No Clean Between Keg Fills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmberger21

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title lends, I am thinking of transferring an IPA from my carboy straight to an empty, 'unclean', keg that just kicked last night. There was a pale ale in the keg before. Would there be any issue with this? I mean I wouldn't wanna do this every time but I'm going from a pale ale to an IPA and to me it's just more beer going into the keg. I don't clean my glass every time I pour another beer, why would I need to clean the keg? Plus the keg is filled with nothing but CO2 at this point and would avoid oxidation as I siphon the IPA into it.

I do this as well. I think its a judgement call on what beer was in there and what beer is going in.

I give my kegs a quick rinse in the tub everytime. Theres always some yeast and hops that settled on the bottom. It takes about 2 minutes so why not get it out. I give an Oxiclean soak every 5 batches or so.

I think it will work, but I gotta wonder why you don't take 10-15 minutes to wash it out quick and shake some sanitizer around in there before refilling. I've never timed myself, but I bet I can do all of that in about 10 minutes.

I give my kegs a quick rinse in the tub everytime. Theres always some yeast and hops that settled on the bottom. It takes about 2 minutes so why not get it out. I give an Oxiclean soak every 5 batches or so.

That ^
I don't want the stuff that has settled on the bottom mixed in again. Some is the low floc yeast population and other beer-clouding suspensions that the cold crash hadn't removed yet.

The only 2 benefits of not cleaning the keg are:

• Saving 10-20 minutes it takes to clean and resanitize.
  • The keg is filled with CO2, so ready for an oxygen-free transfer.
I guess you could add some Starsan (without opening the lid), swirl the cake up, then purge through the liquid out diptube. Repeat until clear.

Back