself. Smelled some dried cones at Sierra Nevada and I definitely want to get some from a good supplier. I love hop Union for quality but no one here seems to carry them:/

I wasn't a fan of Apollo. I'm looking for some comet myself. Smelled some dried cones at Sierra Nevada and I definitely want to get some from a good supplier. I love hop Union for quality but no one here seems to carry them:/

Yakima Valley Hops has them in stock

Apollo! dankest hop I've smelled yet, I've used it in my last two beers as both a bittering and flavor edition. When I cut the bag open, I ordered 4oz from farmhouse, it literally smelled like dank weed. Super high aa at 18+% so it's great to bitter but also lends a nice grapefruity dankness when used really late like at 5 min or whirlpool.

Any onion/garlic aromas and flavors?

Any onion/garlic aromas and flavors?

Not that I could pull out. More like just a dankness that hangs out in the back, I use lots of citrusy hops like Amarillo, Galaxy, mosaic so those seem to dominate but that's what I'm going for. I hear summit really has that garlic/onion edge to it.

Any thoughts on a Simcoe/Citra combo in this beer? Never used those two hops together before but I've got a lot of both. Any preferred ratios to use them in or is 1:1 fine?

3-3.5 grams CaCl
1 Gram Gypsum
.5 gram Canning Salt
.5 gram Epsom Salt.

OK I went into Bru'n water and threw in some canning salt and Epsom salt additions. How does this look again using ALL RO water.

Cal- 80
Mag- 9.9
Sodium- 31.2
Sulfate- 76
Chloride- 162.8
Hardness- 241
Mash pH- 5.3

It amounts to:

Gypsum- .25 Gram/Gal
Epsom- .38
Can salt- .30
Cal Chloride- .90
Lactic Acid- .19 mL/Gal

So how does this look now I can give you the actual mash and sparge additions but thought that's be overkill LOL.

OK I went into Bru'n water and threw in some canning salt and Epsom salt additions. How does this look again using ALL RO water.

Cal- 80
Mag- 9.9
Sodium- 31.2
Sulfate- 76
Chloride- 162.8
Hardness- 241
Mash pH- 5.3

It amounts to:

Gypsum- .25 Gram/Gal
Epsom- .38
Can salt- .30
Cal Chloride- .90
Lactic Acid- .19 mL/Gal

So how does this look now I can give you the actual mash and sparge additions but thought that's be overkill LOL.

Hmmmmm...... when I plug those Grams/Gallon into B'run Water with 100% RO water, I get:
Cal- 105
Mag- 9.9
Sodium- 39
Sulfate- 103
Chloride- 204
Hardness- 304
Mash pH- 5.3

In the ballpark of what I do, A bit higher on Sulfate and Chloride...... Not sure why there is a difference????

I use about that for gypsum..... but, I am a bit less on salt, epsom and CaCl.

Again - not sure why your B'run water is giving you different numbers than mine is??

Any thoughts on a Simcoe/Citra combo in this beer? Never used those two hops together before but I've got a lot of both. Any preferred ratios to use them in or is 1:1 fine?

Have not done it - but, I would think it would be good. I would go 1:1 the first time I brewed it and then maybe adjust one way or another in follow up batches to see what you prefer.

Hmmmmm...... when I plug those Grams/Gallon into B'run Water with 100% RO water, I get:
Cal- 105
Mag- 9.9
Sodium- 39
Sulfate- 103
Chloride- 204
Hardness- 304
Mash pH- 5.3

In the ballpark of what I do, A bit higher on Sulfate and Chloride...... Not sure why there is a difference????

I use about that for gypsum..... but, I am a bit less on salt, epsom and CaCl.

Again - not sure why your B'run water is giving you different numbers than mine is??

Weird. I'll double check that when I get home. If anything I'll just lower the salt, Epsom and chloride. I'd like to get it around the original numbers that I posted basically a 2:1 chloride to sulfate ratio.

Actually... I get closer to 130 on calcium now that I look at it.

I have B'run Water Version 3.4 from April of 2015.

