No Boil Berliner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indytruks138

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of Berliner Weisse on Saturday. I did the no boil method of mashing, letting it cool to 115-110, and pitching my lactic starter. Plan was to give it 72 hours then pitch some White Labs American Ale, let it ferment 2 weeks and then throw into secondary for aging and souring more.

For my lactic starter I did three mason jars, each with a little over a cup of crushed 2-row and a little over a cup of hot water, aiming for about 105. I let that sit for a week, it was ripe, super lactic.

So the question, after 16 hours of just the lactic starter in the wort the airlock is going insane, 5-6 bubbles per second, non-stop. I didn't see this the first time and wasn't sure if lactobaccilus normally puts off this amount of co2 or if I may have some wild yeast or other reactions happening in the fermenter. Does anyone have experience seeing this before?

I will add my fermentation chamber has the fermentation heating pad in it and the chamber is sitting around 92 degrees F.

The White Labs Lacto culture puts off a lot of CO2. It also krausened with a nice bubbly head that was about 2-3 inches. I would imagine you have other bugs in there since you cultured from grains, so I don't know if you can be totally sure this is a Lacto fermentation, but considering the high temperature perfect for Lacto I would guess that it is.

Well, for an update I took a sample tonight and at around 90 degrees f it is now at 1.004, temp adjusts to about 1.006. The sample is chilling and I'll taste test it soon.

Back