no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrphij

Reaction score
HELP!!!!!!!
I brewed a Cream Ale on Sunday and still no air lock activty as of this morning (Tuesday)....that's about 36 hours...should I re-pitch some yeast?...
here is the recipe
3lbs extra light DME
3.3 lbs light LME
8oz Pale Malt
8 oz flaked maize
8 oz flaked rice

grains steep at 155 for 30 min

extract boiled for 60 min total

hops
.5oz Mt Hood 60 min
.5oz Mt Hood 30 min
1 oz Centennial 5 min
Irish Moss 15 min

I forget what type of yeast.......

have you cracked the lid to see if there are any signs of a kraeusen that formed. like a ring of gunk about 1-2" above the level of the green beer?
when you look, clean/sanitize your hydrometer and take a reading to see what the SG is and let us know.

just checked....there is krausen and the gravity went from Sunday OG 1.046 to now 1.020.....I checked the airlock Sunday night, Monday Am, Monday PM and today I saw no activity could it have finished overnight Sunday?...the target gravity is 1.008-1.014...does this have a chance of getting there?

if there is still a kraeusen (rocky head) on top of the wort, then let it ride for a couple more days. make sure the lid on the primary and the air lock are in snug. co2 must have found another way out of there. it'll be okay. i'd give it till the end of the week, then rack. is it a little cool where the primary is at?

okay, then i'd still let it ride a couple more days, then rack it to secondary. if you go straight to bottles from primary, i'd leave it in the primary for a total of 10 days before you bottle (for an average strength ale).

Back