Noob on a partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueGoose85

Reaction score
I'm doing jamils dry stout, and realized I need to do a partial mash for the flaked barley. I did the research (thx to deathbrewer).

I'm just trying to understand the water calc. I'm using the following grains:

2lb flaked barley
1lb black roasted malt
2lb American 2 row

jamil is saying he uses a water/grist ratio of 1.5 quart/lb.

My grist is all 5 lbs, right? So I'm looking at 7.5 quarts/1.875 gallons of water?

And when my mash is sitting, is it off the heat? Or do I just use heat as necessary to maintain that 150-155F?

Looks like everything is correct. You only will need heat to maintain your mash temp. So a good insulated cooler should hold a temp fine for an hour. If you don't have a cooler then you will have to maintain it with extra heat...be careful with that o your temp doesn't get away from you.

Fantastic. And thank you for confirming that info.

I'm actually doing a stove top partial, so it looks like I'll just try my best to maintain that temp.

I'm pretty excited, it'll be a nice intro to what all grain is like.

RogueGoose85, What some people will do is heat their oven to 150F (mine will only go as low as 170F) and let it sit in the oven for the hour.

oh wow, so do everything i'd do on the stove, and then to maintain, toss in the oven. Thats a hell of an idea. Ill check my temp ranges.

thanks

So start your oven and let it get up to near 170 and turn it off. Check the temperature and when it gets near 150 you can put your mash in and it will take a long time to cool enough to worry about. Your oven is insulated and will take some time to cool and the mash has enough mass to take some time to cool too and between the two of them, an hour will go by and not a degree will be lost.

Ahh, good thinking. I'll test out my ovens heat retention today.

I'll post the results for the other partial mash first timers.

Held terribly. Old oven though. Im thinking about just throwing a probe thermometer in the grist, that reads outside of the oven and just adjust temp as necessary

Back