New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow..... that is really interesting. Beyond brewing NE IPA's like it is my job, my other two favorite areas to dabble are German Lagers (Dortmunder, Helles, Pilsner) and English Session ales like bitters and milds......

I have a beer engine....... I am now super curious about doing a NE IPA version of an EKG type ale..... Conan or 1318 are English yeasts ..... wheels are turning.:mug:

Haha, I have you, and everyone in this thread to thank for the base water/acid/mineral recipe. As well as how to maximize hoppyness with an easy dry hop and closed transfer method. Really, I read every, post, in this thread for inspiration.

In my opinion this thread is not only a great NE pale ale thread, It's a great thread for any hop forward beer.

My English golden ale started with RO water with 3G of gypsum, and 5g of cal cloride.

11lbs of Weyermann pils, 4lbs of Morris otter, and 3% acid malt.
45 min boil.
No hops till 10 min left
10 min: 1 ounce of chinook and ekg
Flame out: 4ounce ekg and 1 ounce of chinook.
Chill asap

Used us 05 funny enough!

Then I used 1 ounce of chinook and ekg for the dry hop, in a dry hop keg. In this beer I primed and dry hopped for 7 days before I cold crashed and closed transferred after 2 days cold. Then I closed transferred again after a week being cold to serve.

One more thing. I have done an IPA with only EKG and Marris otter. It was very tasty, a lot of orange marmalade, honey, and herby notes, with a earthy citrus finish.

Haha, I have you, and everyone in this thread to thank for the base water/acid/mineral recipe. As well as how to maximize hoppyness with an easy dry hop and closed transfer method. Really, I read every, post, in this thread for inspiration.

In my opinion this thread is not only a great NE pale ale thread, It's a great thread for any hop forward beer.

My English golden ale started with RO water with 3G of gypsum, and 5g of cal cloride.

11lbs of Weyermann pils, 4lbs of Morris otter, and 3% acid malt.
45 min boil.
No hops till 10 min left
10 min: 1 ounce of chinook and ekg
Flame out: 4ounce ekg and 1 ounce of chinook.
Chill asap

Used us 05 funny enough!

Then I used 1 ounce of chinook and ekg for the dry hop, in a dry hop keg. In this beer I primed and dry hopped for 7 days before I cold crashed and closed transferred after 2 days cold. Then I closed transferred again after a week being cold to serve.

One more thing. I have done an IPA with only EKG and Marris otter. It was very tasty, a lot of orange marmalade, honey, and herby notes, with a earthy citrus finish.

Thanks for the recipe ideas.... I was just coming back to ask you some details!

Awesome that you took info in this thread and applied it the way you did. That is a really interesting concept. I am definitely going to Try a version of this. I am envisioning a nice british session pale ale......

I am thinking something like ....

Golden Promise Base.....
In spite of Brulosophy Xbeeriment, I might go with 20% flaked grains/wheat
So, Maybe 80% Promise, 15% Flaked Oats/Barley, 5% Regular Wheat.

Hops all EKG.... All late like you did, dry hop in Primary. Might throw in a bit of a "compliment" hop like you did with the Chinook.... Have to think about that some more.

Debating on yeast at this point. Either 1318 or Conan I am thinking.

Same water strategy that you used.

I am going to put it in two 3 gallon kegs and prime it lightly in the keg and serve it off of my beer engine......

Kind of fired up to try this out.
:mug:

what's your favorite bitter recipe? i am craving a good bitter after our trip to England last summer!

I have always based my Bitters off of this recipe from Northern Brewer and always used 1469 yeast (1318 from time to time too).) I generally use all EKG in it though. It is suppose to be a Timothy Taylor Landlord type clone. It is a good, simple bitter. Regularly wins medals in comps I enter it in.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Innkeeper.pdf

Thanks for the recipe ideas.... I was just coming back to ask you some details!

Awesome that you took info in this thread and applied it the way you did. That is a really interesting concept. I am definitely going to Try a version of this. I am envisioning a nice british session pale ale......

I am thinking something like ....

Golden Promise Base.....
In spite of Brulosophy Xbeeriment, I might go with 20% flaked grains/wheat
So, Maybe 80% Promise, 15% Flaked Oats/Barley, 5% Regular Wheat.

