No boil ale, bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nay3oni

Reaction score
Long story short, I won't be able to boil 5+ gal of water/wort with my stove for a while.

So, I was wondering if I were to brew a raw ale and want to add some IBUs, what will be the best way? I've read some people will usually do first wort hopping or mash hopping, and while this is a viable option, I don't think at mashing temperatures isomerization really occurs.

I was thinking about adding the bittering hops to a small amount of water (and maybe even adding some acid to drop the pH) and boiling it for 60 minutes to make a bitter hop tea and adding it at mash out. Will it work? I have read similar threads to this one but I haven't found any solid conclusion if this method works or not.

Thanks!

Hi same here. I have been making Raw Ale and boiling the hops in treated water during the mash time. Saves a lot of time. However I can't say I have got it right yet. Using about 50g in 1 litre of treated water but in the usual 3 stages. There is some bitterness for sure. I may try 50g in the whole 60 mins as I like my beers bitter. If you have found out anything useful or tried it yourself already I would be interested to know how it turned out.

The next plan is to make the beer and use some of the 2nd runnings that always seem to get left behind to boil hops in a pan whilst the wort is cooling.

Hi same here. I have been making Raw Ale and boiling the hops in treated water during the mash time. Saves a lot of time. However I can't say I have got it right yet. Using about 50g in 1 litre of treated water but in the usual 3 stages. There is some bitterness for sure. I may try 50g in the whole 60 mins as I like my beers bitter. If you have found out anything useful or tried it yourself already I would be interested to know how it turned out.

The next plan is to make the beer and use some of the 2nd runnings that always seem to get left behind to boil hops in a pan whilst the wort is cooling.

Just about a week ago I brewed my first raw ale and did a 1.7L hop tea with just 0.5oz of Zythos hops for 60 minutes; I added the tea after the mash out. The beer is still fermenting but I took a sample yesterday and it is pretty bitter. This method works, i'm not sure how to calculate the exact IBUs but the bitterness was definitely there.

Back