Noob from Myrtle Beach ,SC Needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KITILA

Reaction score
Let me make my intro quick

Hi,27, Male, Noob Brewer, Needs help

Got homebrew kit, followed the steps to a T. I think
didnt look at it for the first 2 days.

at the 3rd day, I looked and thats when i started worrying.
Beer has been fermenting for 7 days, but no foam. (only if i shake it, sounds liek frying pan builds up pressure too)

VERY DARK COlor ( Pale Ale )

Had to re-pitch the yeast, did like 3x too much (3Grams for 2.5gallons)

Room stays DARK and at 86 degrees, well above 70 for sure.

Do I need to talk dirty to the yeast to get some action from it, or isit working and it takes longer, Im so lost lol

Im a noob, and im experimenting, just wanted to see results.
So with all my mistakes named above, can I save this beer? Or pour it out and buy new ingredients.

Ok so the colour isnt much of an issue, you will be surprised how different it looks in the glass compared to a fermenter.
That amount of yeast is about right or perhaps slightly on the low side. No problem there.
The temperature however is to high, im assuming it is a typical ale yeast strain which prefer to be around 65°. There are a few ways to keep the temp down or you can pick a strain which prefers higher temps.

With the higher temp it has probably fermented out already, and is likely to have so off flavours to it. Could still be drinkable so once you are sure the gravity is stable bottle/ keg it.

Welcome.
Your beer is at 86 degrees ambient temp. So the beer itself is at least 90.....too hot!

At that temp. Fermentation may have been done in 2 days.
When you shake it your getting foam because it is releasing co2 from the liquid. Is there an airlock attached and if so is it clogged? That might be Your hissing sound, air may be escaping somewhere else.
I'm sure you are fine with the amount of yeast. What kind of yeast was it?
I wouldn't worry about the color. It is going to look much darker In a bucket/carboy than it will in a glass.
Do you have a hydrometer, and did you take any readings before pitching the yeast?
Can you post your recipe and possibly pictures of your fermentation vessle?

The temp definitely needs to be lower. But at this point, it'll need a week or so to allow the yeast to clean up the resulting off-flavors from the high heat. Higher heat allows fermentation by-products to produce higher PPM's of diacetyl,etc to the point where they can be smelled/tasted. After the yeast finish consuming the sugars, they'll go after the off-flavor producers.

Myrtle Beach is a warm place, in the future if you have an extra bathroom put the fermenter in a bathtub of cold water and put an old t shirt around it to where it's in the water. The cotton will soak up the water and cling to the fermenter and help keep it cool. Or at least cooler than your room air temps now. I've done it here in NC in dead summer and works well.

Like all the post above, high 80's is too much and you will probably have off flavor's. Still bottle or keg it and see if it's drinkable never throw out a beer until you know for sure. Chalk it up to a learning experience, we have all done it, just part of the game. Read through the forums, you will find lots of good info that might save you from a mistake in the future.

Welcome by the way!

I've even put wet tee shirts over the fermenter in a shallow pan of water with a small fan trained on it. This lowered the temp about 3 degrees. not perfect, but it worked. Also, another thing I do till I can spend some cash on temp control. I watch the extended weather forecast on the news for strings of days when the weather is going to be cooler. I brew & get it to fermenting on the first of those days. I imagined that this is how brewers of old did it?...

Wow quick response, I am definitely going to be active on this forum.

I have moved the fermenter into a dark closet, the room was warm because I read to keep it between 65-80. so i tossed a small heater in the room. But i have removed it. and put the fermenter in a much cooler room around 68.

my reciepe isnt much of one because, I was playing around, with out much expectation.

1. Wrong east (3 packs fast rise highly active)
2. 3 cups sugar, heard more sugar higher alcohol. (I Like the warm fuzzy feeling) Also 1 cup was Brown pure cane sugar, i guess I thought it might make it taste unique IDK. again I was playing.

3. Pale Ale Wort. heated up water, mixed in the wort added yeast and sugar and set it in too hih of a temp room.

my fermenter isnt fancy jsut a Mr.beer. thought I found a better fermenter but it won be here for another week.

So I should let it eat the sugars for another day or two? then bottle it? or just straight to bottling today?

Given the high temperatures and the addition of the sugar I would expect this one to be a very dry harsh beer. I would bottle it at about 10-14 days, put the bottles in a closet and forget about them for a couple of months. In the mean time buy a decent kit and start a new batch. Don't experiment. Read posts on this forum. Look at the online version of How to Brew by John Palmer. You will learn about temperature control and recipe creation/ alteration.

Have fun with your new obsession... we... Hobby.

Wow quick response, I am definitely going to be active on this forum.

I have moved the fermenter into a dark closet, the room was warm because I read to keep it between 65-80. so i tossed a small heater in the room. But i have removed it. and put the fermenter in a much cooler room around 68.

my reciepe isnt much of one because, I was playing around, with out much expectation.

1. Wrong east (3 packs fast rise highly active)
2. 3 cups sugar, heard more sugar higher alcohol. (I Like the warm fuzzy feeling) Also 1 cup was Brown pure cane sugar, i guess I thought it might make it taste unique IDK. again I was playing.

3. Pale Ale Wort. heated up water, mixed in the wort added yeast and sugar and set it in too hih of a temp room.

my fermenter isnt fancy jsut a Mr.beer. thought I found a better fermenter but it won be here for another week.

So I should let it eat the sugars for another day or two? then bottle it? or just straight to bottling today?

For someone just starting out your wort should contain all the sugars you need for fermentation. What's your recipe? Definitely read more seems like your just flying by the seat of your pants.

Yeh i like to wait at least 3 weeks before bottling, and longer for certain brews.
It sucks but what i do is keep on brewing, and eventually you have so much beer that you can easily wait 6-7 weeks before drinking them ( i leave in the bottle for at least 3 weeks too).

For temperature control i have a fridge with a stc 1000 temp controller wired into it, its a great peice of kit but i made good beer before i had it too.

Definitely read up on home brewing & improve your process. Start off with a good beer kit to get the hang of how a proper beer is constructed & brewed. You didn't mention any hops. Was the pale ale wort pre-hopped? And get a hydrometer if you don't have one. Take a gravity reading before adding the yeast, but after stirring the wort & top off water well. This will be your OG, or original gravity. After about 2 weeks, take another gravity reading to see how close it is to being done fermenting. This will be your FG, or final gravity. Wait until the 3rd day & test it again. If the numbers match, it's done. If not, it's still fermenting, so wait another 7 days or so to test again. After a stable FG is reached, give it another 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bulk priming & bottling.

Latest posts

Back