Hops all EKG.... All late like you did, dry hop in Primary. Might throw in a bit of a "compliment" hop like you did with the Chinook.... Have to think about that some more.

Debating on yeast at this point. Either 1318 or Conan I am thinking.

Same water strategy that you used.

I am going to put it in two 3 gallon kegs and prime it lightly in the keg and serve it off of my beer engine......

Kind of fired up to try this out.
:mug:

Glad you are fired up, and happy to give back!

The hop combo I used: mostly EKG with some chinook was nfluenced from this ancient home brew talk thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=140192

I know, it like 8 years old...

If you scroll down a bit. A guy who won the GABF with a 48 point (crazy unheard of high score lol) English IPA posted his recipe and later goes on saying that water was a big contributor to his success.

I basically took his hop combo, and NE Pale aled it (new verb?) with info from this thread, and all of the AJ Delange/Martin Brungard Info that I could absorb.

I was going for a more "toasty" "grainy" malt profile, and didn't want any strong malty or caramels flavors.

Have you used 1469 in a NEIPA? That's my next project.

I have not..... I almost went with that for this English version, but, just put a 1318 in the cart.... it will be here Wednesday. Brewing this on Friday.

One thing I will say about 1469 from using it in bitters.... watch the temps.... I liked to start it at 65-68 for a couple days and let it go to 70-72, but not over that. It can get weird when it gets warm in my opinion.... spicy, belgiany kind of stuff.

Glad you are fired up, and happy to give back!

The hop combo I used: mostly EKG with some chinook was nfluenced from this ancient home brew talk thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=140192

I know, it like 8 years old...

If you scroll down a bit. A guy who won the GABF with a 48 point (crazy unheard of high score lol) English IPA posted his recipe and later goes on saying that water was a big contributor to his success.

The guy who posted that recipe has the most insane home brewery ..... When I saw his name, I recognized it from this thread (dream home brewery for sure): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=99310

I have not..... I almost went with that for this English version, but, just put a 1318 in the cart.... it will be here Wednesday. Brewing this on Friday.

One thing I will say about 1469 from using it in bitters.... watch the temps.... I liked to start it at 65-68 for a couple days and let it go to 70-72, but not over that. It can get weird when it gets warm in my opinion.... spicy, belgiany kind of stuff.

Same thing with 1318. My latest NEIPA came out a little off because I let the temps get away from me. 1318 at 74F is no good.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/11/21/the-impact-of-flaked-oats-on-new-england-ipa-exbeeriment-results/

Interesting read...... Further supports what I have thought about the "hazy" factor of these beers..... It is NOT from yeast or flaked grains - but rather from interaction of dry hopping in primary, water chemistry, (and I still think) pH.

I do like that he had started out dismissing these types of beers, but remained open minded enough to play around with them.... eventually discovering that they can be quite good.

Just tapped a Golden Promise/Citra SMaSH NEIPA. High chloride:sulfate ratio, 1.06 OG, wlp007, 154 degF

.75 oz Citra @ 60 min
1.0 oz Citra @ 10 min
1.0 oz Citra @ 5 min
2.0 oz Citra Whirlpool for 30 min
1.0 oz Citra Prefermentation Dry Hop
2.0 oz Citra Dry Hop after 4 days
3.0 oz Citra Dry Hop after 8 days
cold crash for 3 days

Very happy with how it turned out, but I "feel" like it lacks the smooth mouthfeel as high flaked % beer. As photo shows it is still very hazy, but unlike the times I brewed the recipe in this thread, I can actually see the shadow of my fingers holding the glass.

1123161244.jpg

What did your final gravity end at? I mashed at ~155 on my last batch and used 007, ended about 1.018.

Just tapped a Golden Promise/Citra SMaSH NEIPA. High chloride:sulfate ratio, 1.06 OG, wlp007, 154 degF

.75 oz Citra @ 60 min
1.0 oz Citra @ 10 min
1.0 oz Citra @ 5 min
2.0 oz Citra Whirlpool for 30 min
1.0 oz Citra Prefermentation Dry Hop
2.0 oz Citra Dry Hop after 4 days
3.0 oz Citra Dry Hop after 8 days
cold crash for 3 days

Very happy with how it turned out, but I "feel" like it lacks the smooth mouthfeel as high flaked % beer. As photo shows it is still very hazy, but unlike the times I brewed the recipe in this thread, I can actually see the shadow of my fingers holding the glass.

