No-chill and DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I've been using the no chill method for several batches now and most of them have a medicinal, plastic like off flavor. I've read that DMS can be reabsorbed during a slow cold break. anyone else have experience with this?

I've had the same problem when using the no chill method. I never figured out what was causing the plastic/medicinal flavor. I have now stopped using the no chill and don't have the problem any longer. I would love to know what causes that flavor.

Thanks for the reply. I've ruined far too many batches and the whole time I thought it was infection. On the bright side I've become the most sanitary brewer I know and learned a ton about proper brewing technique. No chill no more.

I've been no-chill brewing for over a year, with many experienced brewers not detecting a single off flavor. It would not be my first guess. Why not brew a batch, pour the first half into a fermenter, and chill the other half with a wort chiller? Worst case, you're out 2.5g of beer.

Latest posts

Back