No carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirbstreet51

Reaction score
So, after two weeks (plus a day) my beer that was bottled has no carbonation. Like zero. It is almost as though I didn't put any priming sugar in, even though I know I did. Now this beer is a higher ABV (9.45%) so does that matter with the carbonation?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Really big beers take a long time to carbonate. I've got a roughly 10 percent ABV Scottish wee heavy that's been in bottles for about three weeks and has no carbonation, just a little pressure releasing when I open the bottle. I'm just planning to let it sit for several months. Eventually it should get there.

How long was the beer in primary, what yeast did you use, and what temperature are you carbonating at?

I used wyeast and the beer is sitting in my closet right around 70 degrees. It was in the primary for about ten days and in the secondary for almost two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Really big beers take a long time to carbonate. I've got a roughly 10 percent ABV Scottish wee heavy that's been in bottles for about three weeks and has no carbonation, just a little pressure releasing when I open the bottle. I'm just planning to let it sit for several months. Eventually it should get there.

+1. Big beers need more time. Give it another 2 weeks and if there really is no carb at all, you can consider other options.

What are the other options?
I have a low gravity pale ale that had been in bottles for two weeks at 70 and I get barely a hiss when opened. Still more time? I'm pretty sure I under pitched the yeast, would that affect?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Home Brew mobile app

Back