No Siphon (DOH!) for 2 w/o Cider- Leave in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mope

Reaction score
OK Guys and Gals, It has been exactly 2 weeks since I started carboy 1 of about 3 gallons of cider. It's airlocked via a rubber cork, but I don't have a siphoning tool or another available carboy as of yet. Can you let it sit on the yeast for an extended period of time? I've heard you can and others are against it. It was fresh Lalvin EC-1118 so I didn't reuse. My current method is bottle, freeze it in plastic to murk the yeast, wait a day or two and put in the fridge to let it thaw out a bit. I have it down to where the yeast is gone, cloudiness is minimal, etc.

Is it possible to safely pull the airlock quickly, force a siphoning hose in there and do it that way? Or should I let it sit on that cake? I tend to just do things and hope for the best. :mug:

This batch is still on its lees, and it will be 3 months on 12/16. I am getting very nervous and don't know how to rack to a secondary, as I don't have a siphon and I am not sure what to do next. The 1 gallon batches I'd make in 10 days were much easier, but this is a little more involved. Any suggestions?

An auto-siphon is one of the best $9-13 investments you can make in brewing.

I'm not sure I fully understand the method you've been using.

jsDC said:
An auto-siphon is one of the best $9-13 investments you can make in brewing. I'm not sure I fully understand the method you've been using.
agreed...auto siphon and vinator are two must haves

Get a auto-siphon and a second equivalent container. Siphon from the original container to the second container, leave the lees behind. Then airlock it.

A length of tubing works just fine as a syphon in a pinch. Sanitize it. Put almost the whole hose in your cider to fill it up. Plug one end with your thumb leaving the other end in the cider. Lower the thumb end below your cider vessel into your secondary vessel and release your thumb. (ie: sit the primary on the counter and the secondary on the floor) Some use their mouth to start the flow and I admit I've done it before in an emergency, but would advise against it. Gravity is your friend. ;)

A piece of =/- 5/16 tubing works well use it for many things to include with my auto-siphon. It works well however no protection against sucking up trub. And yes the primary safety should be your head.

Unfortunately an auto-siphon is not an option at this time.

How are you going to bottle the cider if you have no tubing or anything?

A siphon is easy. Just use some tubing (from Home Depot or wherever), and sanitize it. Fill it with water, put your thumb over the end and then put one end in the cider with your thumb still on the other end, and the end lower than the cider. Remove your thumb, and the cider will flow.

It's best to practice with water at first, to get the hang of it. But I'm an old winemaker and it's super easy to do with a little practice. There are probably lots of youtube videos if I didn't explain it well.

You never want to pour wine, beer, or cider to another vessel so you will need to rack the cider out to bottle it.

If you can't get the cider out of the carboy, you won't be able to bottle it or drink it so eventually you may want to remedy that.

Back