Noob question 1: The Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZ2U

Reaction score
I have not brewed a batch yet…that’s how new I am to this. I am researching a lot right now while I gather my gear. I like the DIY aspect of just about any endeavor I undertake.

Question #1. Brew kettle. I was planning on making one from a sanke keg. Weldless fitting and false bottom, perhaps a sight glass but I am not sure why. Thinking of a thermometer built in as well.

Any problems with that?

Advice on the false bottom?

So, if I drain from a tube that enters the middle of the false bottom and then points down, how do I drain it fully?

As will become a theme…ad lib what you think I may have missed please.

Search "keggle" for basic cutting, drilling etc. Most use an angle grinder for cutting the top and a step bit for drilling holes. Bargain fittings.com is a popular source for bulkheads and valves.

To drain, your dip tube should protrude to the lowest point you want to drain from. This cam mean a 90 degree angle at the middle of the keg for minimum dead space. The dip tube works just like any other siphon.

Back