Noob all grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan

Reaction score
I have done 2 all grain batches, the first being a quite tasty Stout and the second an Amber Ale fermenting nicely but I have found that maybe I have been doing my mash wrong.

My method was to heat my strike water to my desired temperature then dump it into my cooler with a false bottom. Now I add my grain stirring it in so as to not create dough balls.

I have read here on HBT and other places that I should be adding the grain first to my mash tun then adding my strike water.

My initial thought is that I have been pretty happy with my results throughout my "extensive" all grain career so why mess with a good thing but I do wonder if there is any added benefit to the other option. Not sure if it matters but I have only done batch sparging. Am I missing out on truly sensational fermented creations by adding the strike water first?

Nope. You're doing it right. Strike water, then grain. I cant say that Ive ever heard of it being done the other way around and dont know why it would. Now, when you sparge, you add the water to the grains, but thats post-mash. Keep rockin the brews!!

Edit: It sounds like maybe you're confusing mashing and sparging?

Nope. You're doing it right. Strike water, then grain. I cant say that Ive ever heard of it being done the other way around and dont know why it would. Now, when you sparge, you add the water to the grains, but thats post-mash. Keep rockin the brews!!

Edit: It sounds like maybe you're confusing mashing and sparging?

I could be getting it confused because it didn't make much sense the other way but when in doubt ask, just not for driving directions.

Well, I think either works as long as you stir well to mix.
Me, I add some of the grainbill, add water and stir like it owes me money. Then add more grain, then more water, etc. until I've reached the limit of my 5G mashtun.
Works well on over 75 batches and counting.

I could be getting it confused because it didn't make much sense the other way but when in doubt ask, just not for driving directions.

That makes sense ☺. That's the beauty of this forum. There's literally no such thing as a stupid question. But just to clarify...

In order.
Heat strike water
Add strike water to mash tun then add grains. Mash for 60 mins (or desired time). Drain liquid (wort)to kettle
Then (batch) sparge. Heat water to 170+/-, add to grains. Stir a bit and add this liquid to kettle as well.
Boil
Chill
Add yeast
Keg/bottle
Impress friends with delicious beer

That makes sense [emoji5]. That's the beauty of this forum. There's literally no such thing as a stupid question. But just to clarify...

In order.
Heat strike water
Add strike water to mash tun then add grains. Mash for 60 mins (or desired time). Drain liquid (wort)to kettle
Then (batch) sparge. Heat water to 170+/-, add to grains. Stir a bit and add this liquid to kettle as well.
Boil
Chill
Add yeast
Keg/bottle
Impress friends with delicious beer

This sums it up nicely & concisely. All you need to do with the mash in is calculate your strike water temp to achieve your desired mash temp.
I also stir the mash 2-3 times during the mash to keep the temp as even as possible.

Back