A fellow central Iowa brewer! Looks good! I'm tapping a NE IPA today and I used WLP007 as well. Going into the keg, I had a ton of haze. I was at 1.010 on Day 6 so I'm thinking my mouthfeel will be a little thin but the color was very nice.

Curious if anyone has tried the original base recipe with Carapils or Carafoam instead of (or in addition to) oats. I've been jumping back and forth between this thread and the Treehouse Julius thread for a couple weeks, and seems like there is more consistent use of Carapils or foam in the grain bills posted over there.

I've made about 6 batches based closely on the original recipe here, and all are excellent. I've had friends do blind tastings against a few different Treehouse beers, and mine nearly stand up in flavor and aroma. But as I was drinking my most recent batch side-by-side with a Green recently, the mouthfeel is still quite different. There is a silkiness to the Treehouse beers that I'm not getting very close to yet.

Combining that with the recent Brulosophy xbeeriment, I'm wondering if very light crystal malts in larger than normal quantities could contribute.

I just brewed the following grain bill recently, based on a post in the Julius thread. Kegged on Monday - will post back with results in a day or two.

10 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 66.7%
2 lb American - White Wheat 40 2.8 13.3%
2 lb German - CaraFoam 37 1.8 13.3%
1 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 6.7%

Curious if anyone has tried the original base recipe with Carapils or Carafoam instead of (or in addition to) oats. I've been jumping back and forth between this thread and the Treehouse Julius thread for a couple weeks, and seems like there is more consistent use of Carapils or foam in the grain bills posted over there.

I've made about 6 batches based closely on the original recipe here, and all are excellent. I've had friends do blind tastings against a few different Treehouse beers, and mine nearly stand up in flavor and aroma. But as I was drinking my most recent batch side-by-side with a Green recently, the mouthfeel is still quite different. There is a silkiness to the Treehouse beers that I'm not getting very close to yet.

Combining that with the recent Brulosophy xbeeriment, I'm wondering if very light crystal malts in larger than normal quantities could contribute.

I just brewed the following grain bill recently, based on a post in the Julius thread. Kegged on Monday - will post back with results in a day or two.

10 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 66.7%
2 lb American - White Wheat 40 2.8 13.3%
2 lb German - CaraFoam 37 1.8 13.3%
1 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 6.7%

Very timely post for me. I have been thinking similar things to you. Based upon some IPAs I have been drinking that have carapils and crystal malt in them, I would say they have more body than any of the 20% flaked oats NE IPAs I have brewed. I have two I am tasting side by side now.

My next NE IPA will be 80% base (probably Golden Promise), 10% crystal 10L and 10% carapils. I think it is going to have more body than my oats versions; I hope so at least. It's just a refinement though really, the oats with basemalt version is really great too.

From some of his posts, OP is from NE Iowa, so he is able to get a constant flow of Toppling Goliath and pulpit rock, @Braufessor - you able to get some of that double dry hopped psuedo-sue that was announced today? I went up last monday for the first time on a whim and was able to get some king sue, vanilla/cinnamon term oil, and saftig.

Brewing a Citra/Galaxy/Topaz version Saturday - didn't have enough galaxy in my fridge to do a full version and the homebrewstore was out of galaxy... they recommended topaz as a sub

32.2% golden promise
32.2% rahr pale malt
25.3% flaked oats
6.9% crystal 15
3.4% carapils

wyeast 1318

From some of his posts, OP is from NE Iowa, so he is able to get a constant flow of Toppling Goliath and pulpit rock, @Braufessor - you able to get some of that double dry hopped psuedo-sue that was announced today? I went up last monday for the first time on a whim and was able to get some king sue, vanilla/cinnamon term oil, and saftig.

Brewing a Citra/Galaxy/Topaz version Saturday - didn't have enough galaxy in my fridge to do a full version and the homebrewstore was out of galaxy... they recommended topaz as a sub

32.2% golden promise
32.2% rahr pale malt
25.3% flaked oats
6.9% crystal 15
3.4% carapils

wyeast 1318

Ha.... that is a sad state of affairs when someone from central iowa has to tell me about DDH Sue:) Been super busy and had not seen that, so glad you mentioned it - will be in Decorah to get some on Friday for sure. I actually like DDH Sue more than King Sue.... all the hops, less of the alcohol. Drink more:mug:

But, yes..... I do have a constant flow of Pulpit and TG:) 10 minutes and I am at either place. Pulpit Rock has been putting out some great stuff.... I am a big fan of Saftig. Loopy Lynn and some of their other DIPA's have been great as well.

