No Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
Well this is the first time I've ever had a yeast not start within 24 hours. I brewed up a stout yesterday and pitched a pack of Notttinghams when the wort reached 70f. Every time I've used Nottinghams in the past I've had activity with 12 hours. This time Im not getting anything and its been over 24 hours. Should I toss another packet into the beer or give it another day?

Heres the recipe if it matters,

6lbs DME
1 lb crystal
1/2 lb roasted barley
1/4 lb black patent
1 cup molasses
1 oz magnum

I've got my fementation bucket sitting in a swamp cooler full of water that reads 61f.

Any suggestions? RDWHAHB?

Drunkagain said:
Well this is the first time I've ever had a yeast not start within 24 hours. I brewed up a stout yesterday and pitched a pack of Notttinghams when the wort reached 70f. Every time I've used Nottinghams in the past I've had activity with 12 hours. This time Im not getting anything and its been over 24 hours. Should I toss another packet into the beer or give it another day?

Heres the recipe if it matters,

6lbs DME
1 lb crystal
1/2 lb roasted barley
1/4 lb black patent
1 cup molasses
1 oz magnum

I've got my fementation bucket sitting in a swamp cooler full of water that reads 61f.

Any suggestions? RDWHAHB?

When you say "no activity", do you just mean in the airlock? My bucket lid never seals tightly no matter how hard I hammer or sit on it, so I rarely have airlock activity during primary in a bucket. Have you opened the lid to check for krausen? Have you checked the SG to see if it has attenuated at all?

In my (limited) experience, it is very rare to have a completely dead packet of dry yeast - but that could happen if it were seriously mishandled prior to you purchasing it. I would say wait another day, take a gravity reading, and then pitch more yeast if necessary.

Yeah, no airlock activity. I'm pretty lucky in that both my fermenting bucket have lids that seal tight. Very tight.

I know 61f is within tolerable range for Nottinghams, but was wondering if maybe its just cold enough to slow things down more than I'm used to. I haven't had the swamp cooler very long so usually my beers are fermenting a bit warmer.

Back