No Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcsewnab

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm on my 7th batch and decided to try liquid yeast for the first time. I brewed a Honey Weizen from Midwest. This is also my first batch with Honey. I upgraded to the White Labs Hefeweizen Ale 300 liquid yeast. I did not prepare a starter just left it out of the fridge for a few hours gave it a few good shakes and pitched it to 77 degree wort. This was Wednesday night about 7:00.

Well it's about 1:00AM Saturday and still no activity. I cracked the top on my ale pale yesterday to have a look and there wasn't any krausen. I sealed the top and gave it a swirl and after a day still nothing.

I read several posts about slow starting liquids with no started and the instructions say the honey could slow down fermentation but it;s been 3 1/2 days and there appears to be no activity. How long do I have to wait before I can assume that the yeast is a dud?

Because I upgraded Midwest did send me the original yeast that comes with the base kit. I am thinking of tossing that in pretty soon.

All my other batches ferm'd and carb'd fine. Just looking for input.

I forgot to add that the pale is in the basement and the therm on the pale reads between 68-70 degrees.

Thanks,
Jason

Step one is to take a gravity reading, just to be sure.

If you ARE right and nothing has happened, it's probably time to re-pitch. Really, it can't hurt.

Back