Just had a bomber of Pompeii and a bomber of Sue tonight as a matter of fact. Got some King Sue, Sosus and Hop Smack in the fridge as well.

Ha.... that is a sad state of affairs when someone from central iowa has to tell me about DDH Sue:) Been super busy and had not seen that, so glad you mentioned it - will be in Decorah to get some on Friday for sure. I actually like DDH Sue more than King Sue.... all the hops, less of the alcohol. Drink more:mug:

But, yes..... I do have a constant flow of Pulpit and TG:) 10 minutes and I am at either place. Pulpit Rock has been putting out some great stuff.... I am a big fan of Saftig. Loopy Lynn and some of their other DIPA's have been great as well.

Just had a bomber of Pompeii and a bomber of Sue tonight as a matter of fact. Got some King Sue, Sosus and Hop Smack in the fridge as well.
My son and I stopped at TGB last month when I went out for a visit. The pint of Sosus I had was simply incredible. Unfortunately they didn't have any bottles of it available.

Very timely post for me. I have been thinking similar things to you. Based upon some IPAs I have been drinking that have carapils and crystal malt in them, I would say they have more body than any of the 20% flaked oats NE IPAs I have brewed. I have two I am tasting side by side now.

My next NE IPA will be 80% base (probably Golden Promise), 10% crystal 10L and 10% carapils. I think it is going to have more body than my oats versions; I hope so at least. It's just a refinement though really, the oats with basemalt version is really great too.

My next NE style is going to have 10% Carapils, also 15% Flaked and 2% Honey Malt. I've been going as high as 30% with flaked and 5% Carapils, and while it is good, I still want more mouthfeel. A softer, rounder, thickness to it. I think 10% Carapils maybe more will help get that. Great thing about Carapils is it doesn't add flavor or color. I'm really thinking this idea of higher Carapils might be on to something.

My next NE style is going to have 10% Carapils, also 15% Flaked and 2% Honey Malt. I've been going as high as 30% with flaked and 5% Carapils, and while it is good, I still want more mouthfeel. A softer, rounder, thickness to it. I think 10% Carapils maybe more will help get that. Great thing about Carapils is it doesn't add flavor or color. I'm really thinking this idea of higher Carapils might be on to something.

I've noticed that a lot of the "classic" brewers use a lot of carapils and wheat malt in a lot beers. i think the wheat malt is maybe a red herring, but they were onto something with the carapils. the trick is to get the full mouthfeel without the caramely flavors (or too much) so i think the low lovibond caramel may be good. It may be possible to just add more and more carapils though too. lots of room for experimentation here. my beers always seem to taste so dry, so i'm not afraid to load in more crystal or carapils. a friend says i have coined a new beer, the DRY-PA. ha ha.

I've been addicted to these NE IPAs though since starting to brew them. I love them so much. It's mostly what I want to brew now, along with some rich dark beers and a few lagers!

I've noticed that a lot of the "classic" brewers use a lot of carapils and wheat malt in a lot beers. i think the wheat malt is maybe a red herring, but they were onto something with the carapils. the trick is to get the full mouthfeel without the caramely flavors (or too much) so i think the low lovibond caramel may be good. It may be possible to just add more and more carapils though too. lots of room for experimentation here. my beers always seem to taste so dry, so i'm not afraid to load in more crystal or carapils. a friend says i have coined a new beer, the DRY-PA. ha ha.

I've been addicted to these NE IPAs though since starting to brew them. I love them so much. It's mostly what I want to brew now, along with some rich dark beers and a few lagers!

Dry PA lol..... What are your final gravities?

Dry PA lol..... What are your final gravities?

Actually, you won't be impressed. The vast mash-temperature-industrial complex purports that low mash temps are needed for dry beer. I say BS! My latest NE IPA was a single infusion at 165F, yes, 165F for 1 hr. The OG was 1.059 and the FG 1.017, for ~71% AA. I am a firm believer that if you ferment out the simple sugars in a wort, the beer will taste dry. In addition, gypsum additions are much more important than FG (provided the simple sugars have been eaten.)

