No harm no foul, I hope....???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marathon06

Reaction score
I began day 6 of fermentation today. Brewing a pale ale using WL Burton Ale Yeast. Optimum fermentation temp is 68-73 degrees. Pitched at 70ish and the temp stayed around 71-72 for the first 24 hours then dropped to 66-68 where it has been for the last four days. This morning it was around 64 so I strapped a small heating pad on to the bucket to being the temp up. I have used this method se real times before and it works very similar the the heating belts used for brewing. I forgot to turn it off before I left for work and went home at lunch to find it at 72 degrees. Still within the optimum range bit will I have off flavors from bringing the temp from 64 to 72 in about 5-6 hours? OS that too much of a change too fast?

I don't know about off flavors from the temperature change, but was the 68-73 degrees for optimum fermentation supposed to be the ambient temperature? Remember that the beer will be warmer than the temperature of the room it's in during fermentation. I think I read somewhere on here that it could be up to five degrees warmer in the center of your fermenter than the air temperature.

You will probably not have any problems from the higher temperature since it is less of an issue at the end of fermentation than at the beginning.

I have had great success fermenting at the low end of yeasts optimum range. I feel that it produces a better flavor than even staying within range at the high end. A lot of advice I have read on this forum is to stay in the low to mid sixties for most ale yeasts.

kh54s10 said:
You will probably not have any problems from the higher temperature since it is less of an issue at the end of fermentation than at the beginning.

I have had great success fermenting at the low end of yeasts optimum range. I feel that it produces a better flavor than even staying within range at the high end. A lot of advice I have read on this forum is to stay in the low to mid sixties for most ale yeasts.

That is exactly what I was trying to do, keep it at the low range or below the low range bit 64 seemed too low. I was o.ly going to bump up the temp a couple degrees to 66-68 but totally spaced and forgot to turn the heat off.

Back