I am going in these ranges (if I was using 100% RO)

CaCle = .6-7 gr/gallon
Gypsum = .2-.3 gr/gallon
Epsom = .1 gr/gallon
Salt = .1 gr/gallon

.2ml lactic looks about right. Maybe a touch less even would be fine

None of these numbers are "that" different than yours...... So, I don't think anything you are looking at is totally out of line and at a certain point, fussing over 10 or 20ppm is probably of little or no significance.

CaCle = .6-7 gr/gallon
Gypsum = .2-.3 gr/gallon
Epsom = .1 gr/gallon
Salt = .1 gr/gallon

None of these numbers are "that" different than yours...... So, I don't think anything you are looking at is totally out of line and at a certain point, fussing over 10 or 20ppm is probably of little or no significance.

That's prob the version I have, I just got into water chemistry late 2015. Thanks for posting the numbers and looking into this.

Lots of talk on this thread about hops and yeast (as it should be) but I have some malt bill questions that I haven't seen discussed. (May have missed them?) I'm brewing a very similar recipe this weekend. (I hope) I'm wondering what your strategy is for using two base grains in a 50/50 combo? I was planning to use all MO. My beer will be even more of a session brew than yours as I'm shooting for OG 1.050 and FG 1.014 with a lesser attenuating yeast. (Dennys 50) I wanted the MO and the higher FG to ensure enough malty backbone to cover up the low ABV.

My other question regards color. In Nate from Treehouse's Hoppy Thing recipe he says to shoot for SRM 7 - glowing orange. I see you are much lighter at 4. My current recipe is 6.25, but just wondering if you see an advantage to keeping it lighter? I could easily make an adjustment to get down to about 5.

Thanks for all your contributions to this topic. I'm planning to be in Decorah in June, so maybe we could meet up and I could buy you a beer at TG. Maybe even swap some homebrew?

My strategy is simply a combination of wanting a more complex malt..... but, it costs a somewhat significant bit more..... So, I just go with the 50/50 blend. For sure all maris otter, or all golden promise, or pearl would be great too. I am actually planning on brewing a few with 100% GP or 100% pearl.

Let me know what you think about using Denny's.... I have used it a couple times, but not so much in this beer. I think it would be a yeast that would potentially work very well in a beer like this.

No.... not a huge difference I don't think. There night be a touch more sweetness from some of the caramel malt for color.... but not like you are talking much. I have simply transitioned to primarily brewing with low amounts of caramel malts. But, I have brewed a few that are more in that 6-8 range.... glowing orange. It is a cool looking beer and tastes great. A touch more caramel might be beneficial as you move toward lower OG's.

For sure. If I am around, I would definitely try to meet for a beer - just let me know.

Well, I finally got around to brewing my version of this yesterday. If the color in the pic below is any indication, I will be very happy! I plan to name this brew Sunny D-Lite! Just slightly undershot my OG at 1.048. Also had an unusual situation with the Denny's 50. When I took the yeast out of the fridge, it had already started to swell a bit. Anything to be concerned about? I smacked it and it swelled up as much as the package would allow by the time I was ready to pitch. No unusual odor when I cut it open. However, for maybe the first time since I started brewing , there was still no activity in the carboy when I left for work this morning, about 14 hours after pitching. On my way home now, so we'll see what it looks like in about an hour.

Hmm... having trouble with the pic. I'll uplaod later.

Well, I finally got around to brewing my version of this yesterday. If the color in the pic below is any indication, I will be very happy! I plan to name this brew Sunny D-Lite! Just slightly undershot my OG at 1.048. Also had an unusual situation with the Denny's 50. When I took the yeast out of the fridge, it had already started to swell a bit. Anything to be concerned about? I smacked it and it swelled up as much as the package would allow by the time I was ready to pitch. No unusual odor when I cut it open. However, for maybe the first time since I started brewing , there was still no activity in the carboy when I left for work this morning, about 14 hours after pitching. On my way home now, so we'll see what it looks like in about an hour.

Hmm... having trouble with the pic. I'll uplaod later.

I would not worry about the swelling at all...... I notice that 1056 packs almost always swell up on me. Never a problem.

