New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been 4 or 5 years since I brewed this recipe, what is the latest version? Or group consensus recipe?

I went back 8 or 9 pages and didn’t see anything.
I've settled on:
OG 1.065-1.070
All 2 Row base or a mix of 2 Row and Pilsner 70%. (Had good luck with Mecca and Rahr for 2 Row, and I love Weyermann Pils for all things Pilsner.)
White Wheat 25%
German Carafoam 5%

No boil hops until the very end. Say last 5 min of boil. I often do a 3 min addition 3-5oz. Then WP for 20 min 170-185F max - again 3-5oz. 6-8oz DH, but soft crash out yeast first at 50F for 24-58 hours, DH 24-48 hours, then package with as little exposure to oxygen as possible. I've had great luck with adding a little ascorbic acid into the keg before racking. If you're able to do a closed transfer, purge keg filled with Star San, then transfer.

Hopping rates depend on OG and what you're looking for for bitterness. I've lowered my calculated IBUs from nearly 65-70 down to 35, and I like the end product much better. Southern Hemisphere hops are usually more tropical but pack a much more bittering punch. Tend to be harsh if boiled or dry hopped with yeast present.

I’ll take a stab at what this thread thinks is a good go to recipe, someone put these in the wiki! This is for 6 gallons into the fermenter, 5 gallons into keg.

OG 1.070 FG 1.015
All 2 Row or Pilsner for lighter color.
White Wheat 10% (honorable mention for spelt)
Malted oats 15-20%
+/- Carafoam 5%

+/- bittering addition 10ibus
5min CTZ 1 oz
WP for 20 min 170-185F 4oz (citra/mosaic).

LA3 strain of your choice. (Honorable mention Imperial A24)

9-12oz DH (t90 equivalents, use some concentrated pellets) after terminal and soft crash out yeast to 58F. Off hops in 1-2 days. Favorites are Citra and Nelson but lots of other great options.

Water Ca 80-100. Cl 200. SO4 you pick (40-200).

Of course there are lots of other good opinions on here just trying to capture the majority.

Some of my preferences and tips: Oats up to 30%, short boils for lighter color, Sodium at 50-60. Post boil adjust to pH 5.0 (usually 5-6 ml of lactic acid for me).
DH bigger and colder (12-16 oz equivalent) off yeast and agitate a lot. Use kmeta in mash and DH.

Last edited:
Hey brewheads, what better to do than whip up a nice batch of NEIPA juice on the 4th. Happy Independence Day to all 🇺🇸

Attachments

• IMG_6696.jpeg
    IMG_6696.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Any one adding Campden tablets at time of packaging to minimize oxidation? It’sa method I’m seeing frequently, just wondering people are having success with it?

I think you mean ascorbic acid. Campden tablets are for removing chlorine from mash water.
No. I mean Campden..

I know of a member here who does it and it’s popped up in a few places online. Potassium metabisulfite is an oxygen scavenger. Just not sure how much to use… 1/2 tab / 5 gal send to be the number so far

Any one adding Campden tablets at time of packaging to minimize oxidation? It’sa method I’m seeing frequently, just wondering people are having success with it?
I crush a campden tablet between 2 spoons and combine 70% that powder to my final dry hop dose (which I then CO2 purge in my dry hopper before dropping the hops+powder into the fementer). It may be overkill but along with my other precautions I've been mostly avoiding oxidation issues. I read somewhere that about 0.7 of a tablet is the ideal amount for a 5 gallon batch. I did try a full tablet once and sensed a bit of sulfur note. I also purge my kegs using the fermenter's CO2 output. Here's a pic of my last batch featuring Azacca, Citra, and Nelson hops that is going down well in this warm weather!

hazy0623.jpg

I crush a campden tablet between 2 spoons and combine 70% that powder to my final dry hop dose (which I then CO2 purge in my dry hopper before dropping the hops+powder into the fementer). It may be overkill but along with my other precautions I've been mostly avoiding oxidation issues. I read somewhere that about 0.7 of a tablet is the ideal amount for a 5 gallon batch. I did try a full tablet once and sensed a bit of sulfur note. I also purge my kegs using the fermenter's CO2 output. Here's a pic of my last batch featuring Azacca, Citra, and Nelson hops that is going down well in this warm weather!

