Nooo My Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
I have been shadowed by the brewday blues. As I was pouring my 2 gallons of boiled water for an extract batch into my carboy the heat made the glass expand and that caused the bottom to pop off. I realise what I did wrong. I didnt have my coffee before brewing!!! Whenever I dont have coffee before I do something I F*ck it up. But I have a plastic bucket stored away somewhere so I'm boiling more water now.

On a side note, any time that Ive used malto dextrin its been in high gravity spiced beers. I'm wondering how it 8 oz would effect an IPA. say 8 pounds LME, 8 oz. caramel 40L and 1 oz nugget 13%, 2 oz. cascade5% and 1 oz goldings4% and a pack of Notty OG is 1.065 without malto dextrin and 1.069 with it. How much sweeter do you think this will get? I havent really played around with the stuff.

EDIT: I guess theres not really a sweetness scale but what I want to know is how will this benefit me with an IPA? will it throw the sweetness balance out of whack enough to notice a difference?

Sometimes I bump the sweetness but also bump up the bittering hops. Keeping the balance, just uping the intensity.

You guys are just hard on your carboys. Mine is a workhorse after 7 years, and still brewing!

Yea this Carboy has been a family fermenter for 14 years now passed down from my dad... like I said; anything I do before I drink coffee I F*ck up... that teamed up with my inexperience. OH and the boiling water from the broken carboy de-laminated my floor:ban:

Seem like there've been lots of threads on this theme lately, including a pretty badly cut arm. I have the two original 5 gal. carboys that came with my kit, plus two 5 gal. BBs, and only ferment in the plastic bucket. I've decided that the glass will only be used now for long-term secondaries (there's a Winter Ale down there now, taking a long nap), and it's Better Bottles all the way.

Back