No-boil starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bluewagons

Reaction score
So this is one of those Here's-what-I-did-is-it-bad threads.

I needed to make a starter for brewing this weekend but did not have access to a pot or stovetop. So instead I added DME and yeast nutrient to a sanitized 1-gallon jug, and then added ~190 degree water that had been boiled in the microwave and cooled a bit. I managed to not shatter the glass jug, and shook it all up and it seemed to dissolve pretty well.

So anyone make starters this way? I know there are no-boil beer kits so I figure this can't be that far off.

The water was between 180-190 if that's what you are asking. The DME was warm as I had been preheating the jug to lessen the chances of shattering it with the hot water.

I have always made my starters like this. Just a 1000ml of hot water around 170 degrees, add 1/2 lb of DME, shake, add yeast and starter is made. Nothing to it.

I didn't even boil anything, just santized a growler added 1LB DME and yeast pack with nutrients to room temperature tap water. Did it last night, smells yeasty this AM. Hope it works....

So, how did the beer turn out? It has had time to go bad if it was going to. If the beer is ok I may start making my starters that way (without the family distractions).

And to answer teh question why I sanitized but used tap water, I am also a baker, I clean and sanitize my work surface and utensils but always use tap water with my yeasts and sourdough starters. Seemed logical to me - beer is liquid bread right?:)

Back