No hop flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adyb

Reaction score
So the last 2 beers I've brewed have no hop flavour at all. I've just switched to a fermzilla all rounder and am doing a closed loop transfer, so o2 shouldnt be an issue. I think the problem is with sanitation as I've been using a different no rinse sanitiser(chemsan) and I've checked the pH and it's just over 6 instead of under 3 where it needs to be so is probably totally ineffective. I would have thought I would still be able to taste some hop flavour, but there is none, does this sound right?

I'd be surprised if an ineffective sanitiser would be the source of lost hop flavor, assuming there are no other off flavors.

What are the age of your hops, and how are you storing them? What was your hop schedule on a recent batch?

I'd be surprised if an ineffective sanitiser would be the source of lost hop flavor, assuming there are no other off flavors.

What are the age of your hops, and how are you storing them? What was your hop schedule on a recent batch?
18 g Target — Boil — 60 min
10 g
Galaxy — Boil — 10 min
10 g
Motueka — Boil — 10 min
30 g
Galaxy — Boil — 0 min
30 g
Motueka — Boil — 0 min
40 g
Galaxy — Dry Hop — 5 days
40 g
Motueka- Dry Hop — 5 days

This was the hops schedule for the last batch, 23litres.
hops purchased from a reliable retailler all vaccum sealed and used pretty much straight away.
Sulphate level in the water was just over 200.
yeast was us-05.
Tasted great out the fermenter then just no hop flavour after about 2-3 weeks in the keg.
The beer tasted pretty clean, although there may have been the slightest sour taste in it, which is why I thought the sanitiser and as I still had some stored I tested it and ph was over 6.

Latest posts

Back