View attachment 824091
Excellent info! Thank you.

The other number I read was .2-.3 g / 5 gallon batch. You ever picked up sulfur at the .7 dose you’re using?

No. I mean Campden..

I know of a member here who does it and it’s popped up in a few places online. Potassium metabisulfite is an oxygen scavenger. Just not sure how much to use… 1/2 tab / 5 gal send to be the number so far
I don’t use it as my process is pretty sound but I know Some people swear by it. Can’t hurt to add it. Don’t use it as a crutch though and get sloppy, make sure your anti o2 process is spot on

I don’t use it as my process is pretty sound but I know Some people swear by it. Can’t hurt to add it. Don’t use it as a crutch though and get sloppy, make sure your anti o2 process is spot on
Yeah 100% agree. If I was kegging this, I might not do it, but we’re canning it and while the filler has the purge function, I just want to take this extra precaution. The beer was dry hopped in the sealed, purged hop doser and all other precautions have been taken. Just want to add this one

No. I mean Campden..

I've had great luck with ascorbic acid. 1 tsp per 5 gallons in the keg. BUT, as @Dgallo said, sound process is better. I did a closed transfer last week, and I'm kicking myself at not investing in this practice sooner.

Sorry if I came off rudely, but I had never heard of the campden method. Ascorbic acid comes up all the time when researching O2 scavenging.

I've had great luck with ascorbic acid. 1 tsp per 5 gallons in the keg. BUT, as @Dgallo said, sound process is better. I did a closed transfer last week, and I'm kicking myself at not investing in this practice sooner.

Sorry if I came off rudely, but I had never heard of the campden method. Ascorbic acid comes up all the time when researching O2 scavenging.
No worries, you didn’t come off rude. I had read about ascorbic acid as well but there was something I came across with that where if you didn’t pair it with something, it had a negative result. I don’t remember what that particular issue was now, but it pushed me to Campden instead. However, there were 2 sides to that also - some said they had issues, some didn’t.

I don't pick up sulfur notes at 0.7 dose. The number you read would be about 1/2 a tablet which seems like a good way to go.
Found the calculation for ppm I was looking for.

10ppm in 36 gal would be 1.36g of Campden. 12ppm would be 1.63g.
The .2g / 5 gal would equate to 1.44g.
So I might go 1.44 and start with that.

No worries, you didn’t come off rude. I had read about ascorbic acid as well but there was something I came across with that where if you didn’t pair it with something, it had a negative result. I don’t remember what that particular issue was now, but it pushed me to Campden instead. However, there were 2 sides to that also - some said they had issues, some didn’t.
I think it's sulfur dioxide. I've only ever used ascorbic acid alone, so can't vouch one way or the other.

Might want to check this out: Vitamin C - The Game Changer? (Yet another rabbit hole lol.)

Yes, some say that ascorbic acid on its own can have a super oxidizer effect and must be paired with sodium metabisulfate. Others say it doesn't make a difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hoping to get a brew in this weekend and going with Mosaic and Columbus (Trillium Melcher St). Think I'm going to go with 3oz Columbus and 7oz Mosaic dry hop. I want the Columbus to pop in it but not sure if 3oz is too much Columbus as I've never dry hopped with it before. Would these rates be suitable to go with?

Looking around online at a few recipes and 8oz Mosaic and 2oz Columbus seems to be the preferred amounts but not sure if the Columbus would be too subtle. Ive both hops in t90 and lupomax. Any advice on this would be appreciated. It will be a 5g batch and aiming for around 6.5% abv.

Hoping to get a brew in this weekend and going with Mosaic and Columbus (Trillium Melcher St). Think I'm going to go with 3oz Columbus and 7oz Mosaic dry hop. I want the Columbus to pop in it but not sure if 3oz is too much Columbus as I've never dry hopped with it before. Would these rates be suitable to go with?

