No bubbles yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siet6773

Reaction score
Making my first batch ever. I have no bubble yet in my air lock after a full 24hrs of adding the yeast. However when i added the yeast i dumped it in the 5 gal batch and stirred every well, instead of hydrating the yeast before i dumped it into the batch as i was instructed to do. Could that be the problem?

Making my first batch ever. I have no bubble yet in my air lock after a full 24hrs of adding the yeast. However when i added the yeast i dumped it in the 5 gal batch and stirred every well, instead of hydrating the yeast before i dumped it into the batch as i was instructed to do. Could that be the problem?

From my limited experience, yeast don't always follow the typical time lines. One person may find it taking off after a few hours, others it may take a day or 2. Looking for bubbles in the airlock isn't a good measure of whether fermentation is happening or not.

There are several things that may have impact on when your fermentation starts. I don't know what your temperature is, but temperature has probably the biggest impact to a ferment.

Personally speaking, I've never had a ferment take longer than a few hours to start, but I always use a starter. Having a large amount of yeast cells to begin with gives you a better chance at a strong and unimpeded ferment.

Edit: spelling

The other thing that comes to mind is if your cider has preservatives in it. That will defiantly put the kibosh on a good start to fermentation. If you find that the cider you are using has preservatives in it, it is possible to overcome them with a big starter, however its a roll of the dice.

With that said, I don't think you have anything to worry about until you've passed a couple days. Consider proofing or creating a starter in the future.

no preservatives, but i do have it in the crawl space of my basement. Probably about 55 degrees F.
I just swirled it around. we will wait to and see what happens.

Wait 72 hours for any visible signs of fermentation, even after that fermentation may not be visible. Your best chance and knowing if it is fermenting is testing the specific gravity by a hydrometer.

If it's still not doing anything at 72 hours, chuck in some nutrient, wait 24 hours. If it isn't doing anything then, repitch yeast.

no preservatives, but i do have it in the crawl space of my basement. Probably about 55 degrees F.
I just swirled it around. we will wait to and see what happens.

What kind of yeast did you use? 55 is on the chilly side. You might elect to bring it upstairs till it gets started then putting back down stairs?

Are you using a bucket or carboy? A bucket can leak and not necessarily show activity in the airlock.

On my batch that I just bottled I used dry yeast and it didn't start until ~35 hours after pitching.

On my second batch almost 48hrs into it no bubbles yet. I used red star cote des blancs this time. I know it is a slower yeast am i being to impatient?

Back