No kreusen with 05 in a dark beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singybrue

Reaction score
I brewed a 2.5g Left Hand Milk Stout clone on monday. Pitched a full packet of un-rehydrated 05 at 64 and put in in the ferm chamber at 65.
Three days later and there has been no kreusen/goop at the top. It seems to be fermenting, though as my OG was 1.070 and the hydrometer reading I took today is 1.035ish.
Is it normal for there to be no kreusen in a dark beer? I usually brew APA/IPA and there has always been a good amount.:confused:

I used US05 in an imperial stout a couple months ago, and as I recall, there was krausen. Looking back at my notes, I rehydrated, but I don't think that this would account for the presence or absence of krausen once things got rolling.

The fact that the gravity is dropping is an encouraging sign. Did you taste the sample when you checked the gravity? Seem like it tasted "normal"?

I've got a variant of Andes Mint Chocolate stout in primary right now with US05. It's reached a stable FG of 1.014 without ever having formed krausen.

I did a bit of reading, and the best I can figure out is that, sometimes, it just happens that way.

kreusen is just a second result of fermentation and has NO direct effect on fermentation. if your gravity goes down then your fermenting.

Latest posts

Back