No mash out fly sparge for 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
I have basically been brewing 5 gallon all grain batches with my 11.7 gallon mash tun and doing a mash out and then fly sparging.

I want to do a 10 gallon batch but my mash tun would not be large enough to add in enough water to do the mash out.

I have read that I can just heat up my sparge water to a much higher temp in order to get the mash above 170 so that I am effectively doing a mash out. Is this true and if so what water temp would you recommend I heat the sparge water to? Is this what people do when they don't perform a mash out step. It seems like it would take awhile to get the mash temp over 170.

Welcome any advice on this. Thank you.

Might be time to try batch sparging :)

Regarding your original question, it will be very difficult to predict what effect skipping a mashout will have on your beer, many factors at play. Depends on what your goals are with respect to attenuation? You could try mashing a little higher temp and shorter duration given that you will likely have longer rest time without the mashout.

Modern malts convert quickly, so a 60 minute mash plus a mashout could just be exercise.

Interesting thread on pro brewer titled "10 minute mash" whereby lots of small brewers are only mashing 10-20 minutes and starting vorlauf and then sparging.

I suggest trying it without a mashout, your results may not be all that different???

Not following you... if it will hold the mash it is big enough to mash out. I don't add water to mash out, I just raise the mash to 170, cover and let it rest 10 minutes. Then sparge like normal...

We fly sparge all our English ales with no mash out at a high sparge temp (around 77C, 170F) works a treat for anything 10 Gal and above (my tun with this volume sits at 67C anyway) and rapidly comes up to 75C with a 77C sparge liquor beers come out very British but delish.... and very efficient ... on a 20 US Gal batch we can get 80-85% plant efficiency....

Not following you... if it will hold the mash it is big enough to mash out. I don't add water to mash out, I just raise the mash to 170, cover and let it rest 10 minutes. Then sparge like normal...

I can't raise the temp. It's a cooler mash tun. Do you suggest just using extra hot sparge water ?

I can't add heat to mash tun. It's a cooler. Do you suggest hotter than normal sparge water.

I can't add heat to mash tun to raise temp. It's a cooler. Should I just use extra hot sparge water?

the mash out is mainly to stop the enzymes and creating a so called repeatable beer, its not really going to change the flavor just the final gravity or attenuation might be slightly different with multiple batches over and over, for most people you wont know the difference, add 170 degree sparge water during your fly sparge and you'll be fine, it will drop and thats good too to prevent off flavors

Back