No Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STL_Lucas

Reaction score
So after brewing my first batch of beer about 3 weeks ago I knew I wasn't going to be able to wait until it was finished for another so on Saturday I bought another fermenter and started a second batch. The one thing I forgot was to buy a 2nd airlock and I didn't realize this until about 4:00 on Saturday when I was about halfway through my boil and the LHBS was closed. Since my beer that was already fermenting was already about 2.5 to 3 weeks in I went ahead and used the airlock for the new batch and put a sanitized piece of foil over the top of my carboy with a rubber band. Seems like it sealed up the carboy pretty well and there wasn't any more co2 coming out so I think everything is ok. I ordered two more airlocks and they'll be here today I was just wondering what the thoughts were on this carboy sitting for 4 days without an airlock just covered in foil like it is. Any risks here or is the consensus that everything should be alright?

Thanks for the help!

It's not ideal, but you should be fine.

And just for future reference, its a good idea to spend $20 on a bunch of little replacement parts - airlocks, tubes, gaskets, gromits, corks etc. Eventually, you are going to break them, lose them, or drop them in the wort :)

I think the alcohol will kill any nasties that might be present. My dad used to brew in a garbage can with a loose lid on it. I keep several emergency spares when it comes to air locks and racking equipment.

Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't too worried about it just wanted to confirm that everything would be alright. I did order 1 extra airlock this time so I will have three of them after my delivery today and only two fermenters. I also have an extra racking cane an extra hose and a few extra thermometers. I'll add another airlock or two and some extra hoses and grommits to the list to keep on hand. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back