No air lock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Reaction score
I just brewed my second all grain batch, so I had a lot of issues as am learning the my process. I first had some issues with the mash temp, my strike water was too hot and the mash started off at 160. So I added cold water and yes it dropped to 148, then I added some hot and got it to 154, where it steadied out; but it did drop to 148 at the end of the hour. I say all this as I am not sure if this could be a part of the problem. I am now at 24 hours and not a bubble in the airlock. I could have a leak in the bucket/lid since I can push on the lid and gets bubbles but when I release it does not suck back. So I pulled the air lock to look in and I see no krausen, but is 24 hours long enough to form a krausen?
To continue with the issues: My basement temps are usually at 67ish, but for some reason it is at 63, (even though its been fairly warm, for upstate NY) which low for Safale-05, where it has been for the first 12 hours. I now have a small heater on trying heat up the wort .
Reading other posts, I still need to be patient and check with a hydrometer after 48 hours, but I am concerned with the fluctuation in the temps of the mash? is that anything to be concerned with? It was high for a couple of minutes while I got cool water. and then it was low for a bit longer, which should give me a dryer finish due to the beta-amalyse (I think). Thoughts/ opinions please!!

You're good dude. It's fermenting. Don't pull the airlock anymore.
I had one take a full 48 hours to show signs of fermentation. Beer turned out great.
What was OG? Yeast? Pitching temp? Did you aerate?

I just brewed my second all grain batch, so I had a lot of issues as am learning the my process. I first had some issues with the mash temp, my strike water was too hot and the mash started off at 160. So I added cold water and yes it dropped to 148, then I added some hot and got it to 154, where it steadied out; but it did drop to 148 at the end of the hour. I say all this as I am not sure if this could be a part of the problem. I am now at 24 hours and not a bubble in the airlock. I could have a leak in the bucket/lid since I can push on the lid and gets bubbles but when I release it does not suck back. So I pulled the air lock to look in and I see no krausen, but is 24 hours long enough to form a krausen?
To continue with the issues: My basement temps are usually at 67ish, but for some reason it is at 63, (even though its been fairly warm, for upstate NY) which low for Safale-05, where it has been for the first 12 hours. I now have a small heater on trying heat up the wort .
Reading other posts, I still need to be patient and check with a hydrometer after 48 hours, but I am concerned with the fluctuation in the temps of the mash? is that anything to be concerned with? It was high for a couple of minutes while I got cool water. and then it was low for a bit longer, which should give me a dryer finish due to the beta-amalyse (I think). Thoughts/ opinions please!!

Do not check the beer in only 48 hours, it's pointless and opens yourself up for infection. Also leave the air lock alone like already said.

My first few beers I was the same way man, couldn't stop looking at it and messing with it..now once I put it where it going to go I hardly look at it for the next two/three weeks until I package.

As you keep brewing you will get this process down but for now just relax and wait it out. (the hardest part!)

Oh, about the Mash, if your strike water was to warm (which it must of been) then you did the right thing added cold water that's all you can do. It should be fine just next time really pay attention to your strike temps you will get it figure out soon!

The fluctuations in mash temperature will have an effect. It is not going to be ideal but not a disaster. Being high at the start it is likely to give you a little more of a malty or slightly sweeter beer. This may have been balanced out by being low later. The good news is it will most likely be good. Precise mash temperatures are needed to get exactly what you intended. If they are off (except to extremes) will only alter the flavor an maybe mouth feel.

The low temperature for fermentation might actually be good. You should be most concerned with the temperature of the wort rather than ambient. I like to keep US-05 at 64 -66 degrees. (wort temperature)

24 hours is way too early to get very much worried, especially it the wort temperature was low.

If you see krausen before 70 hours or so, there will not be any need to take a gravity reading. Just wait until all signs of fermentation have ended then you can take a reading. I would say at a minimum of 7-10 days.

Got it! As for the other details:
OG=1.052
I used the dry Safale-05 as I have done before always starts in 12 hours part of my worries.
The wort was 66-68 when i sprinkled on the yeast. As for the aeration I siphon from my brew kettle through a strainer and I assume the 15 minutes of splashing through the strainer is enough? I'm not at the point of an aeration stone just yet!

