Noob question RE: aluminum, but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencerdhg

Reaction score
I'm set to start my first boil this weekend and my pot is a heavily used aluminum turkey fryer pot. Fried plenty of turkeys but most recently it has been used for shrimp boils. Am I good to go, or should I at least get a new aluminum pot? I say a new aluminum pot, because ivegot a gift card to home depot so I could buy a new turkey fryer for cheaper than a ss pot.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Clean it, sanitize it - good to go. If you have a gift card - buy stainless. You'll be thankful you did in the long run as it will have a more uniform temperature and it'll be better at maintaining the temps (which is important for partial extract steeping, and partial mash/AG mashing if you decide to do your mashes in the same pot).

I did the same thing...started with an aluminum turkey fryer. I have only done two batches so far with #3 planned for this weekend. I wanted to make sure that I enjoyed brewing before dropping the $ for a SS pot.

The bottom line is that the aluminum works just fine. Spend your money on the other basic equipment first. I will upgrade one day but it's a great place to start.

grease/oil and soap will ruin the head on your beer. aluminum is fine, but i wouldn't use a pot unless it is CLEAN.

...and it is better if you boil a full pot of water when you first buy the pot so you can build up a layer of oxidation inside the pot. don't scrub the oxidized layer off when you clean the pot. the oxidation helps keep aluminum from dissolving into you beer and hurting the yeast.

If you have a gift card - buy stainless.
BS! If this pot (or any other aluminum pot) is the right size and quality for your needs, you're good to go.

This is what I'd do.

Clean it really well with Scotch-Brite or some other abrasive pad to remove all the existing oxidation. Clean it up to bear metal. After that do a good long boil with water to introduce a new, clean layer.

It would be best if you dedicate it to brewing after this.

Working with aluminum is rather simple. I still use an aluminum pot. Just make sure to fill the pot almost to the top with water, and then boil said water for at least 30min, or until you get a nice dark grey oxidation layer on the inside of the pot. then rinse with water, and you're ready to use.

Sanitizing your boil pot is unnecessary. That would be like double sanitizing it. When you boil water you are already sanitizing it. Clean it well or buy a new one. I would just spend some time on cleaning it real well and spend your gift card on a kegerator!

I'm not sure investing in stainless is a BS suggestion, but I appreciate the tarring all the same...it's been awhile since someone called me out on a good idea...

But those of you who said no sanitizing...you are right...asleep at the wheel on that one... Been brewing and bottling for a couple days now - Iodophor on the brain.

Thanks for all of the responses! Like a poster said above, I want to make sure that I enjoy this hobby before I drop too much coin on it. (Although I'm pretty sure my love of beer will keep me in the game)

Fortunately I already have a kegerator and don't think that the jump to kegging will be too far off as long I'm enjoying this ride!

Back