Looking around online at a few recipes and 8oz Mosaic and 2oz Columbus seems to be the preferred amounts but not sure if the Columbus would be too subtle. Ive both hops in t90 and lupomax. Any advice on this would be appreciated. It will be a 5g batch and aiming for around 6.5% abv.
Have you brewed the Melcher St. recipe as is before? If not, I would consider maybe not changing anything. I've had such good results with that recipe including two medals for a Citra version (40/50) and Mosaic version (39/50). Also great results with Vic Secret and HBC 586.

Not to say you can't improve it by bumping up the hops, but the baseline could be helpful. You get such a depth of flavor from the Columbus.

Edit: this is the one I've brewed: American IPA - Trilium Melcher Street Clone I realize its someone's best guess but my point is its a great recipe.

Have you brewed the Melcher St. recipe as is before? If not, I would consider maybe not changing anything. I've had such good results with that recipe including two medals for a Citra version (40/50) and Mosaic version (39/50). Also great results with Vic Secret and HBC 586.

Not to say you can't improve it by bumping up the hops, but the baseline could be helpful. You get such a depth of flavor from the Columbus.

Edit: this is the one I've brewed: American IPA - Trilium Melcher Street Clone I realize its someone's best guess but my point is its a great recipe.
I haven't brewed or even tried it before. We can't get Trillium over here but I had a beer last year with that hop combination and loved it. I thought the Columbus was stunning in it which is why I was leaning more towards a slightly heavier Columbus amount.

I'm not brewing a clone of it as I'm going with my base recipe but was looking at the thread you posted along with this one

Trillium DDH Melcher Street Clone

Ratios are roughly the same in both so maybe for the first attempt at this I should stick with what people have had success with and work from there.

I haven't brewed or even tried it before. We can't get Trillium over here but I had a beer last year with that hop combination and loved it. I thought the Columbus was stunning in it which is why I was leaning more towards a slightly heavier Columbus amount.

I'm not brewing a clone of it as I'm going with my base recipe but was looking at the thread you posted along with this one

Trillium DDH Melcher Street Clone

Ratios are roughly the same in both so maybe for the first attempt at this I should stick with what people have had success with and work from there.
I really like Columbus but 30% feels really high in the DH for this style. Good Columbus can overwhelm other hops pretty quickly

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a small amount of ALDC Enzyme? Morebeer sells a 1 oz dropper, but that 1 oz is equivalent to 35 doses. The problem is that it has a 12 month shelf life and I only make about 4-5 batches of beer per year, so a good amount would be wasted.

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a small amount of ALDC Enzyme? Morebeer sells a 1 oz dropper, but that 1 oz is equivalent to 35 doses. The problem is that it has a 12 month shelf life and I only make about 4-5 batches of beer per year, so a good amount would be wasted.
I can’t imagine a company doing a smaller bottle than 1oz.

I can’t imagine a company doing a smaller bottle than 1oz.
Too bad. If that's the case, then I guess I won't be using it. Can't justify spending an extra $7.50 per batch for something that might not make a difference.

Too bad. If that's the case, then I guess I won't be using it. Can't justify spending an extra $7.50 per batch for something that might not make a difference.
Omega has a strain in trials that’s supposedly a London ale III variant that was given the ALDC gene in it so it will prevent the creations diacetyl

Omega has a strain in trials that’s supposedly a London ale III variant that was given the ALDC gene in it so it will prevent the creations diacetyl
Sadly, Omega informed me that they are not going to produce hombrew-sized pitches of the aldc-generating strains. Things could change of course.

Sadly, Omega informed me that they are not going to produce hombrew-sized pitches of the aldc-generating strains. Things could change of course.
We will see. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t, they already blew their balls on their Thiolized strains as very few pros will use it, and since there is very little negative with an ALDC strain I feel it would be silly joy to. Again I am a very optimistic homebrewer lol

We will see. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t, they already blew their balls on their Thiolized strains as very few pros will use it, and since there is very little negative with an ALDC strain I feel it would be silly joy to. Again I am a very optimistic homebrewer lol
I shouldn't say they aren't going to do it. this is what they said, so it's definitely possible:

"Currently, there are no plans to offer these strains in homebrew-sized pitches, but we are constantly listening to customer feedback, so those plans may change. "

Back