Originally Posted by TheHopfather

I just used an ounce each Citra & Simcoe as dry-hops for an IPA. It's awesome, a very good combo. I am not sure about the boil, as far as ratios go, though.

One of my fav combinations. Both high aa hops so u can use sparingly. I've tried simcoe at 15 min to pull more of the pine, grapefruit, resinous out of it and then hit the citra at 10 then an ounce ea at 5 for the flavor then Ill throw 2 oz ea into a hopstand and also dry hop with 2oz ea. citra has all the topical fruit while I feel the simcoe lends a nice smooth piney, citrus grapefruit aspect. They blend well together and since they're both high aa I don't feel like one will over power the other.

Brau,

Would you mind posting the ppm for each of the salts if you were to use 100% RO water? It would help me tremendously. Below is what I used for my first batch, but the Ph ended up being too low.

Ca: 90 ppm
Mg: 7.8 ppm
Na: 26.0 ppm
S04: 74 ppm
Cl: 128 ppm
Bicarb: 69 ppm

Also, I've found that if I use Canning salt to get the sodium numbers up, I seem to overshoot on the Cl. Therefore I used baking soda to get sodium, and this also adds bicarbonate. Is there a reason you prefer canning salt to baking soda?

The additions I use are:
CaS04: 0.30 gram/gal
MgS04: 0.30 gram/gal
NaHC03: 0.36 gram/gal
CaCl: 1.00 gram/gal

Would you recommend changing any of these numbers?

Thanks for all the help!
John

CaCle = .6-7 gr/gallon
Gypsum = .2-.3 gr/gallon
Epsom = .1 gr/gallon
Salt = .1 gr/gallon

Brau,

Would you mind posting the ppm for each of the salts if you were to use 100% RO water? It would help me tremendously. Below is what I used for my first batch, but the Ph ended up being too low.

Ca: 90 ppm
Mg: 7.8 ppm
Na: 26.0 ppm
S04: 74 ppm
Cl: 128 ppm
Bicarb: 69 ppm

Also, I've found that if I use Canning salt to get the sodium numbers up, I seem to overshoot on the Cl. Therefore I used baking soda to get sodium, and this also adds bicarbonate. Is there a reason you prefer canning salt to baking soda?

The additions I use are:
CaS04: 0.30 gram/gal
MgS04: 0.30 gram/gal
NaHC03: 0.36 gram/gal
CaCl: 1.00 gram/gal

Would you recommend changing any of these numbers?

Thanks for all the help!
John

Not a popular opinion around here, but fussing with minor changes to your salt additions is not going to make or break this beer. In fact, it will make almost no perceptible difference. You're going to get plenty of minerals from the malt once the grain has been mashed - including chloride, sulfate, magnesium, potassium, etc.

All you really need to do for this beer is to start with a Cl- : SO42- ratio of about 2:1, aiming for about 150ppm chloride. With RO water and relatively small additions of calcium salts, you'll probably be right around pH 5.4...so I don't get the need for extra alkalinity. Add it after you're first pH reading if you're too low. Conversely, add some lactic if you're too high.

Concentrate on technique and keeping oxygen to a minimum after fermentation, and you'll have a great beer.

Not a popular opinion around here, but fussing with minor changes to your salt additions is not going to make or break this beer. In fact, it will make almost no perceptible difference. You're going to get plenty of minerals from the malt once the grain has been mashed - including chloride, sulfate, magnesium, potassium, etc.

All you really need to do for this beer is to start with a Cl- : SO42- ratio of about 2:1, aiming for about 150ppm chloride. With RO water and relatively small additions of calcium salts, you'll probably be right around pH 5.4...so I don't get the need for extra alkalinity. Add it after you're first pH reading if you're too low. Conversely, add some lactic if you're too high.

Concentrate on technique and keeping oxygen to a minimum after fermentation, and you'll have a great beer.

It is popular with me - I agree. 2:1, 150ish Chloride level, pH 5.4

Don't purposely add baking soda and then come back and cancel it out with acid. Leave the baking soda out all together unless you need it to fix pH..... which I would doubt you would.:mug:

Back