No wonder I am having trouble cooling my wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two homemade ICs. The old one was made from 20' of 1/2" copper, which I later replaced with one made from 50' of 3/8" copper. I use the old IC as a pre-chiller. In the summer when the water is warm, and/or when I want to chill to low temps for lagers, I use both chillers connected with short lengths of hose in series. Once the wort's temp gets close to the water temp, I drop the pre-chiller into a big bucket of ice to finish the chilling process. I've managed to get wort temps down to upper 40s, using 65F groundwater.

I have two homemade ICs. The old one was made from 20' of 1/2" copper, which I later replaced with one made from 50' of 3/8" copper. I use the old IC as a pre-chiller. In the summer when the water is warm, and/or when I want to chill to low temps for lagers, I use both chillers connected with short lengths of hose in series. Once the wort's temp gets close to the water temp, I drop the pre-chiller into a big bucket of ice to finish the chilling process. I've managed to get wort temps down to upper 40s, using 65F groundwater.

This is what I do with my two 20ft sections. But I was used to water that never gets above 70 degrees mid summer. Now in March/April in Fla the water temperature is now close to or at 80 degrees. It caught me by surprise.

This is what I do with my two 20ft sections. But I was used to water that never gets above 70 degrees mid summer. Now in March/April in Fla the water temperature is now close to or at 80 degrees. It caught me by surprise.

I'm guessing you'll be prechilling your water all the time now. The price you pay for living in a warm climate. ;) Plus, since there is no freeze risk there, they probably bury water mains shallow, which allows that incoming water to warm up nicely.

Tucson here. I've seen my "cold" water as high as 90 in the dead of summer. Usually its somewhere around 80-85. I pass it thru my immersion chiller until I hit about 100. The runoff gets sent to a nearby tree well. I then stop running it off and add a bag of ice to it and recirc until I get below 70.

Back