No cabronation in my barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BREW-K

Reaction score
Be had my brew bottled for about 3 months and I have no carbonation. I tried CO2 drops but that didn't seem to help. How much carbonation should a barley wine have? My next option is to unbottle it and keg it.

Some wines are still. I have a still barleywine. Also, big beers take longer than normal to carb. How's it taste?

Do nothing. Wait. A high gravity beer can often take months to carb. I waited seven months to get the carbonation level I wanted from a 10% Belgian.

Tastes ok but just no carbonation. Just a bit worried cause I brewed in may of 2010. Shouldn't it be ready by now?

Brewed 20 months ago but three months in the bottle. As to carbonation, no, it might well not :should" be ready by now. Give it time.

Did you add yeast when you bottled? If not, there might not have been a huge amount of healthy yeast in solution to carbonate it (relatively) quickly.

Added yeast to primary not secondary. Brew was in the secondary for 5 months. Maybe it just takes more time but recipe said it should be ready in 8-10 mos.

What temperature is it at? It might be too cold to carbonate. Maybe put a bottle or two somewhere around 70F and see what happens after a couple of weeks.

Back