My beers tend to taste pretty dry though. I almost think it is easier to produce a dry beer with higher mash temps, as the yeast have fewer sugars that they have to eat for a given OG. Call me crazy.

I try to mash high so that I can reduce the alcohol level while keeping more of the malt flavor in the beer. I can produce 5% alcohol beers from 1.060 beers with this method, which is great for me and doesn't seem to result in any sweetness whatsoever.

Actually, you won't be impressed. The vast mash-temperature-industrial complex purports that low mash temps are needed for dry beer. I say BS! My latest NE IPA was a single infusion at 165F, yes, 165F for 1 hr. The OG was 1.059 and the FG 1.017, for ~71% AA. I am a firm believer that if you ferment out the simple sugars in a wort, the beer will taste dry. In addition, gypsum additions are much more important than FG (provided the simple sugars have been eaten.)

My beers tend to taste pretty dry though. I almost think it is easier to produce a dry beer with higher mash temps, as the yeast have fewer sugars that they have to eat for a given OG. Call me crazy.

I try to mash high so that I can reduce the alcohol level while keeping more of the malt flavor in the beer. I can produce 5% alcohol beers from 1.060 beers with this method, which is great for me and doesn't seem to result in any sweetness whatsoever.

The late, great Stone Levitation Ale purportedly had a remarkably high mash temp & short duration. IMHO, for a small IPA it had great body with a very nimble & crisp finish. I'd pay good money for a tutorial on their technique

Taking my first go at this style. Thanks Brau and others who have contributed to this thread! For the grist, went with the updated version on post #1418, but for water chemistry kept the higher chloride profile from the OP. Local HBS did not have 1318 or conan, so went with Imperial Yeast "A24 - Dryhop". Anybody have experience with this yeast in this style?

I am at day 5, light krausen, has dropped from 1.065 to 1.020. Hydro sample tastes really good. Using CMG combo in equal amounts for each of the four additions. Excited to get this into the keg!! -Cheers

Taking my first go at this style. Thanks Brau and others who have contributed to this thread! For the grist, went with the updated version on post #1418, but for water chemistry kept the higher chloride profile from the OP. Local HBS did not have 1318 or conan, so went with Imperial Yeast "A24 - Dryhop". Anybody have experience with this yeast in this style?

I am at day 5, light krausen, has dropped from 1.065 to 1.020. Hydro sample tastes really good. Using CMG combo in equal amounts for each of the four additions. Excited to get this into the keg!! -Cheers

Just picked up this very yeast today and will be brewing a session-able style NEIPA on Monday using all Citra and adding zero bittering hops. 4.16%

I've been using this thread as a basic guideline and have landed on Cl and SO4 both around 120 to 140 to be my sweet spot with the .25 honey malt with around 30% flaked grains mostly with Conan, but I wanted to ask with it being that time of year I've been seeing hop hash for sale, anyone ever use it and would it work good in a beer like this?

I have brewed 4-5 versions of this recipe with slight tweaks and now I have the base I like best:

6# GP
6# 2-row
1# white wheat
.75# Golden Naked Oats
.75# flaked barley
.5# flaked wheat

1318 yeast

Attached is my latest Citra Centennial IPA.
Thanks Braufessor for starting this thread. I never would have added Oats or golden promise.

IMG_4364.jpg

OK, I have a new iteration of my NE IPA,

80% pearl malt
10% carapils
5% crystal 10L
5% crystal 20L
150 ppm Cl and 15 ppm SO4
20 IBUs in kettle
all dry hops during day 3, today!

help me decide what to do for the dry hop!! I need to do it today so let me know if you have a strong opinion! I have 10 gallons, and I am doing half with the citra/mosaic/galaxy in equal parts. I don't know what to do with the other half. i was thinking 100% galaxy or 1:1 citra:galaxy or citra:simcoe:columbus with maybe 5:5:2 ratio. just want something new that will be danker but delicious. plan to add 12 oz to each of my batches.

80% pearl malt
10% carapils
5% crystal 10L
5% crystal 20L
20 IBUs in kettle

help me decide what to do for the dry hop!! I need to do it today so let me know if you have a strong opinion! I have 10 gallons, and I am doing half with the citra/mosaic/galaxy in equal parts. I don't know what to do with the other half. i was thinking 100% galaxy or 1:1 citra:galaxy or citra:simcoe:columbus with maybe 5:5:2 ratio. just want something new that will be danker but delicious. plan to add 12 oz to each of my batches.

