No bubbles in bottles ;(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivercat96

Reaction score
Brewed a nut brown ale extract with a OG of 1048 and FG of 1016. The beer took a little while longer to begin fermentation but it definitely did the job. I activated the Wyeast smack pack a week before I brewed and think that may be the culprit? I let the brew stay in the primary for 4 weeks. I added the usual 4 ounces of priming sugar that comes in the Northern Brewer recipe kits to 2 cups of water and then siphoned 5 gallons of beer on top of it. I mixed it well and then bottled the brew.

The beer has been conditioning for about 2 weeks in a closet that is 68 degrees. I usually try a beer after about a week or two to see how it's progressing but both of the bottles I tried had zero or nearly zero carbonation. Any ideas? This is my 7th extract brew and I've never had this problem before. Should I add carb tabs or just shake the bottles a bit and wait another week or two? The beer tastes great and I don't want to waste this batch. :confused:

p.s. Just remembered that I did not let the priming sugar and water which was very hot cool before I siphoned the beer on top. Could that have killed some of the yeast?

Rivercat96 said:
Brewed a nut brown ale extract with a OG of 1048 and FG of 1016. The beer took a little while longer to begin fermentation but it definitely did the job. I activated the Wyeast smack pack a week before I brewed and think that may be the culprit? I let the brew stay in the primary for 4 weeks. I added the usual 4 ounces of priming sugar that comes in the Northern Brewer recipe kits to 2 cups of water and then siphoned 5 gallons of beer on top of it. I mixed it well and then bottled the brew.

The beer has been conditioning for about 2 weeks in a closet that is 68 degrees. I usually try a beer after about a week or two to see how it's progressing but both of the bottles I tried had zero or nearly zero carbonation. Any ideas? This is my 7th extract brew and I've never had this problem before. Should I add carb tabs or just shake the bottles a bit and wait another week or two? The beer tastes great and I don't want to waste this batch. :confused:

p.s. Just remembered that I did not let the priming sugar and water which was very hot cool before I siphoned the beer on top. Could that have killed some of the yeast?

When you write that you smacked the pack a week before you brewed, that got me to wondering if you are reading the directions each time you brew. I brewed a number of NB kits and they always indicate when to smack the pack, hours before pitching.

Anyway, you may want to look at your brewing processes and begin to nail them for consistency.

A closet at 68F is good. Two weeks may be a bit early to begin worrying though. The warm water would have been diluted fairly soon during racking. I for one do not think that is going to be an issue.

You will most likely have great tasting beer in a couple of weeks.

Good luck

#1. Get another batch going right away...That'll help keep your mind off of this deal.
#2 RDWHAHB...Not a flat one.
I had an American Ale Kit take almost a year before everything was right in the bottle. I could have dinked with it...but It ended up 100% all by itself. I don't know why or how, but I'm sure glad I left it to work it's issues out on its own.

Gammon, thanks for the advice. I knew that I activated the yeast way to early, I did read that a couple of hours was all that was needed. Life got in the way of brewing ;(

BigKahuna, I like the idea of starting another batch, got a coffee porter that I'll be brewing with the old lady this weekend. Man, can't believe that it took a year for your brew to carb up and condition. I'm not that patient, well I might have to work on that with this hobby.

Thanks for the tips.

Roll the bottles around and rouse the yeast. Boiling water probably killed a few, but not enough to be a problem. Highly flocculate yeasts might settle before carbing.

Rivercat96 said:
Gammon, thanks for the advice. I knew that I activated the yeast way to early, I did read that a couple of hours was all that was needed. Life got in the way of brewing ;(

BigKahuna, I like the idea of starting another batch, got a coffee porter that I'll be brewing with the old lady this weekend. Man, can't believe that it took a year for your brew to carb up and condition. I'm not that patient, well I might have to work on that with this hobby.

Thanks for the tips.

I really like Kahuna's advice. Get back on the saddle.

One thing I found of help is to use a brewing software. I use Beersmith. That system then provides me a brew sheet including steps that I need to take as I brew. It is my , "lesson Plan" for the brew.

I also have a number of 3X5 cards that I tape with special intstrutions as needed. That might be, "3.97 gallons sparge water", that I have measured out before hand and have sitting in a pot.