Thanks, I will sit tight for the week and hope all goes well! Go yeasties!

Got it! As for the other details:
OG=1.052
I used the dry Safale-05 as I have done before always starts in 12 hours part of my worries.
The wort was 66-68 when i sprinkled on the yeast. As for the aeration I siphon from my brew kettle through a strainer and I assume the 15 minutes of splashing through the strainer is enough? I'm not at the point of an aeration stone just yet!

Thanks, I will sit tight for the week and hope all goes well! Go yeasties!

Shhhhh! Don't say that to loudly on this forum or the whole thread will be hijacked about dry or re-hydrate. Going through the strainer should create enough aeration in my opinion also.

Shhhhh! Don't say that to loudly on this forum or the whole thread will be hijacked about dry or re-hydrate. Going through the strainer should create enough aeration in my opinion also.

Sooo...the fermentis spec sheet says you can use either method. I don't think there will be a "well actually". I've used both methods succesfully.

*about to take a drink too*

View attachment Safale-US-05-en.pdf

Sooo...the fermentis spec sheet says you can use either method. I don't think there will be a "well actually". I've used both methods succesfully.

*about to take a drink too*

I've been personally "well actually" b/c I like to pitch dry and have mentioned it....and yeah it has been a bad experience for me personally. I do know you can..and that's why I do but just a heads up since he is new...ppl a lot of ppl...frown on it openly.

I am experiencing the same thing. I let my curiosity get the best of me and I decided to open my fermentation vessel and get a SG reading after 72 hours. I noticed very little krausen, but there was definitely some activity going on. My temp hovers between 67 and 69 degrees. I've been frequently checking the airlock and I am yet to see any activity. I am new to homebrewing.

Info:
OG: 1.042
SG: 1.006

I took the SG reading from the top of the brew (i don't know if that makes a difference). Any ideas to why my airlock is staying dormant?

GIFEncoder.jpg

So I have read that aeration isn't as important with dry yeast. Is this true, or not?

Mike

Aeration is always important, regardless of the format of yeast.

I am experiencing the same thing. I let my curiosity get the best of me and I decided to open my fermentation vessel and get a SG reading after 72 hours. I noticed very little krausen, but there was definitely some activity going on. My temp hovers between 67 and 69 degrees. I've been frequently checking the airlock and I am yet to see any activity. I am new to homebrewing.

Info:
OG: 1.042
SG: 1.006

I took the SG reading from the top of the brew (i don't know if that makes a difference). Any ideas to why my airlock is staying dormant?

You're probably leaking Co2 from the seal in the bucket lid.

If you're using us-05, I have noticed when I have the pitching rate right I don't get much krausen either. I have a 1.081 beer going with it right now, it probably had a inch on top of it after 4 days but it had fermented about 60% of the way. I think it's just a characteristic of the yeast.

You're probably leaking Co2 from the seal in the bucket lid.

This! You will never see airlock activity if you keep allowing all of the CO2 to escape. So the more and more you do it...and keep waiting..its less likely to happen.

Leave it alone :)

You're good dude. It's fermenting. Don't pull the airlock anymore.
I had one take a full 48 hours to show signs of fermentation. Beer turned out great.
What was OG? Yeast? Pitching temp? Did you aerate?

This^^^ Definitely too early to make an assessment. Inasmuch as there is not a whole lot you can do right now, let it ride. If it's an equipment issue (faulty seal) you're still going to be OK. Airlock activity is no indication of what is actually going on in the fermenter, other than, "Hey, there's activity". If you throw yeast into wort, 99% of the time you're going to get fermentation. It is worse to keep checking it than to leave it alone.

So I have read that aeration isn't as important with dry yeast. Is this true, or not?

Mike

I always sanitize 2 buckets, rack from the kettle, then pour back and forth between the buckets 4 or 5 or 6 times.
I've had 1.104 beers come down to 1.008 using this aeration method and 2 packs of rehydrated 05.

Latest posts

Back