No Lid On Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast-fish

Reaction score
I've been brewing for several years, and I don't use a lid on my primary.

I use a 10 gallon bucket and after I pitch the yeast, I cover it with a sanatized plastic drop cloth. I figure that the co2 from the fermentation is active enough during the primary fermentation that it will provide all the protection that I need.

I've never lost a batch due to contamination.

I do use a carboy and a water lock for the secondary.

The last issue of BYO talked about open fermentors.... I mean really open.. no plastic or antyhing.

There are styles that are made only in open fermenters, traditional Belgians for example. The main "bugs" a homebrewer has to worry about are Lactobacillus and Pediococcus bacteria (which are neccessary for Belgians). After a few batches, your brewing area will be infected with these strains regardless of what you are brewing. Good sanitation and keeping things covered will do the trick. I like airlocks, it's easier to monitor the ferment and having a lid on the bucket maens less slop if you have to move it.

I know a few pros that won't do Belgians because it can be difficult to get rid of the strains afterwards.

North Peak Brewery in Traverse City, MI uses gigantic 10-barrel fermenters. They are cubical in shape, stainless steel, and completely topless. Krausen often will rise and flow right down the front of the fermenter, in plain sight of the drinking and dining customers. Excellent beer there, too!

Jim Karr said:
North Peak Brewery in Traverse City, MI uses gigantic 10-barrel fermenters. They are cubical in shape, stainless steel, and completely topless. Krausen often will rise and flow right down the front of the fermenter, in plain sight of the drinking and dining customers. Excellent beer there, too!

That kicks ass!

:rockin::rockin::rockin:

That does sound cool. I used to know a farmer who made strawberry wine in his barn...had it in a plastic tub and covered it with some old cheesecloth. I don't know if it was infected or just not a good recipe, but it tasted like crap. We drank it anyways and swapped war stories. Actually, I didn't have any war stories, but he had some pretty good ones.

Baron von BeeGee said:
That does sound cool. I used to know a farmer who made strawberry wine in his barn...had it in a plastic tub and covered it with some old cheesecloth. I don't know if it was infected or just not a good recipe, but it tasted like crap. We drank it anyways and swapped war stories. Actually, I didn't have any war stories, but he had some pretty good ones.

Strawberry wine does not taste like you would think it would. I did not age mine long enough.

Back