Non refridgerated yeast cake viability?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Displaced MassHole

Reaction score
I've got 2 carboys full of a Fat Tire clone that I fermented with US-05 that are ready to be kegged. I want to be able to re-use the yeast cakes this saturday (1 day after racking the beer out) but I also want to have the beer in kegs for the brew day.

My question: Will the yeast cakes be ok sitting at 68F for a day before I rack more wort onto them?

1 day should not be a problem. The colder you can store it the better. Ideally you'd store it in a fridge.

Or you could just take a scoop or 2 and make a fresh starter. I think the starter would be preferable to pitching on the cake.

If you're going to put a new beer on the old yeast cake, be sure to remove at least half of the old yeast. Too little yeast is bad for beer, but so is too much yeast. I'd second maida7 and suggest a starter. Or even try washing the yeast. It's pretty easy if you haven't tried it.

Latest posts

Back