In my experience galaxy doesn't dry-hop well. I would go 1:1 Citra/Mosaic or maybe Columbus if you have a really dank batch.

Drinking my 4th iteration of this beer right now.

I was inspired by a few Trillium beers I had, which I knew used Columbus. They have such an interesting earthy, herbal, dank quality that not only works with but enhances the tropical fruit flavors. To move in that direction, I basically subbed Galaxy for equal parts Simcoe/Columbus

So this time I went with Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus (2:2:1:1) for all four additions and bittered with Columbus. I think this is my favorite NEIPA I've made so far (if not tied with the original recipe), mostly peach & mango, a hint of melon and a little pine & earthy dank to balance things out. For what I was going for, I'm pretty damn happy with the results.

20160818_144046_zpsnrxqnadu.jpg

And for those interested, so far I've also brewed:
100% Citra (super delicious, just not as interesting as the original)
100% Nelson (not bad, but too much harsh earthiness. took a lot of mellowing out before it was really drinkinable - needs to paired with fruitier hops)

As for next time... I still really want to try 100% Mosaic and 100% Galaxy versions, if only to learn more about those hop profiles. But I think I want to continue down the dank & fruity road and try more combos with Columbus. I'm also curious about some varieties I haven't touched at all yet like Azacca, Apollo, Equinox, Galena and El Dorado.

just saw this post on citra-mosaic-simcoe-columbus. looks good to me. i might do 2 2 1 1 citra simcoe mosaic columbus though

80% pearl malt
10% carapils
5% crystal 10L
5% crystal 20L
20 IBUs in kettle

If you have not done it yet, I would recommend 1:1 Citra:Galaxy...... I just put a batch into serving keg and another of the same into dry hop keg. Love it.

If you have not done it yet, I would recommend 1:1 Citra:Galaxy...... I just put a batch into serving keg and another of the same into dry hop keg. Love it.

I had been thinking about that too. Maybe I'll try one of that and one with the citra-simcoe-mosaic-columbus or just citra-simcoe-columbus

I saw your suggestion just before brewing this beer for the 1st time, and it certainly didn't disappoint. I hadn't realized how much I like galaxy hops before this batch - it's definitely got a good dose of passion fruit going on in the nose that I love, which I assume is from the galaxy since I haven't noticed it citra-only hopped beers before.

On a side note, this didn't come out nearly as cloudy as I was expecting. Have you ever noticed any differences in appearance due to adjusting the Cl/SO4 ratio? I used RO water and targeted both to 120ppm for a 1:1 ratio. I'm guessing its gotta be either due to water chemistry or mash ph. I was targeting 5.4 mash pH, but it came in at 5.25. Also, I used WLP095 yeast, which seems like it may either be conan or another mystery IPA yeast sourced from somewhere in the northeast.

No complaints about the other aspects of the beer though - this may be my favorite beer I've brewed yet. But its definitely more of a hop haze similar to other APAs/IPAs I've made than the juice-like cloudiness I was expecting. I'll see if I can post a picture of it when I get home tonight.

I saw your suggestion just before brewing this beer for the 1st time, and it certainly didn't disappoint. I hadn't realized how much I like galaxy hops before this batch - it's definitely got a good dose of passion fruit going on in the nose that I love, which I assume is from the galaxy since I haven't noticed it citra-only hopped beers before.

On a side note, this didn't come out nearly as cloudy as I was expecting. Have you ever noticed any differences in appearance due to adjusting the Cl/SO4 ratio? I used RO water and targeted both to 120ppm for a 1:1 ratio. I'm guessing its gotta be either due to water chemistry or mash ph. I was targeting 5.4 mash pH, but it came in at 5.25. Also, I used WLP095 yeast, which seems like it may either be conan or another mystery IPA yeast sourced from somewhere in the northeast.

No complaints about the other aspects of the beer though - this may be my favorite beer I've brewed yet. But its definitely more of a hop haze similar to other APAs/IPAs I've made than the juice-like cloudiness I was expecting. I'll see if I can post a picture of it when I get home tonight.

WLP095 I think is Magic Hat's yeast. If you want the haze, go 1318 or Conan.

Back