I do things like measure out my hops beforehand, bag them and then line them up on a table in order of placement to the brew kettle. Many brewers do this type of thing. Why?

It keeps us organized and we do not forget important steps. (Read on this board long enough and you will see posts like, "I forgot to add my hops, is my beer ruined?")

Many of us strive to develop consistency in our brewing process with the hope that we will then gain consistency with our final products. We can then predict what our beer might taste like.

Don't shake the bottles, just roll them like David said.
Give it another week, somethimes it will spring into action all of a sudden.
Don't use "the standard 4oz corn sugar". Use this.
That little hot sugar water with that much beer will not make or break you.
Don't add carb tabs, but if you do, make sure the beer is very cold when you add them or else it will go crazy and overflow.

Some beers don't begin to fully carb even after the 3 weeks of bottle conditioning that is recommended...I had a stout that finnaly perked up after 5 weeks... Like the others have said, re rouse the yeast...also move them to a warmer place than where you have them stored...They will probably be fine in a few more weeks.

I add my hot water to the bottle bucket as well with no problems. It probably will kill some yeast but nothing that will have any major affect. I wait 3 weeks at 68 rolling the beers every couple days, and than put in cool place for a week minimum and than taste. The beer has to be at a cooler temp for the co2 to dissolve back into solution. If the beer is in a fridge for a day and than opened you probably will have nothing. As for patience..learn it.. becasue the best beers need time to age in the bottle. This is why home brewers are always brewing another batch..

After awhile you will have 4 or 5 batches in the bottle and than you need not worry about aging for a few months.:ban:

Jay

I was JUST about to post about my Red Ale and the woes I am having with carbonation. I use the standard 5oz pack of priming sugar in my beer so far and had not encountered problems until this batch. Its been 2 weeks now in the bottle and there is no carb! I also don't want this batch to be a waste. I suppose ill just keep giving it more time. when you guys say "rolling" the beers, is that literally just rolling them around or is it a term for something else? Also, is there any better sugars than what im using for carbonating or are the 5oz packs ok?

Not trying to hijack the post, but I was planning on priming my IPA with DME and it will be my first time doing this. Are there any negatives to doing this?

EamusCatuli said:
I was JUST about to post about my Red Ale and the woes I am having with carbonation. I use the standard 5oz pack of priming sugar in my beer so far and had not encountered problems until this batch. Its been 2 weeks now in the bottle and there is no carb! I also don't want this batch to be a waste. I suppose ill just keep giving it more time. when you guys say "rolling" the beers, is that literally just rolling them around or is it a term for something else? Also, is there any better sugars than what im using for carbonating or are the 5oz packs ok?

Yep, giving them a gentle roll to rerouse the yeast.

I don't think there's any problem with using the priming sugar...My experience is that 2 weeks is really too early. Common wisdom is that 3 weeks is the earliest that the brew will be ready, and some take even more time....Patience is the friend of great beers.:mug:

Big10Seaner said:
Not trying to hijack the post, but I was planning on priming my IPA with DME and it will be my first time doing this. Are there any negatives to doing this?

Do a thread search, there was a thread with great info on it either earlier this week or late last week.

Thanks everybody for the moral support and good ideas. I'll be rolling some bottles tomorrow and will wait a few more weeks. Note to self, have more than one batch conditioning just in case. :mug:

I guess I should do some reading before I post a question:) I would have found the answer.

Being patient is the toughest part...I guess it will come with time.

Here is a pic of my first beer!

CHEERS!!

American Amber Ale.jpg

I wanted to report that one week after I rolled and tipped my bottles of brew there is now plenty of carbonation. Last week there were a few bubbles and tonight when I cracked one open after chilling it for a few hours it had plenty. Thanks again folks for the advice. The beer is great, my girlfriend is happy and life is good yet again.

Duker, nobody likes a show off or a smart ass. :tank:

Kayos said:
Don't shake the bottles, just roll them like David said.
Give it another week, somethimes it will spring into action all of a sudden.
Don't use "the standard 4oz corn sugar". Use this.
That little hot sugar water with that much beer will not make or break you.
Don't add carb tabs, but if you do, make sure the beer is very cold when you add them or else it will go crazy and overflow.

Dude, that is the recipator. I spend quite a bit of time there.

Latest posts

Back