noob with secondary/bottle carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I recently bottled up my third batch of beer, this time the Brewers Best American Cream Ale...(looked good). This was my first time using a secondary fermentation vessel, as I wanted to try that and, of course, get a clearer, cleaner beer since this was a relatively light ale. Everything seems to have gone smoothly, the beer smelled, tasted like flat beer and the FG was roughly where it should have been. but it has been 8 days since bottling, and the beers are still barely carbonated at all. So, my question is this: Does racking to secondary drop enough yeast out of the beer to slow carbonation? Can the low yeast count keep these beers from ever carbonating to a decent level (I used the package of priming sugar that came with the kit, BTW, and they have been sitting in the same room that fermentation occured in, so no temp flux)? My first two ales carbonated right up in a matter of days straight from primary. I'm just a bit worried, not to mention anxious to enjoy the fruits of my labor. thanks for your help/comments.

Relax. You would have to leave your beer in secondary for many, many weeks to lose that much yeast. And even then I am not sure that it wouldn't carbonate. Filtering is about the only way to remove too much of the yeast.
Leave the bottles alone for 3 weeks. As long as you added priming sugar when you bottled, everything will be just fine.

Relax. You would have to leave your beer in secondary for many, many weeks to lose that much yeast. And even then I am not sure that it wouldn't carbonate. Filtering is about the only way to remove too much of the yeast.
Leave the bottles alone for 3 weeks. As long as you added priming sugar when you bottled, everything will be just fine.

I will see his weeks and raise it to months and months before you lose too much yeast to carb. I've left beers in secondary for 6 months and had plenty of yeast to carb. Eight days is not enough time to carb anything properly. Three weeks at 70° is the standard time line to carbonate most beers.

Back