No-Boil Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norrisk66

Reaction score
I spent some time a few weeks ago at the GABF Pro-Am booth. Many great beers-there were several that I enjoyed quite a bit.

There was one that caught my attention- a "No-Boil" pale-ale I believe?

Up til now, I was not familiar with this technique, and can't find much information on it (including this site).

Can anyone point me to a previous thread, or perhaps start a new one here?

Thanks in advance!
Keith

Was this one of those Brewhouse kits, where you basically buy a big bag of wort? They mess with the pH so they don't spoil, then give you the antidote.

Even the basic Cooper's and Munton's kits are no boil. You're supposed to just add to boiling water, but not boil the extract for any time.

If there's an advanced no boil technique, I'd be curious how it would work.

You could pasteurize the wort and then add hop extract to add bitterness then just ferment.....? i guess that's one way to do a no boil. Prob not what the OP is referring to though.

If you look at Berlinner Weisse recipes (and maybe other styles I'm not familiar with, too), you'll see the technique used quite heavily. Most of those are no-boil or low-boil (like 10 minutes) and they turn out just fine. There's also discussion on some of these recipes...they're in the Sour section of the recipes.

I usually find that I prefer low boil over no boil for my BW's, if anything just to give me piece of mind. The idea, though, is that you're adding enough "good stuff" to take over the environment such that "bad stuff" can't get a good foothold.

was the "No-Boil" pale-ale any good?

there are no-boil kits. you just mix extract with cool water and then pitch yeast.

jamil did this for a "brewcaster challenge", an head-to-head competition they do on The Sunday Session show. apparently his beer wasn't very good and he lost, but he admitted that he put almost no effort into it and used some funky hops.

was the "No-Boil" pale-ale any good?

I don't recall this brew being "anything to write home about..."

Perhaps it could have been a "Cooper's" style extract kit. As I have never been to a Pro-Am competition before- do people enter brews like this? Furthermore, would one have made it this far in a competition?

I tried to look up a complete list of entrants in this competition, but couldn't find anything other than the winners (and to no surprise the "no-boil" looks like it did not win anything...)

Keith

Back